chapter 17*

My Bully, My Lover

Soojin's POV

"Are you sure it's alright if I go?" I asked concerned.

"Honey, I'm fine! Don't worry about me and go have fun!" My mom pushed me towards the door. Her cold has gotten worse and Kwonho seemed to have caught a cold himself, underestimating the cold Seoul weather. My dad has stayed home the past few days to take care of his son and wife. It shocked all of us that he did such a thing. I guess no matter what, family really was his number one priority. I didn't want to leave my mom and brother ill, and it wasn't like my dad really knew how to take care of a sick person.

"Don't worry, Jina is here now, so I'll be well taken care of!" my mom laughed, as if hearing my thoughts.

"Soojin, go and have fun! Don't you trust me?" Jina laughed along.

I did, I just liked being around at times like this. It was selfish of me to go off with Shinji and the boys up in the mountains, snowboarding and having fun while everyone else was stuck at home, sick or taking care of the sick.

"Nuna, take me with you!" Kwonho exclaimed, getting into a huge coughing fit.

"You're stupid," I smiled, handing him a tissue. "And cover your mouth when you cough!"

"It's not fair!" he frowned, taking the tissue, hacking up something from his throat. Ick.

"Just go dear! Your friends are waiting!" my dad encouraged.

I looked at the four people in front of me and gratefully smiled. "I'll be gone for just a few days, call me if anything happens. Or if you need anything," I started, grabbing my bags. "Actually, call me every night. Better yet, I'll just call you. Make sure you--"

"JUST GO ALREADY!" the four people shouted at me, laughing at their simultaneous outburst.

"Geez, I'll miss you all too," I told them before heading outside to meet Shinji.

*****

"I'm so excited!" Shinji squealed as we drove over to Suho's house. "This is the first time I'm going on a trip like this!"

"Uh, Shinji?" I thought suddenly came to mind. "Do you know how to snowboard?"

She shook her head. "Nope."

"Ski?" I asked.

"Nope," she answered unfazed.

"Uh...are you planning on learning when we get there?" She better, or she's going to be bored out of her mind.

She shook her head again. "No way, you know I'm the most unathletic person ever! I'll just watch." she said, not having a problem with her plan.

"You're going ot be bored out of your mind!" I exclaimed. Sure, she could watch, but was she really willing to watch all of us riding around for hours? "At least learn how to ski, it's easy!"

She thought about it for a second. "I don't know..."

"I'll teach you," I offered. "Better yet, we can get one of the boys to teach you."

Her eyes brightened immediately. "You think they would?"

"Yeah, why wouldn't they?" Shinji has been really good with being friends with the boys. She improved a lot since her fangirl days and I couldn't be more proud.

Shinji shrugged. "I don't know. Like I said, I'm not the most athletic girl around. They would have to be really patient with me."

"I'm sure they can rotate and take turns," I laughed.

We continued to chat for a few minutes until we arrived at Suho's house. It was the first time I've ever seen it and it looked just as I expected: big and wealthy. It was almost as big as Chanyeol's house. Dang, what do these boys' parents do for a living?!

"Jesus Christ." I mumbled, helping Shinji's driver unpack the trunk of the car. Shinji laughed, walking over to help as well.

"Wow, you're actually on time," I heard a familiar voice say from behind. I looked up to see Chanyeol approaching us with Baekhyun, Suho and D.O following pursuit.

"Do you girls need help?" Suho asked, walking over to the trunk of the car.

"Thanks oppa!" Shinji smiled, handing over her suitcase.

"Ooph!" Suho coughed, shocked at the weight of the bag. "Did you bring your entire closet?"

Shinji blushed. "I've never been to one of these before, so I didn't know what I needed. I kind of overpacked." she admitted.

"Kind of?" Baek took a look in the trunk to see more bags. "We're only gone for a few days, but I think you packed enough for a month!"

Chanyeol took the bag I was holding and swung it over his shoulder easily. "We're going to eat really quick and then head out. Is this everything?"

I nodded, grabbing my backpack from the backseat. "I'm starving."

Chanyeol scoffed, walking alongside me inside the house. "When are you not?"

"Where's Kai and Sehun?" I asked, ignoring his wisecrack.

"They're meeting us there." D.O answered, grabbing another one of Shinji's suitcases from the trunk. "They got some joint family stuff to do, so they're coming up later tonight."

"Joint family stuff?" I asked.

