Meet You, Hate You

Before the Leaves Run Dry | 잎은 전에 건조된다
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


September’s getting cooler, yet a shade of the sun rays are still visible that its warmth covers up what’s supposed to be cold.  The wind scatters the leaves around, blowing each and one of the tree branches, and then your hair. On your way home, while listening to music with your headphones on, you keep on brushing your feet on the leaves scattered on the ground. You’re out of focus and all you had in mind is that you found those leaves interesting to play with your feet. You passed by the park, groups of students, couples on one side, kids playing near a swing hanging from a tree, the visibility of everything is the reality that lies upon this day; you knew how people had their own lives sharing it with the most important people for them..

You could remember that once, after your first year in college, you met Lee Jin Ki, and soon he became your suitor. You grew up believing boys would be boys, and that they don’t last long. It’s the thought that Ms. Cho unintentionally raised on your mind, she never let you meet and befriend boys since your senior year. You just became independent meeting boys when you moved to Seoul for your college degree. Since you met Jin Ki, your thoughts and image of how men could be, changed. He was different, an absolute opposite of what you see on dramas, and an exact interpretation of a romance’s antagonist. He was fun, he was cute and you loved how he loved chicken before. Every time he asks you out, he always order chickens for the two of you. He was waiting for your answer for the long time. His patience is just so impressive that made you felt butterflies on your stomach every time he asks you out. He is a romantic person too. He gives you roses, and even gave you a large teddy bear. You still have it and you sleep with it every night. You never consider that feeling "love" because you're not sure if it is and you never felt it before.  Your communication with him was good too, not until when his parents decided to move to Japan because of their business and his parents planned on making him study there. He left you, but he never wanted to, it's just that it’s his parents' plan. 

Out of focus and out of your real self, you were busy thinking about life and that Lee Jin Ki, you never thought you would be bumping into someone. You looked up and saw a man. First, you made eye contact with him and managed to judge him. His eyes are big, but they're cute; down to his nose, down to his plump lips, down to what he's wearing, he's wearing a blue cardigan and dark brown pants; then back to his face making you meet his big round eyes again. The two of you were just staring at each other in the middle of the street. 

You noticed his eyes at you turning into two big fireballs and then suddenly his mouth opened that seems like he was saying something, but you're still looking at his eyes confused. You couldn't hear him. Remember? You have your headphones on. He suddenly lifted his arms to put off your headphones and hooked it around your neck and you were still looking at him until he repeated what he just said that you didn't hear.

“What’s wrong with you?” He shouted, frowning, and looked like it destroyed his day.

"What? I should be asking you that!”

He pointed his finger down his shoes, while your eyes followed. You were stepping into his shoes; you knew how that somehow hurts. You’re both strangers, any idea of why you would meet in such a warm and windy afternoon is just so wrong to happen.

“You’re not focusing!” He again shouted; his eye whites

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter