Chapter XIV

Terror in the Woods

"Here is my chance." Moo Young thought to himself,  "They have been left alone and unguarded. I can take all of them and feast. I will get my strength back and soon they will all know my power. Nothing can stop me now."   He began to back track to his den where he knew the injured members were. In his haste, Moo Young failed to realize where he was going and bumped into a nest of squirrels just above his den.  They immediately began to chatter and click at Moo Young in anger, scurrying up and down the tree making a huge clatter.

Immediately, Kangin, Ryewook and Siwon looked up and saw Moo Young running across the trees. Ryewook and Siwon began to yell.  Kangin reacted quickly and moved the injured members into the dense underbrush in an effort to hide them. He whispered to them to be quiet and rushed out to face the beast. Siwon tried to run after Kangin but Ryewook held him back realizing Siwon was in no condition to help.

Before leaving, the members had prepared rude weapons and left some with the injured boys to protect themselves just in case. Kangin rushed over to the stash left behind and quickly picked up one of the spears Yesung and Kyuhyun had whittled out of some branches they had collected.   "I am ready!!" he said under his breath as he ran toward Moo Young.

Moo Young reared up to his full height and leaped at Kangin. Kangin quickly ducked down and skid past him, burying a portion of the spear into Moo Young's leg.  He quickly got up and ran toward his weapons to grab another spear.  Moo Young staggered back and yelp in pain.  He pulled the spear out of his leg and turned to face Kangin in rage. "How dare he? He dares challenge me, a god." Moo Young thought to himself, "I will show him, I will show all of them!!"

Moo Young was now blinded by rage and pain.  He was no longer thinking rationally.  He ran toward Kangin and was able to grab him by the neck, with the intent of finishing him off.  In a brief moment of clarity, Moo Young realized that if he drained Kangin's blood now he would become violently ill, but he didn't care.  He was angry and wanted revenge.  Moo Young went in for the bite, but Kangin was prepared for it.  He plunged his hand into the side wound Hangeng had inflicted on Moo Young and twisted his fist. Moo Young was paralyzed with pain.  He let go of Kangin and moved back.  He did not expect this man to be so fast and strong.  Moo Young came to the realization that he had under estimated both the humans' skill and strength as well as his own weakness.

Moo Young started to retreat into the treeline.  Kangin was not going to let him go.  Here was his chance to get rid of this cursed animal once and for all. Kangin lunged at Moo Young and caught him by the ankle as he started to climb up the tree.  "Oh no you don't!!!" Kangin yelled out, "You are going nowhere!"  Despite his weakened state, Moo Young was still stronger than a human.  He dragged Kangin up the tree with him.  "Once I get him into the trees, I will be able to overpower him." Moo Young thought to himself knowing he had the advantage in the trees.  

As they climbed up higher, Kangin was desperately trying to grab onto a branch to stop from going any higher while still holding on to Moo Young.  Kangin remembered the wound he had given Moo Young in the leg and reached for it.  He shoved his thumb into the wound sending shots of pain up Moo Young's leg.  Moo Young let go and fell into the den with Kangin in tow.  

"​That's it! I have had enough!!" Moo Young snarled as he moved toward Kangin.  Kangin braced himself and took the full brunt of Moo Young fury. The two struggled in the den. Despite his obvious superior strength, Moo Young could not overtake Kangin.  Kangin was out for blood.  He was calculating his every move, making sure to take advantage of Moo Young's wounds in order to overpower him. 

The battle raged on and Kangin was wearing Moo Young down.  Moo Young realized that he would not last long if he continued with this fight. "I need to get out and away from here." Moo Young thought, "If the others get back, there is no telling what will happen."  Moo Young mustered up the last bit of strength he had and attacked Kangin full on, pushing him back to the edge of the den. Kangin desperately tried to get a foot hold, but the den floor was covered with bones and blood making it impossible to stand his ground.

Moo Young realized that he had finally gotten the upper hand and plunged his teeth in Kangin neck, drinking deeply of the warm elixir now flowing from the young man.  Kangin desperately tried to fight him off but the more he struggled the deeper the bite became.  Soon everything started to look fuzzy and Kangin could no longer focus.  He felt his consciousness leave him as a coldness sweep over him.