chapter 1*

My Bully, My Lover

just a quick note, everything in italics are Soojin's thoughts! thanks for reading :) <3

 


"I don't want to go!" I whined. She had to be joking.

 

"Soojin-ah," my mom tried to calm her only daughter, but she knew there was no use. "You have to understand..."

 

"Understand?" I shouted back at her. "You want me to understand? You're sending me away! Please tell me mother, how am I supposed to understand that!!" My tears were collecting at the rims of my eyes but I refused to let them fall.

 

"That's not what I'm doing and you know that!" my mom shouted back, getting frustrated. "It only makes sense for you to go. Besides, its a great opportunity for you. Haven't you always wanted to stay in Seoul?"

 

"Visit, mom! Visit!" I said. "I've always wanted to visit, not move! Not live there!"

 

There was no way she was being serious. My parents had lived apart for over 5 years now. My father started a huge business firm in Korea and in the end, chose his job over his family. He lived in Korea, working his precious job, while he left me, my brother and mom alone in the States, sending us checks every now and then.

 

My mom tells me that they still love each other very much and that she wouldn't dare get in the way of her loving husband's dream. I always scoffed at that. He was a father, wasn't his family supposed to be his dream? If he loved my mom like he said he did, wouldn't he be fighting to find a way to be with her? To keep this family together?

 

"Why are you sending me alone? What about KwonHo?" I asked, refusing to look at her. It wasn't fair that she was sending just me and not my younger brother.

 

"He'll be going once he graduates junior high," she told me quietly. I quickly understood that he knew nothing about this yet.

 

"Why are you doing this?" I whispered, the tears coming deathly close to falling. "Did you really expect me to just go along with this, pick up my bags and go?"

 

My mom stifled a laugh and took a few steps towards me. "Oh my dear, of course I knew you'd put up a fight." she pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear and then placed her hands on my shoulders. "But that's why I know you'll be just fine. You're a strong girl Soojin - maybe a little too strong for your own good."

 

I looked up at her with a sad face, pleading with my eyes for her to change her mind. But it was no use. I had no choice. I was going to move to Korea to live with my dad. And I hated it.

 

 

*****

 

Just as expected, my father was not at the aiport to pick me up. Instead, I found an older woman holding up a sign with my name on it. I walked towards her with my things, cursing the days to come.

 

"Hello Soojin!" she smiled at me, grabbing my things. "My name is Jina, I'm the head caretaker of your father's home. How was the flight?"

 

She looked so happy and genuine. Even if I was in the most sour mood possible ever since my mom and brother left me at the airport back home, I couldn't let out my bitterness towards her. She was like the kind of woman that you didn't dare want to upset.

 

I managed to give her a smile. "It was fine, thank you."

 

We walked outside where a car was waiting for us. She opened the back door for me to get in while she took the passenger seat.

 

"I apologize on behalf of your father. He really wanted to come see you but he had an important meeting to attend today." She told me, looking at the rearview mirror to catch my face. "He will be coming home early tonight to see you!"

 

Yeah? We'll see about that.

 

*****

 

We finally drove up a long driveway and I got out of the car, facing a large home. It looked better than the pictures that my dad sent us - bigger. Wow, did he really need to live here all by himself?

 

I mean, it's not like we ever visited, nor did he ever invite us to. Why did he need such a big house if it was only going to be for himself?

 

"Your father houses many international guests for work, so there are plenty of free rooms for you to choose from." Jina answered. I turned to look at her shocked at her answer to my internal question.

 

"But I think I know what room you'd like best." She gave me a warm smile as she directed the driver to bring my things into the house. "Shall we go inside? You must be hungry."

 

Jina gave me a tour of the house and boy, it was larger than it looked. She told me to go ahead and choose my room while she left to make me a snack. I walked up the large staircase and walked down the hall, not particularly looking into any of the many doors that I passed by. Wihout any reason in particular, I reached the end of the hallway and decided to check out the last room.

 

I opened the double doors and lost my breath as the hot summer winds brushed past my face. The large room had a big bed tucked to the right, with a white fluffy comforter. On the left was a small living area with a TV and couch. Right ahead of me was a large glass door, opening up to a veranda, overlooking the backyard of my father's property. I opened the door and stepped oustide. Right below me was the view of the pool and the fully bloomed garden right behind it.

 

It was truly beautiful. For a second, I had forgotten where I was and why I was there. A soft knock was heard behind me and I turned around to see that it was Jina holding a tray of fruits and small sandwiches.

 

"I knew that you would pick this room." she smiled, setting the tray on the living area table. "I will have your things brought up to your new room."

 

She gave me a bow and turned to leave.

 

"Thank you!" I shouted back at her. She stopped in her tracks, turned to give me a smile with a nod and continued her way out.

 

At least my room was awesome. Maybe it won't be so bad afterall.

 

*****

 

I spent the rest of the day organizing my things and settling into my new room. I had plenty of space left in my walk-in closet, which didn't come as a surprise to me since I never cared too much about clothes. It didn't matter anyway, I was going to end up wearing a uniform for school. Ugh, oh yeah. I have to wear a uniform.

 

After I finished organizing my closet, I set up my desk. My laptop, printer, school supplies etc. I tried to make it look as much like my desk at home, but it was difficult considering ths desk was much bigger and better in quality.

 

I videochatted shortly with my mom and brother back home. I've only been away for less than a day and already my heart ached. I had to cut the call short, I couldn't let my mom see how sad I was. It was okay if I was sad, but I didn't want to burden her a thousand miles away either.

 

We said our goodbyes and before I knew it, it was almost 10pm. Still no sign of my father. I knew it.

 

It was just Jina and me for dinner that night. I was a little relieved that my father didn't show that evening. Even though he was my dad, I hadn't seen or really spoken to him in years. What was I supposed to say when I saw him? How was I supposed to act? To be totally honest, I wasn't ready to see him and I hadn't realized that until today.

 

Instead, Jina and I bonded over dinner and gotten to know each other better. I found out that she was once a music teacher when she was younger. She told me stories of her past and her eyes twinkled reminiscing her glory days.

 

"Why did you stop? How did you end up here?" I asked her. She sounded amazing, definitely someone that should not be working for my father.

 

She laughed a sad laugh. "Life never happens as we plan now does it? Isn't that why you're here?"

 

I stabbed my food. "Yeah, I guess not."

 

She laughed again, leaning over to put a hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry, I know you are upset with your parents - especially your father - but I think you'll come to like it here. Just let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you and I'll try my best, ok? Maybe we can play the piano together sometime."

 

I nodded, grateful for her kindness. I had loved to play the piano just as much as I liked to sing. I didn't think I was particularly great, but I thought I was pretty decent. I still had a lot to learn and I was excited to be able to spend time with someone that I can learn a lot from.

 

Tomorrow, I was supposed to head to my new high school and meet with the dean to finalize the details for my attendance. I dreaded it, but if I didn't start right away then I would have to wait until the next semester to start.

 

Before I went to bed, I scrolled through the school's website to prepare myself on what to expect tomorrow morning. I knew it was a prestigious school, and they certainly weren't afraid to show it. The website alone was sleek and professionally done. Pictures of the campus flew across my screen and I had to admit, it was beautiful.

 

One picture caught my eye. It was a picture of a group of kids. They were all laughing and having a good time. Hopefully I'll be able to make at least one good friend here. I didn't need a lot, just one was good enough for me.

 

After a few more minutes of scrolling through, I shut my laptop off and went to bed.

 

I prayed that tomorrow would go well.

 

*****

 

Jina woke me up the next day. She had already prepared breakfast for me and had a driver ready to take me to school.

 

I knew that this was a prestigious school with an expensive tuition and I knew that my father had more money than he knew what to do with, but I didn't want to showcase that. I wasn't that kind of girl.

 

I dressed myself in my usual casual and comfotable attire, settling on a pair of dark wash jeans and a loose white t-shirt, thanked Jina for the breakfast and left to learn the ways of public transportation in the city of Seoul. It couldn't be that hard right?

 

*****

 

Wrong.

 

I was so so wrong.

 

It took me half an hour to find the bus station, only to find that not only had I missed the bus I needed to take, but jumped on the wrong bus. I opted for a taxi due to the time constaint and even then, my legs ended up walking around in circles, unsure of where the entrance of this stupid closed fenced school was located.

 

I hadn't even set foot on school property and already I hated it.

 

After a couple of hours of confusion and some luck, I finally found the opening gates to my new high school. I had made it just in time for when all the students were in their classes. I let out a sigh of relief, I didn't want to interact with classmates just yet. And don't they like, judge people? At least that's what I see in the kdramas my mom always watches. And seeing as how I was in normal clothes and not a school uniform would have definitely attracted some unwanted attention.

 

I tried to moved quickly before any of the classes let out, only to get lost AGAIN. Where the hell is the faculty's office?!

 

I was started to get extremely frustrated and annoyed with myself for getting so annoyed. I'm usually a very patient person, but today was just ridiculous!

 

Finally, I found the large wooden door of the faculty office and stepped inside.

 

It looked just like it did in all the kdramas. I choked a small laugh to myself, amused at the similarity. I wonder if there's a group of hot boys around here too with a bunch of fangirl students. I joked, shaking my head in doubt.

 

"Ah, you must be Lee Soojin!" exclaimed an older man, heading towards me. "Welcome to Chunsa High School!"

 

I greeted him and gave him a deep bow. "Thank you."

 

He led me to a table at the far end of the office and sat down. "My name is Choi Jinsuk. I am the dean of the school."

 

And with that, he proceeded to tell me everything I needed to know about my coming days here at the school. He told me that they like to keep things traditional by keeping boys and girls separate in classes, so there will be no co-ed classes except during physical eduation - but even then the activities were to be split by gender. Even the recess time was made so that the girls and boys were separate. Everything except lunch was made in that manner. Well, this should be interesting.

 

I received my schedule, a student handbook and a uniform slip - which I was supposed to get measured and pick up at another location. I greeted the many other teachers in the office and spoke to them about what a average day in school was like.

 

"I'm sure we do things differently than you are used to in the States." the dean told me. "Of course, because your English is more than proficient, we will allow you to use that time for free study at our school library - time that I expect you to use wisely."

 

I looked at my schedule, yep. There it was - English class. Sweet. One less class to worry about.

 

I was starting to make my way out of the office as the dean was giving me some last minute information about my first day tomorrow when a tall, handsome boy walked in. We made eye contact and I didn't know what to do. Should I say hello? Should I smile at him?

 

He furrowed his eyebrows, looked at me like I had four heads, then proceeded to walk right past me towards a teacher.

 

Um, well alright then.

 

"Well, I think I've covered everything!" the dean patted my back. "Do you have any questions Soojin?"

 

Yeah, what's that kids problem?

 

I shook my head. "No sir, I will see you tomorrow!" I gave him a bow and left the office.

 

As I walked off the school property with my newly acquired things, I couldn't help but to keep thinking about my encounter with that guy. Why did he look at me like that? It was so full of...disapproval? I couldn't put my finger on it.

 

Well, good thing there's a small chance that I'll see him around this huge campus.

 

 


A/N:

herroooo~
i hope you guys like the first chapter of my new fanfic! i know it's a long introduction but i wanted to make sure that i gave the fanfic setup in one big chapter :)
it means a lot that you're reading my work!
please subcribe to keep yourself updated!
i will also appreciate any and all comments! thank youuuuu

ps. i apologize for the lack of visual candy on here as well. i submitted a request and hopefully will get one soon for you. until then...

 Image and video hosting by TinyPic