Coming Back

Just Not You

“WHAT?” I screamed at my father in his teak wooded office.

“Stop you childish behavior Siwon!”

“Father, you cant do this to me. You recruited some consultant and did not even tell me about it? Am I the CEO or are you?”.

“You may be the CEO, but I am the Chairman. I have all the rights to remove you from your position.” I told my very angry son to calm him down.

“Oh, you can’t do this to me!” I told my father

“Listen Siwon, I understand that you diligently want to lead this business, and I am just trying to help you. That’s all! This consultant is going to help the business and us. Once the business is launched and has taken off, it is all yours. In the mean time you can learn about the business too.”

“No dad, I still can’t accept the fact that you recruited someone without even telling me about it. I had totally no idea!”

“Would you have said ok, if I told you that I want to recruit a consultant?”

“of course not! but I would have thought about it!”

“We don’t have time for thinking Siwon. What is done is done. The consultant is here already and will be joining me for a meeting. I want you to be present.”

“Whatever! I still don’t like it.”

 

At exactly sharp 8.30 am Yan Suk was at my apartment with Sung Woo in the company car. I was very excited to meet the Chairman in person today. I picked up the stuff I need to show him and the ideas I have for Neon Lights. I dressed up in my favourite and lucky pencil skirt with a white shirt and matching balzer to go with it. I looked very professional and to break the monotony, I wore a golden belt that did not look flashy bu at the same time was attractive.

I saw the message on my phone indicating the arrival for the two men. So I rushed my breakfast and ran downstairs to find them in the same white mersedese. I boarded it and within 20 minutes, we were in front of a huge, atleast 50 floor, glassed building. It looked very stylish and modern. The architectural design of modern day met with the some elements of culture was fascinating. That’s when I understood that the Charirmna liked modernity, but was keen on his roots.

 

As I walked into the building, I crossed the silver plate board that said ‘Choi International Group.’ “Good Luck” I wished myself and walked into the cold, marbled reception. Yan Suk took me to the 49th floor, where the Chairman  and the other board members offices were located.

hi, Aie Me-sshi, can you let the Chairman know that Ms. Day is here to meet him” I heard Yan Suk tell the floor receptionist. We waited for a while.

“Hello Mr. Choi, it’s a pleasure to meet you.” I said looking at the old man who stood with a lot of pride and hardwork on his face.

“Welcome Ms. Day. I hope your travel was ok? Hope you have settled in your new apartment?

“it was good thank you and thanks to Yan Suk, I am now settled in my apartment. “

“sure not a problem. Yan Suk make sure Ms.Day gets everything she wants.”

“yes sir,” Yan Suk said with so much discipline.

Ms. Day, my son, Siwon will be joining us for the meeting as well. I want you to meet him too.”

“Sure that woud be my pleasure.”

We waited for a while. I was having small talk session with the chairman. He seemd very charming and fascinating from the outside, but inside, he is the same man who came from a poor background who worked his way to the top.

“hi dad, sorry I’m late.” I said as I entered my father’s office room. I noticed a lady in a suite sitting and talking to my dad. “Is this is consultant?” I asked myself

“Yes come in Siwon, I want you to meet Ms. Day, our new fashion consultant.”

"Rights! The one who has come to mess up my business?"

"Excuse me?"

"Siwon-ah don't be like that!"

"I'm sorry do we have a problem?" I asked with anger boiling it my head already.

" yes miss Fei" 

" Miss Day" I cut him short for getting my name wrong!

I short her stinging look for cutting me short. I was not likening her attitude. She seemed very arrogant. Ad it I'd I did not like the fact that my father hired some hi -fi consultant without informing me for a business I will be managing and leading.

" we actually do have a problem here. I don't know what my father told you when he hired you, but I will be the one who will be leading the business and I don't think I will need any of your help. I have my strategy in place and I have a team who are working diligently for the launch of the business. So I think you should just go back to the fancy fashion industry of yours."

I was totally aghast on what I was hearing "Wow! I totally did not see that coming. see Mr. Siwon, I am a consultant and I know that I am very good in my work. My profile and my clients speak for themselves. I joined this company with a lot of new ideas thinking to make this brand an international one within the most shortest time period. But I guess I can't really work with arrogant people who can't appreciate the talent of people who have come literally came across the world to work and help them."

" Ms. Sandara don't be like this. I sincerely apologize for my son's behavior. But please, calm yourself down."

" I'm sorry Mr.Choi. But I don't think this will work."

" no. no, Ms.Day! Please, please let's  all be professional here. Siwon apologize to her immediately."

" no father. I will not apologize!"

" I'm sorry Mr. Choi, I don't think....... Oh sorry, I will not be working in this company with such an 'unprofessional' person."

I picked out my bag and walked to the door as I heard Mr. Choi, protest against my exist. But I still had alot of anger in my head. I turned around and came straight to the arrogant guy standing next to Mr.Choi. 

“listen here mister, you know why I took Up this offer? For the very reason that it will be managed by a young person and it would be easy to brainstorm ideas and to work easily. I have worked with many nationalities but you.....you just made things very difficult for yourself. You have no idea how cruel the fashion industry can be. If something goes wrong, the industry can eat you up like a worm. I can go back to, as you said my fancy fashion industry and once the industry knows that I'm back in their circle, they will carry me on their golden chariot. So when I walk out that door, it is your loss." I said with so much fury on my face that could make them feel guilty and with my head held high. 

She slammed the door so hard that even the people in the floor below could hear it. 

" what is this Siwon? What did you just do here?" My father asked me with anger, but I was equally angry on both my father and the arrogant girl.

" I did what I had to do father"

" no Siwon, you just insulted ,me in front of a consultant that I hired. "

" father but you insulted me. By hiring a consultant without my knowledge and today she is in our offices I can't accept that."

" Siwon then I think I will need you to step down from your post. If you can't accept something so small, then I think you are still not ready for the business. Do you know how much loss you create for me just now? "

"Dad you can't do this to me. This is not fair."

"Everything is fair in business Siwon and that girl knows it and you don't."

I got very angry and insulted on hearing such a statement. I could not take this non sense anymore, I walked straight out the door but my dad stopped me for a minute. 

" Siwon there is no point of you being angry!! This is a damage you created and you better fix it if you want Neon Lights to be yours again."

On hearing that I walked out the door swearing that I will never back down!!

The level of my anger could not be determined. I was so angry that I could burn the entire city. I felt like Godzilla wanting to demolish the building. How dare he speaks to me like that? God I just want to kill him!

“Ms. Day!! Ms. Day!!” I heard Yan Suk  running towards me

“What happened? We heard some…..eerrmm……strong conversation.”

“hell yeah, strong. You guys have a lunatic boss!”

“The Chairman?”

“Of course not he chairman! He is such a nice person, his son! His god forsaken son! How do you all work for him?”

“Well technically, we don’t…you will be the first to work for him. He returned for the US recently and it is a rumor that the girl he was engaged to dumped him.”

“Oh she should have! Who would live with an …” I stopped myself saying the word in front of Yan Suk.

“Ok Yan, can you look into the next flight to London? I’m moving.”

“Ms. Day, you just got here.”

“I know, and I’m leaving now. So can you please not make my life any harder and book me the next flight! Good that I did not unpack my stuff.”

“Ok, if that’s what you want.” I heard Yan Suk mumble in his mouth.

We went home without a word and some awkward silence.

I opened the door to my apartment and Yan Suk stood behind me with his head hanging down.

Would you like to have some coffee Yan?”

“You know Ms. Day, I was so excited to start working for person who has soo much experience and intentional exposure like you. I was excited to be different from what my friends are doing. I wanted to work and learn how the foreigners work and not be trapped in this Korean business hierarchy.” I stood surprised, listening to him.

“First come in Yan.” He came as though he was going to break down any moment.

“See, I understand Yan, but you will have to look at the situation from my side as well. If my work space is good, it is only then I can excel in my work and you can learn from it. I dont think it is possible here. The Chairman is very nice. He took the time of from his busy schedule and spoke to me about my family and career. But his son, he is seriously a very difficult person and I can’t work in such a rigid place.”

“yes….” He agreed with regret.

I made him a cup of coffee with the instant coffee powder I picked up in the airport departmental store. We had a small chat and Yan Suk told me about his studies, girlfriend, parents and career ambitions. It was so nice being with him. I felt I made a friend in a single day. But, unfortunately, I will be leaving soon.

Ok Ms. Day, It has become really late for me. I think I will go now.”

Ok no more Ms. Day, call me Sandara or Dara.”

“Oh Dara like 2NE1 Dara?”

“I have no idea what you just said.”

“oh 2NE1 is a popular k-pop group and one of my favorite and one of the member’s name in the group is Sandara and we call her Dara.”

“Well that’s nice to know.”

 

 

“I was deep in my sleep and suddenly I heard my phone ring. “Hi Ms. Dara?”

I recognized that voice. It wasYan Suk on the other side. “hi sorry to disturb you. I have booked you a flight for tomorrow evening.  I hope that is ok with you?”

“Yan, you didn’t have to call at this hour to tell me this man! Now go to sleep. But yes tomorrow evening is fine with me.” I said and without waiting for a response. I slammed the phone and went back to sleep.

So that’s it, I’m going back to London. So much for experiencing a new country.

 

It was 3.30 pm and I was ready with my stuff packed up again. Yan Suk and Sung Woo came to drop me off at the airport. “Even though it was a very short time, it was a pleasure to know you. I think I have made at least one new friend. Thanks Yan Suk. If you need anything…anything at all, let me know. Here is my personal number.” I gave the very sad Yan Suk a hug. I was happy that he was sad on my departure, because I was able to know that someone had feelings in a cold company such as Choi International Group.

I walked into the airport, checked in my luggage and when through the immigration without any troubles. I looked around the busy duty free area and thought to myself “I should bring mama and dada here for a holiday!”

*Passengers flying to London on BA 146, please head to gate no 8 where you flight is ready to depart* I heard the PA system announce the status of my flight. I walked looking for my departure flight gate. I was standing in line with the other passengers bidding my final goodbyes to Seoul.

“Can I have your boarding card and your passport madam?” the young Korean airport service employee asked.

sure.” She looked at it and then at me and went away to make a phone call. it was different. I went thought all my procedure right and what was the problem here?

Is there an issue?” I asked her.

Nothing really.” She assured.

“Then can I go in?”

“No you cannot!”

I heard a familiar male voice say from behind me.

I turned around to see Siwon, The Choi Siwon standing with a couple of security guards beside him.

“Excuse me?” I asked him giving way to the other passengers to go.

Yes you are coming with me.”

“Hold on, since when do you have the rights to boss me around?”

“Just bring her.” He ordered without noticing me asking him a question.

I saw the big security guards come towards me. “Don’t you dare lay hands on me. I can sue you all and your company Siwon!” I said loudly attracting attention.

Please stop doing this.”

“Am I the one fussing around?”

He let out a breath of hot air through his clenching teeth.

“ok…Miss Day, can you please come with us.”

“NO!” I said.

“Ok woman, that’s it!” I said and dragged her stubborn thought the security gate.

She was screaming and yelling all the way, but I was so angry that I dint bother to shut her up.

We came though the special security door where my car was waiting for me. I opened the door and pushed her in.

I got in and without looking at her furious face, I started to drive to my office.

“You are absolutely insane! Insane I tell you! I am going to sue you and your company and your father for publically humiliating me and for character destruction and all of that possible. I will get the best lawyers possible and make sure you rot in jail!” she was yelling at me as I drove through the city streets of Seoul. After awhile she stopped talking, but I could feel the fury in her.

We arrived at my office and I opened the door for her to get out. She refused to come out, so I had to use my strength and drag her all the way to my father’s office. “Stop it Siwon!!” she yelled again.

“You definitely going to get punched in the face by me!” she said which actually made me laugh, because for some reason I found it cute.

I knocked on my father’s office door for which I received a ‘come in’ reply.

My dad was shocked to see the state in which Ms. Day was in.

“Siwon what did you do now?”

“What you asked me to do father.”

“You asked him to drag me out of the airport?”

“of course not Ms. Day, I asked him to bring you back to the office.”

“Correct, but the method was mine.” He said arrogantly.

“I’m sorry Mr. Choi, I was very very angry yesterday that I decided to leave the country for good, but then you son here shows up a minute before I board and drags me thought the airport humiliating me. THIS IS RIDICULOUS!” I screamed.

Fix it Siwon.” I heard the man say.

Sit down Ms. Day.”

“Stop ordering me! I hate that!”

“Ok can you please sit down?” he asked. I was actually surprised the way he said it. I thought he would be equally angry at me, but surprisingly no.

Please Ms. Day” the Chairman requested himself. I sat down without opposing his word.

“ i…..i…..mmm..” Siwon started stammering.

“Just say it Siwon!” the Chairman ordered.

Say what?” I asked

“I’m sorry!” he said

“huh?”

“I said I’m sorry. I’m sorry for talking and treating you in an unprofessional way the other day.”

 “ok, fine for today also. Can you please cancel your flight and work with us?”

“What’s up with you” I asked in the most skeptical way

I could feel Siwon get annoyed and irritated as he had to apologies to me.

See Ms. Day, I want to run this business successfully and I need your help for it. It is true that I am not an expert in the fashion field, but I am a smart person who can run a business efficiently. This may not be the real Siwon talking, but this is the professional Siwon talking and the respectable son of a hardworking man talking. So please, I ask you to put away the wrongful things i did to you and take up this offer.”

I watched him tell me all these weird reasons of apology. And then I asked him, “so you want me to help you?”

“Yes” he sighed

“Then there need to be a few rules.” I said.

“May i?” I asked the Chairman who was watching us both having the conversation and gave me an approving nod.

“Number 1 don’t you dare order me around. I work on my own rights. Number 2, in terms of fashion, what I say will be the last word. I will not be irrational; I will take into consideration all your points and then give you my decision. Number 3……………….” I continued listing around 10 conditions I personally made to Siwon. “ if you agree to all this, then I’m in.”

I know he was regretting every word I was saying, but for some inside reason he was nodding to everything I was saying. 

I took a minute and stared into his eyes, to notice if all he was saying is true. “Wow, he’s got pretty eyes!” I thought to myself. “ok, young lady, get a hold of yourself now.” I shook myself up.

“Fine, since everything is ok with you, I will join you now.”

“That is good to know Ms. Day, Mr. Choi said.”

“You are one of the reason Mr. Choi, I cant let go of an opportunity to work with you.” I said pleasing the old man. Siwon, well, he was not very amused and I knew it. 

 

 

I was resting after a long day which I thought would have ended up differently. *Knock, Knock* I heard my door. When I opened my apartment door, I was surprised by the appearance of Siwon, who stood with daggering eyes which was piercing through my door and his arms folded across his chest.

“uuummm….hello.” I greeted

“uummmm…hello.” She greeted me. I was surprised to see her in her night wear with no makeup. Her bare face was…well, bright. “Listen to yourself Siwon!” my min told me.

“Hi!” I said and walked right into her apartment shocking her. I saw her suitcase wide open with her clothes and her delicates hanging out. I smiled to myself.

“Ok listen Ms. Day, what happened today….don’t ever expect that to happen again. What you saw today ends today.”

I saw her stand by the door leaning on the wall listening to me. “I called you back just because my father told me to and not because I want your help. This is my business and you better remember it. It is me who will manage the business. So whatever you are going to do, just do it and don’t interfere in my way of work in any way. I came to tell you.”

I watched her looking at me without a word even after I finished. A minute later, she stood straight, went back to the door, opened it and gestured to me to leave. I could not take her attitude and I walked out. Before I left I wanted to tell her something very rude, so rude, that she will know where her place is. I stopped before I exited and looked into her face which was only a few centimeters away.

He was about to walk out of my house, be stopped himself and looked at me like he has not seen me before. He started into my eyes and wow, his eyes looked amazing.

She looked….looked different. Her face was beautiful, her eyes mesmerizing. I noticed the long lashes that she was batting as I looked at her, the curvaceous nose that was pink at the tip, the cheeks that were plump and had a small dimple when she smiled and finally her lips..her full pink lips what were moist and so attractive. “SIWON!”  I heard my mind scream at me and I ran out the door straight to my car.

He was staring as thought he was going to eat me up with those piercing eyes of his. I have to say, apart from his eyes, his lips were…cute. However, I found it a bit rude for him to just stand there and look at me. “Is this guy weird?” I asked myself. When I was about to ask him if everything was ok, he ran out the door without looking back. Well, I wanted exactly that.

I sat in my car and looked up at myself in the mirror. I could hear my heart beat…beat very hard. “What is this feeling?” I asked myself.

After I saw him run out the door, I shut it and suddenly a vision of his stare just passed me and made me stop myself for moving. As I was rethinking of his stare, I could hear my heart race….which has never happened before.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sandara Has come back,

Siwon has apologised, yet has kept his ego.

But amonsgt this fight for 'who is bigger', there is some spark!!!

 

To Be

______

Continued

 

(Picture credit: Ohwakeup tumblr)