"They're parents are business partners, so they're always together." Suho told me.

"Oh, really? Well, that explains a lot," I nodded in understandment. No wonder they were so close.

Baekhyun came over and swung an arm around my shoulder like he usually did. "Are you excited Soojin? I know I am!" he gave me his signature wide smile.

I laughed like always. "Absolutely! I haven't gone snowboarding in almost a year!"

"Yeah, tell me about it. This is a much needed vacation for all of us," D.O said as he opened the trunk to his car as he, Suho, Baekhyun and Chanyeol put our belongings inside. It looked like they already had their own belongings packed and ready to go.

"Shinji needs to learn," I told them pointing in her direction, hoping that one of them would offer to teach her.

"What?" Baekhyun said surprised. "Ski or snowboard?"

"Both...either, or maybe even none." Shinji answered shyly.

"Don't worry, we can teach you!" Baekhyun offered.

"Um...maybe not Baekhyun," Chanyeol joked, earning a stare from Baekhyun.

"Hey! I'm a good teacher!" he defended himself.

"Don't worry Shinji," D.O started. "You have a lot of other better choices to teach you this vacation." he laughed.

Suho closed the trunk of the car and directed us inside. "Let's eat and get on the road!"

"Whoo!" Baekhyun shouted in excitement. "Let the vacation begin!"

*****

"So what is the place called that we're going to?" I asked from the backseat of the car. The six of us split into two cars. I was in a car with Shinji and Baekhyun with Chanyeol driving while Suho rode with D.O.

"The place we're going to is called Yongpyeong Resort," Baekhyun answered. "It's Suho's."

I let out a sigh. "Of course it is."

Baekhyun laughed. "Why do you sound so surprised?"

"I forgot you're all swimming in money," I joked, looking out the window. Everything was slowly transitioning into white the higher we drove up the mountains. I usually don't really like winter, but the first time seeing snow was always nice. It was prety and pure, until it gets cold and sloshy. But at this moment, I was admiring the view. It was like being reuinted with an old friend.

It was almost a 5 hour drive. We chatted for the first hour or so, until Shinji and Baekhyun fell asleep. We left Suho's house around 6am, so I wasn't surprised that we had some people passing out.

"Are you okay driving?" I asked Chanyeol. It was one thing to just travel so early in the morning and another having to drive for so long early in the morning. I've done it before in the States when my friends and I took a road trip, it's no fun.

"Yeah, I'm fine." he answered. It was kind of weird. This was probably the longest time we've ever gone without fighting or getting frustrated with each other. I kind of missed the bickering, but this was nice too. "Stupid Baek, he said he would stay up and keep me company." He looked over at a lightly snoring Baekhyun and shook his head in disapproval.

"Well gee," I said sarcastically. "Sorry I'm not enough."

We made eye contact in the rearview mirrow. "You know what I mean." he replied. "You can sleep too if you want."

I shook my head. "Nah, we're almost there right? I might as well just stay up."

"Good, I was going to make you stay up anyways," he smirked.

"Then why would you tell me to sleep!" Oh well, at least we broke the record for longest time with no arguing.

"I wanted to see if you would actually do it." Chanyeol smiled, making a turn. "And then guilt you into staying up if you were going to."

I rolled my eyes and folded my arms. "You're fricken impossible."

*****

As soon as we arrived at the resort, we went straight to our home for the next five days. I would barely call it a cabin, it was more like a huge wooden house. And the inside was even more spacious. Everything was made out of high quality wood, the fireplace was already running and it was absolutely warm and comfy inside. It didn't take long for me to feel right at home.

The boys helped Shinji and me (well, mostly Shinji) put our things in our rooms before they brought thier own things inside. We decided to go straight to the slopes before eating lunch. The boys and I changed into warmer clothes and the six of us headed out to the surprisingly emptyish resort.

"It's kind of pricey to be here around this time, so it's rarely ever crowded." Suho answered my thoughts.

I nodded and continued to look at the view from the front porch of our cabin mansion. "You're lucky. You get to come here whenever you want!"

Suho laughed. "I wouldn't say I ever want to come here that often anyways, but yeah. I guess it is nice to have a place like this to go to."

"Will you guys shut up? Let's board!" Baekhyun came in between us, wrapping an arm around both of our shoulders.

I looked behind my shoulder, looking for Shinji, but found Chanyeol instead. He looked annoyed and preoccupied. Why was he being like that so suddenly?

"You guys go ahread first, I forgot something inside," I told them, walking towards Chanyeol.

"Yo grumpy pants," I called him. "We're on vacation!"

"I'm not being grumpy!" Chanyeol said, fixing his gloves.

"Uh huh," I agreed sarcastically. "Come on, we're only here for five days. Let's make the most of it alright?"

Chanyeol didn't respond, looking down on the ground.

"And while we're at it, let's try to not kill each other while we're here either okay?" I asked and held out a hand. "I am willing to call it a truce for the next five days if you are."

"Why the sudden peace treaty?" Chanyeol asked amused, raising an eyebrow.

I laughed, still holding my hand out. "Believe it or not, I need this vacation. I think it's safe to say that I'm the most happy the semester is over. So let's just relax and have some fun okay?"

Chanyeol stared at my hand before he gave it a weird sideways high-five. "No promises." He grinned.

*****

"Finally!" Suho exclaimed. "We were starting to get worried!"

"Sorry dudes," Sehun said, dropping his things on the floor as soon as he walked in. "There was mad traffic on the way up here."

"What's for dinner????" Kai said excitedly, looking over D.O's shoulder.

The six of us were having so much fun out in the snow, we lost track of time and skipped lunch. Suho and Baekhyun were both trying to teach Shinji how to ski, which was a lot more difficult than the rest of us thought. I knew Shinji wasn't athletic, but I didn't know she was that bad.

Chanyeol went off on his own from time to time. Sometimes I found him snowboarding with D.O. I spent the majority of the day snowboading by myself, just enjoying the cool breeze and white earth. I didn't mind, it was relaxing and like I told Chanyeol before, my plan was to make the most of this vacation.

Around 6pm, the six of us called it for the day and headed back to our cabin, getting ready to relax for the night. D.O offered to cook dinner and Baekhyun helped after losing a game of rock-paper-scissors. I tried to offer to help too, but Chanyeol and Suho were very persistent in letting the two boys take care of dinner. So instead, while D.O and Baekhyun were preparing dinner, Chanyeol and Suho went out food shopping while Shinji and I cleaned the house from lack of residence as well as unpack our belongings.

There were six rooms, so that meant two of the boys had to share rooms. I guess usually they would each get their own room, but because Shinji and I came along this year, they had to share. I felt a little bad, but Suho assured me that it was alright.

"Kai and Sehun can just share," Suho laughed.

"That's what they get for coming late!" Baekhyun agreed.

Dinner was ready around 7pm and was full of laughter and the atmosphere was great. I took a moment to look around the table and get a good look at each of my new friends...

Although D.O didn't talk much, I was really appreciative of him. When he did talk, it was always with meaning. He never said anything in spite of saying it, only when he felt like he really needed to. I was really happy that our relationship developed enough for him to talk to me much more freely unlike when we first met. This was how I knew he accepted me into his life and that we were real friends. Not to mentin he was a great cook!

Suho was like the big brother I never had. He was like that with his friends too, but I think it's safe to say that him and I had a real brother-sisterly relationship going on. I was probably the closest with Suho. I trusted him and he always wanted what was best for me, not to mention he was kind of protective too.

Baekhyun always made me laugh and I was really grateful for that. When I was told how angry he got and how he reacted in the beginning the year when that thing happend with Minji, I was beyond touched. To think that the jokester Byun Baekhyun got furious because of what happened to me, it was truly moving. Even though he was a big flirt, I had to admit that it was what gave him charm. His dorkiness and confidence was probably why girls were so drawn to him. I would be lying if I said that wasn't why I was drawn to him too.

Even though Kai, Sehun and I were the same age, I can't help but to feel like their mom or noona sometimes. When they were together, it was always chaos and they would always pull pranks on me and stuff. Kai was kind of cold in the beginning, but now I can see that he was a really bright, happy guy who loved to laugh and make jokes. And although Sehun was the youngest of them all, he was really mature for his age, despite some of the dumb things he says/does. The hidden card of the group and the peacemaker.

Park Shinji, my savior. If it wasn't for her, I probably wouldn't be here. I probably would be stuck at home, still miserable with the awful move that I was forced to make. I was the most grateful to Shinji. She took me in with open arms as the new girl. We were different in many aspects, yes, but it worked. We complimented each other and balanced each other out. It still surprises me that I'm friends with someone like Shinji, who might as well be the complete opposite of me. But hey, opposites attract right?

