Unlucky

Before the Leaves Run Dry | 잎은 전에 건조된다
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s an hour passed, it’s your vacant, you and Chanyeol headed first to the cafeteria to meet Luna and Seohyun for lunch. As a group of friends, you always share what you have, orders the uniform dish and drinks, Seohyun’s the only one who sometimes doesn’t order the same because she’s a bit picky.

Students roamed around the cafeteria, lines provided for orders were disarranged, chats and noises made by the kitchen staffs are filling the whole cafeteria.

You and your friends talked about thesis and how it goes. Chanyeol’s taking the same major with you, education. Seohyun’s into business and Luna’s into architecture. Everytime when you’re together, you learn about a lot of different things, from different experiences the others share.


--

After school, you always walk straight to Minwoo’s house, your tutor student. You’re his English tutor. It’s not because he’s weak in English subject at school, it’s just that he needed to learn English language before going to USA, where his parents planned on sending him to school there. Minwoo is in his 15th age, anyways. He’s kind to you, as well as his mother. His dad is working in US. Minwoo’s mother is a close friend of your English professor back in your 3rd year college. That professor is Mr. Kang who is at his mid40s. He recommended you to Minwoo’s mother you agreed with his offer and became Minwoo’s tutor since then. You’ve been tutoring Minwoo for 1 year already. He calls you “noona”. You and Minwoo are very close; you treat him as your younger brother.

You pressed the doorbell and waited for a few seconds. Minwoo’s mom opened it for you and she greeted with you with a smile. She gestured you to the couch to sit and then offered you for some drink. It felt strange because that is not the usual way she welcomes you inside.

You smiled as she offered you a glass of juice. The atmosphere is making you feel a bit uncomfortable. You wandered your eyes after drinking the juice. You were looking for Minwoo. But he wasn’t present at the living room. Usually, he would even be the one to open the gate for you, but today, it’s his mom who did it.

 “Hmmm, Mrs. Gil, I wonder why Minwoo’s not around?” you suddenly asked. He was supposed to be there talking to you, telling you a story about he read on the internet, singing a song he last heard and reciting an English poem he practiced over the night.

She was quiet for a matter of seconds and then finally spoke what’s been inside her she wanted to tell you.

 “Hmmm.. Eunji-ah. I have to thank you a lot for being good to Minwoo and because of you, he has learned a lot.” She smiled and held your hand. That phrase sounded like goodbye. From then, you hunched about something’s wrong might occur.

“Oh, thank you. But i’m just doing my job.” You replied. She paused for a while and cleared . “Minwoo’s dad called yesterday. It’s time for him to get Minwoo and I with him there.” Hearing that made you sad but never showed her what you felt.. You faked a smile. “Really? That’s good for the both of you.. You’ll now have time more as a whole family. I’m very happy for you.”

She let talk to Minwoo before you leave. Minwoo felt really sad when he found out they’re going to US. He’ll miss you. He treated you like his older sister and he’s always having fun whenever you’re around. You talked to him and told him everything’s alright, and that he can still meet you when he goes back someday. And until the last minute you have to see him, he teared, and it affected you too. You’ll miss his clumsiness, his kindness.

While walking home, you went into the vending machine near the payphone and thought about something you can drink, something that will make your sleepiness fade. You inserted coins and pressed the button according to your choice of drink. You chose to have a coffee.

Since it’s getting late, but still not dark, you can already feel the cold air blowing your hair and hitting your face and your whole body that made you shiver although you’re wearing a jacket...

You’re not focusing again. But this time, it’s because you’re drinking your coffee.. It’s funny how things have to be like this. You bumped into a guy and shooooot!! You spilled the coffee you were drinking at your jacket and it spread. Now, you’re so wet with coffee.  You looked up to see who this guy is.. You can hear him chuckling and just standing in front of you.. Actually, he’s having his coffee too, but the unlucky you have to bump into him and his coffee spilled right into you too.. Nothing in him was ruined, only you… he avoided it.. And now his paper cup is on the ground.. His coffee was the one that ruined your shoes. You were still holding your slightly empty paper cup.

As you look up, you saw his face.. And he saw you too.

“It’s you again?????” you shouted..

“Don’t tell me, you’re going to accuse me again? You know, you’re always careless.. You’re always not focusing.. Now my coffee----” he scolded you..

You don’t know what to say. You could still remember the embarrassment he caused you that day. You’re now cautious; people might think it’s another love quarrel.

“I don’t think it’s good to talk to you. You’ve caused me another trouble. You’re a bad luck!” You whispered and rolled your eyes at him. You then stormed out and left him chuckling by his own.

 

--

While Kyungsoo is walking, he heard his phone ringing on his pocket. He took it and saw Suho’s name flashing on the screen. He pressed the answer button and started talking to Suho. He was asking Kyungsoo if he could go drink with them. He has to go. They’ll be giving him punishment if he didn’t go.  Kyungsoo has nothing else to do. He can’t refuse. Before he ends the conversation on the phone, he already reached their gate. He pulled himself into the couch and takes a rest for a while…<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter