Chapter 16

The Pink Tie
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     My hands are tightly wrapped around each other in my lap. I’m wringing them, looking out the window watching the scenery drive by me. I’m stiff and I feel a slight chill shoot through my body but I shake it off.
     “Who was he?” Seunghyun asks me.
     “Nobody,”
     “Amelia, you can tell me. We’re close enough that you should feel comfortable telling me thing, right?”
     A moment passes and I realize he’s right. If I can’t tell him then what is our relationship?     
     “I used to see him. Three years ago. It was nothing though,”
     “It doesn’t seem like it was nothing,” Seunghyun says. He’s not accusing me, but simply trying to let me know that he understands that we had some sort of past.
     “No, really. It was nothing. That’s why it bothers me. I thought it was something, but he up and left me without even a word. I felt like it was a relationship but nothing was official. By the time I felt comfortable asking him what we were, I never heard from him again,” I say. My voice sounds sad, but really, I’m just angry. All the anger is coming back on me full force and it’s quite a shame because it’s Christmas Eve.
     “Well, if it means anything to you-I’m glad he stopped talking to you,”
     Before I have a chance to realize what he meant by that, my head turns quickly in his direction. He continues to speak before I have a chance too and I thank God he does before my over emotional brain has a chance to say anything. “Because if he didn’t, who knows if I would be here with you right now,” he says. My heart melts and the majority of my negative feelings disappear with the cliche of a sentence he just laid down on me. It may have been cliche but when he said it, it made everything better.
     “I lo-“ No. Woah. Hold on. Wait a minute. Put a little sock in it! Amelia you can’t just say stuff like that. This is not the time. I refuse to say something like that until he says it to me. Jeeze! I can’t believe a few words almost made me spill words from my mouth. I don’t even know if it’s true. I mean-I said it enough to my friends before I met him but don’t we all about our idols? We are in a real relationship now…I don’t know if I actually mean those words. But...
     “What?” he asks as I hum on what I just said trying to think of something else to say. I’m freaking out a bit. Amelia, you are an absolute idiot.
     “Love…”
     He waits.
     “The way you…make me feel,” What? I lift my finger to my mouth and bite it. I turn my gaze out the window and feel like I’m going to die. 
     “Thats…really good. I’m glad I could help,” he says, his voice quiet. I push my free hand over to him offering it to him and he takes it willingly. 
     “Thank you so much, I mean it,” I say. 
.               .               
     “Who the hell is this kid?” My aunt shouts as Seunghyun and I walk through her door and go to remove our shoes. She’s not angry, that’s the just the way she talks. “No, no, no. Don’t bother, leave them on, my floors a mess,” she says laughing at me and desperately trying to find the small plate she placed on the stove to place her ladle on. She’s in the middle of cooking something delicious I’m sure. "You brought one home Amelia, you brought one of them home, my God,” she says, placing the ladle down on the plate now. She wipes her hands on a dish rag and runs over to us and gives me a hug. “You didn’t tell me you had a guest!” she says excitedly. 
     When she backs away and moves to Seunghyun she opens her arms offering a hug. She pauses and stares at him with wide eyes. “Amelia, he looks a little feminine,” she says cautious. “Is he one of those lady singers you like?” she asks and then gives us a big laugh and wraps her arms around Seunghyun. “I’m just kiddin’, you’re a good looking’ boy!"
     She then lets go of him, turns around and beckons us to come further into the kitchen. “Come boy, let’s get you some snacks. We need to get some meat on them bones, you’re too skinny.” My aunt is one of the best cooks I know. All of her food is delicious but very fattening. Her food is definitely food for the soul, but not so much the heart.
     Seunghyun looks down at me with a smile and hesitantly makes his way into the kitchen, holding my hand.
     “Really, Amelia. We all teased saying you were gonna bring home a son-in-law but we didn’t actually mean it,” she says. “This is too funny,” she looks up at us, resting an arm on a kitchen chair after setting a plate full of cookies and pigs in a blanket and other goodies. “He really does look familiar though. You sure he isn’t one of those lady-faced singer boys?” she asks me. 
     The kitchen door now opens my mom bursts through with a big bowl of mashed potatoes. “Did you meet ‘em Mel? I told you he ain’t no lady face! Did you see his handsome face? Pfft!”  she says, setting the bowl down on one of the kitchen counters. “Yeah! He’s here! I win this one Mel,"
     “Can you both please speak English!?” I shout. I quiet my voice. “Mel, this is Seunghyun,”
     “Seunghyun?!” My sixteen year old cousin shouts from the living room and runs into the kitchen. “Seunghyun!? That’s one of the names from your fan-fi-“ I run to her before she has a chance to speak any further. I wrap my arms around her face and turn her abruptly to face Seunghyun. I clear my throat so she understands. We bond over her obsession of One Direction and my obsession over Big Bang. I guess she has read some of my work. Note to Self: Delete my fan-fictions.
     “What?” Seunghyun says, looking down at my younger cousin. “Amelia, introduce me to people!” he says lightheartedly. I let go of my cousins face and she is is frozen. Yes, I brought the equivalent to Harry Styles in Korea to your house. I guess she really did pay attention when I showed her videos and such.
     “Seunghyun,” this is my aunt Mel, and this is my younger cousin Luna. If you ever collaborate with One Direction, Lunawill flip. So, if you can make it happen, I say go for it,” I say to him.
     “Collaborate?” My aunt Mel questions. “What does Seunghyun do for a living? He’s not a student?”
     “He’s a theatre student right now but he’s been working for years,”
     “What do you mean, Amelia?” she seems to understand whats going on now, but isn’t sure whether or not to believe it.
     “This is TOP, Mel,”
     “Top…t-t…TOP!? LADY FACE?”
     Seunghyun looks back at me again with one of the widest smiles on his face I have ever seen. “Lady face? Is this the aunt that called me a lady face?!” 
     “You’re kidding me!” Mel exclaims. “No-no you didn’t. You didn’t!” Yeah, she refuses to believe it.
     “I’m not. But please don’t make this into a spectacle. We’re dating but I didn’t bring him here for show. I brought him here because he obnoxiously followed me home from Korea,” I say turning to him and shoving my nose up at him.
     “Hey!” He teases me and smiles while giving my cheek a kiss. My mom gasps and grabs my aunt by the hand bringing them both into the living room. She can’t handle the fact that he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter