Jung Eun Ji's Childhood

Before the Leaves Run Dry | 잎은 전에 건조된다
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summer just ended a few weeks from now. Leaves formed and dried into brown and orange touched the ground, whilst the wind got colder, air turned into a scent of autumn. It's just a walking distance from school to home, but you're never exempted from heavy projects that they have to give you stress almost throughout the years you've spend in college. You're an independent lady, has a strange and dramatic background where all variety of circumstances have been a tail of your life. You grew up in an orphange until high school. The owner, and the caretaker of the orphanage, whom your life depended to, the woman who strived her best to make homeless and parentless children happy, took care of you.

You're childhood... Well, if you could remember, you knew you were left by someone at the front gate of the orphanage. That's the only thing you knew how your life started, that your real parents weren't capable of having you, instead leaving you covered with blankets inside a basket. You've always wanted to know who left you. If that was your mother or your father? Or anyone else who would take down his/her courage to leave an infant. But you're lucky enough that you were left in an orphanage, it's a good choice afterall. You were raised like you weren't abandoned, and even went to school like an ordinary child. 

Years later, at the age of 6, the orphanage had been receiving an often visit from a couple who can't have a child for some reasons. They loved seeing children running and playing around, that the feeling aroused on them and hunched that since there's not a chance to give birth, they could still adopt one. You were a playful kid back then, you're the one that soon caught their attention and they planned on legally adopting you. And there, the papers started to be printed as evidence of the legal process and soon, only signatures of agreements are only needed.

You were their child for few years not until that accident occured.

It was a crucial part that once scarred your childhood. It was an accident, a car accident. You were just 6, too innocent, too sensitive to encounter trials like this. You were found unconscious on the road. Blood from a 6 hour ago accident dressed your head. You were found in a pink dress, that one special gift before that incident. You just woke up inside a clean white room, with a different scent, a scent of pain, a scent of fresh but painful circumstance that you as a child shouldn't be encountering. But fate has planned to turn your life like this.

 

 

*Flashback: The day of the accident

It was your birthday, your turning 8th, plus a few days before it, was your 2nd year of being their adopted child. The couple Jung Lee Suk and Jung Hye Soo has been taking care of you for two years now. Your foster parents talked about giving you a surprise on that day. They're taking you to your mom's hometown (Jung Hye Soo).

You woke up, rubbing your eyes, stretching within your pyjamas. The room was filled with all pink stuffs; the sunlight hits the bear at the side of the bed. You saw your mom looking for something in your closet; she was wearing her apron at that time, looks like she just came from the kitchen and cooked for breakfast.

"Eomma, what are you looking for?" you asked as you stepped down fom your bed, crumpled sheets followed your one foot. You bare foot sounded lightly on the floorboard. She turned around and smiled at you.

"Oh, my princess is awake. Come here. What do you want to wear?" she asked and straightened a folded dress and lifted it to check if it's a good one to wear. "I want to wear that pink dress" You said and pointed at the pink dress hanging, a dress with a bow at the center. She picked the dress you mentioned and lifted it too, place it on level with your shoulder, so that she could see if it stll fits you. Of course, it would look good on you, any dress would be because for her, you're the most beautiful child ever. She stood up and made you wait for a second.

She came back wearing a box, you saw it, curious and excited to see what's in it. "Eomma, what is that box for?"

"It's for you. Open it." She smiled and caressed your tiny cheeks that lifted when you smil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter