Chapter 4: Verdict

Deceiving the Gods

Chapter 4: Verdict
___________________________________________________________

CODENAME: HERO

NAME: KIM JAEJOONG

AGENCY: NIS

Boredom. It’s a dangerous ailment that would cause one to do stupid things while in search of a cure. I was cursed with the disease of boredom. There was about an hour left before classes start, and I was left with nothing to do. It’s quite funny actually that within such a large organization that is the NIS only two agents are enrolled in culinary classes, even despite Zeus' insistance that most of the agents attend the same university. Nevertheless, I think it is a stupid idea, what if the enemy bombs the school? The NIS would lose the majority of its members! Yet Zeus refuses to listen to my claims.

* * *

“Zeus, we don’t know which, or how much information the NJC has managed to get from our files, even with the decoys we laid, they might have gotten the files of the actual agents!” I yelled, pacing after him.


“Listen Jaejoong –”


“Zeus, use the aliases, they are there for a reason.”


“Alright, Hero,” He snapped, Zeus had no patience for my antics; he believes I am much too anxious and plays it too safe. “With the matter of our agents’ safety it would become suspicious if anyone of them discontinues their regular activities – if the NJC has managed to crack through the codes of the files. Now, it is unclear of what and which information they got, therefore we should only act with caution and better yet don’t act at all.”


“Zeus, there is no logic to that!” I yelled.


“Jae –” he cut himself off after seeing my glare. “Hero, its reverse psychology. We must act as if the agents are not agents, and let them roam, if the NIC realizes that the ones they have found are incognito then they will realize that they are agents.”


“Zeus –”


“Hero, now is not the time to discuss this, we are flying back to Gwangju tomorrow, We have finished what is needed. What if the NJC has hacked into your information? Your disappearance would only cause assurance to your identity.”


“I can worry less about the safety of myself, and more about the safety of my comrades.” Zeus rubbed the temples, shutting his eyes, it would seem I am causing him a headache.


“Jaejoong, you are the next foothold to this organization, you should realize that your life is of high value, though no one yet knows that you are the son of the commander, if I die, you must take my place.”


“Father –”


“Jaejoong, go, I am tired of talking about these matters.”

* * *

Father, what does the NIS mean to you? How do you plan to use the loyalty of these agents and their lives? However, I guess you are right. I am worrying too much. However, why is U-Know the only one not attending university? Surely, a man such as him should be spending his time focused on his studies. Instead he is scouring the world for any traces of the presence of the NJC – which usually ends up in the death of a political leader.


However, during Poseidon’s time as a double agent, he was able to confirm that Hades’ original plan of action was to focus on the NIS rather than the political leaders of the world. If that were the case then the newly appointed head will most likely retain that outlook and will take whatever information they had gained in order to leave my father’s organization in ruin. It would be particularly worrisome if the NJC had gained information of the NIS's less athletic agents such Max... well of course Max has Alecto to keep him safe in comparison to the other hackers. Then again, the entirety of NIS has seen the aftermath of Poseidon’s betrayal and the chance of Poseidon being threatened into giving false information is extremely high.


“Good Morning Jaejoong! You’re so early today! Did the headmaster finally make an example out of his son?”


Students had finally started to saunter into the classroom and still continuing their usual care free banter. Nevertheless most stopped their conversations long enough to quickly greet me. Being the headmaster’s son many students knew me to some degree. There were many more who knew me through my less than ideal reputation of wandering from course to course without a care. The two combined had sparked quite a lot of rumours actually. Most people had no idea how I could be the son of someone so scholarly could have such a relaxed personality. I think the most widely accepted rumour now was along the lines of me being a prodigy that studied in America but was expelled. I had once overheard a girl whispering that I had come back to Korea because I wasn’t interested in the career options my father had put out for me. She even said it had gone to the point that I failed all my subjects until he agreed to let me study the Culinary Arts. Not only that but –


“Class, we have a new transfer student.” The professor said, walking in with a stack of books, a figure trailing behind him. “Why don’t you introduce yourself to the class?” he asked them. The figure bowed, then raised their head to face the rows of students.
“Hello, I am Sato Ai. Pleased to meet you.”
___________________________________________________________

Author's Note: It has been now proclaimed, that ObsidianTheatre will update this story every Tuesday. I will also take this time to announce the joining of the other half of ObsidianTheatre. Hisa Amaya, also known in this story as Styx, Kimura Rin. She is the brains of this tale, “Deceiving the Gods” would not be what it is without her. We hope you enjoyed this chapter, and look forward to more!
___________________________________________________________

~ Always Keep the Faith ~