And then of course, there was Chanyeol. I thought back to the first few days of school after we met. I have never hated someone so much before. I never got so furious just by being around someone either. I thought back to our arguments and disputes, remembering how much he bullied me and how much I let it get to me. I never let words get to me, but for some reason, his words did. And now, I think back to the more recent memories. Yeah sure, we still bicker and try not to kill each other, but it was different. We kind of cared about each other and valued the other as someone important in each other's lives. I was never going to admit that out loud and I'm pretty sure that he wasn't going to either. But I think we both knew and if we both knew where the other stood, it was enough for me.

My stare lingered a little longer on Chanyeol. The longer I stared, the faster my heart beated. I never was able to make sense the unexplainable reactions my body would have sometimes around Chanyeol. Why did my body act like this? I would get hot, my cheeks would flush, my chest would feel twinges, dullness and heaviness.

My thoughts went back to Shinji's words: destiny. Me and Chanyeol? There was no way we were more than friends...right? The possibility of me having feelings for Chanyeol suddenly entered my mind for the first time. Me? Liking Chanyeol?

"Yah, Soojin!" Shinji shouted, snapping me out of my thoughts. "What are you thinking so hard about?"

"Huh, what?" I asked, dazed. "Nothing."

"You shouldn't be thinking so hard, we're out of school!" Kai joked.

"Did you hear the question?" Sehun asked, drinking from his glass of milk.

"Sorry, what was the question?" I felt a little bad for zoning out of the conversation.

"What movie do you want to watch?" Sehun repeated the question.

"We're deciding between 'Secretly, Greatly' and 'Snowpiercer'," Suho told me.

I shrugged. Even though I've been in Korea for half a year, I still wasn't updated on the Korean entertainment industry. "I don't know either of those movies."

"Oh yeah, figures..I forgot you're not from here," Baekhyun laughed. "I vote for 'Snowpiercer!"

The seven people erupted in debate once more as I just watched. The thought I had of Chanyeol minutes ago disappeared and was forgotten. I smiled as my heart warmed at the sight of my friends that I had hoped would last a lifetime.

*****

Chanyeol's POV

Shinji and Soojin washed the dishes, Kai and Sehun went up to their rooms to settle in, and D.O, Baekhyun, Suho and I took out the garbage and set up the movie. Around 9pm, the eight of us were finally settled in the large living area to watch 'Secretly, Greatly'.

To be honest, I was actually really tired after today. I got the least sleep out of everyone and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to stay up for the entirety of the movie. I noticed that Soojin was staring at me during dinner and I suddenly got self-conscious with every action I made. Why was she staring at me? Did I have food on my face?

"Are you sure you don't like Soojin?" D.O had asked me earlier when we were snowboarding together.

I groaned. "Why do you do this to me?"

D.O laughed. "I'm just saying. If you did, Soojin is a good choice. She's smart, pretty, good personality and athletic. She can play the piano and can take care of herself. She's kind of perfect if you ask me."

"Then why don't you like her?" I challenged, starting to get annoyed with how D.O was talking about her.

He chuckled and nudged my arm. "No way, she's like a sister. And besides, she's too tall for me."

I couldn't help but to laugh at his own diss. "Why do guys keep thinking I like Soojin? It's annoying."

D.O gave me a knowing look. "Maybe cause we see something that you don't yet."

His last words hung in the back of my mind for the rest of the day. Maybe cause we see something that you don't. What was it that I wasn't seeing? I'm pretty sure Soojin makes it pretty clear that we're just friends, if that's what you can even call us.

I admit, the relationship I had with Soojin was odd and confusing. I couldn't really put a label on it. We were friends yes, but at the same time, I didn't like her and we almost always fought. We say things that friends don't say say to each other. If a stranger heard us fighting, they would have probably thought we were mortal enemies. But when she wasn't around, I always found myself missing her a little. And when she was, I always thought the day was just a little better.

I suddenly thought back to the night when we went to get food last week. Why had she gotten so upset about Minji? She didn't...like me did she? No way, that's impossible. Stop making things up Chanyeol. But then again...why had I gotten so upset?

I could have just told her that nothing was going on like I had told Suho and Baek, but I went much further than that. I tried to explain and I still couldn't find the right words to put together. I tried to not hurt her feelings. Why? Why did it matter?

Do I....? No, of course I don't. Lee Soojin? No way.

"We're watching 'Snowpiercer' tomorrow!" Baek protested, dropping down into the seat next to me.

"Shut up, it's starting!" Kai told Baek.

Kai and Sehun were watching the movie from the floor, D.O and Suho were sitting on the single couches on either side of the room while Baekhyun, Shinji, Soojin and I sat on the large couch in the middle. Somehow Soojin ended up sitting next to me. It looked like that she was going to go for the other end of the couch, which I found myself being a little disappointed about, but Shinji quickly took the spot before Soojin was able to sit down. I smiled to myself as Soojin took the seat in between Shinji and me.

"What? I like the end." I overheard Shinji say.

The opening credits began and Sehun turned the lights off. All of my senses were suddenly aware of the proximity between me and Soojin. The couch wasn't large enough to fit the four of us comfortably, so our shoulders were touching. I tried to stay as still as possible, even tried holding my breath. What are you doing Chanyeol? Just watch the stupid movie.

Everyone was shuffling around to get comfortable, making comments about the movie and whatnot. I stayed quiet, self-conscious about every action I made for the next few minutes. I noticed that Soojin didn't move or say much either.

Soon, everyone went silent watching the movie. Even I forgot Soojin was sitting next to me. An hour into the movie, Suho got up from his chair.

"Hey, Shinji fell asleep." he said, leaning over to lightly shake her awake. "Shinji-ah, go upstairs and sleep. You'll hurt your neck that way."

Shinji slowly woke up and dazed. "Huh? Yeah, I think I will go upstairs. Sorry guys." she said, getting up from the couch.

"Me too," Baek yawned. "I didn't even want to watch this movie anyways. Good night everyone."

Suho and D.O also got up to call it a night. Soon it was just me and Soojin on the couch and Kai and Sehun on the floor. I didn't move from my spot on the couch and neither did Soojin. Even though there was much more room on the couch to spread out, we stayed put sitting right next to each other.

A few minutes later, I heard Sehun and Kai whispering and laughing. I swear, those boys acted like teenage girls during a slumber party.

"We're going to go to bed too," Sehun got up and stretched.

"Today was a long day for us too," Kai said, folding the blanket him and Sehun covered themselves with.

"What are you talking about, you guys didn't do anything today!" Soojin pointed out.

Sehun patted her head. "You don't know what we did before we got here!"

Kai laughed and waved to us. "Good night!" Soon, they both disappeared upstairs.

It was just me and Soojin now and we were both suddenly aware at the awkward situation.

"Um, do you want to finish the movie?" she asked.

To be honest, I was really tired too and it wasn't like I was really paying attention to the movie myself. "Up to you," I responded, still not moving from the couch.

"I'm going to finish it, there's only like an hour left." she told me, looking back at the screen.

If she was going to stay up to watch the movie, then I guess I could too. I nodded, "Alright, me too then."

For the next hour, we didn't move as we watched the movie. Well I don't know about Soojin, but I still didn't know what was going on. All I felt were our shoulders touching and her presence right next to me. We were just two friends watching a movie...sitting right next to each other...in a vacation home...in the mountains...late at night...in the dark. Park Chanyeol! Where is your mind going with this?!

I didn't dare turn to look her direction and kept my eyes glued to the tv screen, still not processing what I was seeing. Suddenly, something landed on my shoulder. I looked over to see that Soojin had fallen asleep and the weight of her head landed on me.

I stopped breathing and my heart starting to race. I looked at her, trying not to move too much.

She was beautiful.

The light illumintating from the tv screen made her skin glow and she looked peaceful. My eyes traced the features of her face that I liked the most: her eyelashes, the bridge of her nose, her cheeks...her lips...

I should have woken her up. I should have pushed her away. I should have told her to go upstairs and sleep.

But I didn't.

 


A/N:

YESS, the story is finally coming along!!
i would REALLY love some feedback on this chapter!
i probably changed the contents of this chapter a million times.
i tried to get a lot across in this chapter, so i hope it wasn't too much at once.
soojin's reflection and relationship development with the other characters
and chansoo are slowly starting to realize their feelings! whoo!
and it only took 17 chapters .__."

i hope you like it!!! i love you my lovely readers <3
i'm having a lot of fun writing this :)

 

you all know i'm a big LOL

tumblr_mzr12sOfUI1r3xllho1_500.giftumblr_mzr6hltr641qgnxifo2_500.gif

much love, thatxmusic