Chapter 15: Interruption

Deceiving the Gods

Chapter 15: Interruption

____________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

CODENAME: STYX

NAME: KIMURA RIN

AGENCY: NJC

As I exited the airplane, I pulled on sunglasses. Under the shade of black, I casually scanned the airport; noting the security cameras and guards watching the room. I was in enemy territory, Korea was no place for the head of the NJC to be. However, due to the circumstances of Mickey's safe return, only the best could carry out this operation.

 

Xiah should already be at his bound destination - Gwangju. His flight landed at 6:00am, Nesoi's would be taking off around 7:15pm. She would be the last to arrive in Korea. When she lands she will book a hotel immediately just as Xiah has. I, I will be arriving in Seoul at 10:00am to which Eos would come and pick me up from. From here, Eos and I will slowly begin moving from Seoul back to Gwangju. Within three days of my arrival here, all four of us will be reunited under the banner of my full command.

 

"Hello Miss, may I please have your passport and ask you to remove your sunglasses?" the attendant asked in Korean from behind the immigration and customs booth, I glanced at her from behind the shadows of sunglasses and lifted the passport higher. The English words were sure to be noticed, just as my unresponsiveness will be too. I watched as the lady's eyes drifted to the passport and onto me. She nods to herself, finally realizing the message that my body language told – an apparent inability to understand Korean- then begins the same lines in broken English. I acknowledged her, took off the sunglasses, and handed her the passport. The woman politely takes the passport from my hands, "Thank You Mrs. Smith." Opening the passport, she scans through the authorization of legitimacy and at the picture of me. "And what brings you to Seoul?" she asked, peering over the papers.

 

"I am expecting child," I replied in perfect English, "and thus my parents wish to come to America with me in order to be with their first grandchild." How long has it been since I have spoken in English? Even before my father's death, before I moved to Japan, it was always Japanese.

 

 "That's wonderful news!" the woman cries. "And where is the father?" However, suddenly she switched back into Korean –flawlessly under the impression that I didn't understand it – to mutter under her breath about “whether the father could have run off”   the thought explained by the fact that “I am an American after all.”

 

"My husband couldn't have come." I stated, "His mother is ill and we decided that it would be best if he stayed." The woman smiled at me once again before handing me back the passport.

 

"Enjoy your stay."

 

I turned away from the counter, placed my sunglasses back on, and strode out the door.  That was strange; I felt the need to defend this imaginary husband.  Why did Xiah’s face appear in my head? However, before I manage obtain my luggage and clear my head, my cellphone vibrated. A text? Xiah knows not to text me at this time and Nesoi has never texted me, only direct calls ever came from her.

 

Eos.

~

Rin.

 

I have come to pick you up along with two university boys who wish to give us a tour of Seoul. I have tried to tell them off by picking you up as an excuse but they were too persistent and I do not wish to blow our cover. I have told them you are my older sister.

 

Sato Ai

~

 

Fury and annoyance began building within me and I felt my teeth clench together. I had more faith in Eos's abilities. How inconvenient and she chooses to tell me now? With this change in the schedule, it would seem that there wouldn't be a way to contact neither Nesoi nor Xiah. No matter, this will only be a test to our diligence. I strut over to get my luggage from the conveyer belt and out the arrival door. Outside, I spotted two tall males standing beside a shorter girl. The girl had ashen pale skin, her left eye hidden beneath a heavy fringe of light brunet hair: Sato Ai, my temporary ‘younger sister’. One of the boys had cropped, straight, black hair. His mouth set with an almost childlike pout. The other had longer, dyed, light brown hair: swept to the right side of his brow and covering most of his eyes. There was something off about him; perhaps it was an aura that seems to surround him. I strode over to them, allowing my lips to turn up into a disgustingly sweet smile.

 

"Sweet Sister," I whispered in Japanese, "It would have been all the sweeter if you told me more about the two standing beside you." I turned to face the two beside me. The boy with black hair asked Eos a question in Korean, muttering something about my inability to speak the native language.

 

"No, Changmin-shii," Eos replied, "She can't speak Korean, however she can speak English, and you are fluent aren't you?" I narrowed my eyes at her, Eos never used to answer questions with such directness. Her answers used to be covered with little lies, even if true they were rarely more than four words per sentence. Suddenly, I heard the shorter boy begin to laugh.

 

"That's good, then she wouldn't care if Changmin and I discuss who's ier between you and your sister as long as we speak in Korean." He laughed.

 

I snapped my head over to him.

 

"Oh?" I nearly hissed, barking at him in rapid English, "Is that so? Then you wouldn't mind if I kick your groin?" He backed away and raised his arms up in defeat, the other appeared to be a little frightened. "I cannot speak Korean, however I can understand it." My patience was waning, with Eos and that insolent man. I feel no concern over Changmin: my reply to other must have surprised him enough to understand to leave me alone and, judging by his body language, he seemed to have a more timid nature anyway.

 

"Jaejoong!" Eos hissed under her breath, with a little more agitation than necessary though, "I'm sorry Rin-sama, I should have known letting these two come would only make things worse." she cried, putting on a distressed facade. "You must be tired from your flight and the additional stress of Yoochun's disappearance." she turned to address the ill-mannered Jaejoong in Korean, "Perhaps you should save that tour for another time? Rin-sama would probably like to go back to her hotel." A tour? In the midst of Mickey's predicament, Eos let a university boy take her on a tour? Eos has no clue of her place! Nor the seriousness of this situation! Is she is growing soft?

 

Jaejoong opened his mouth, to protest, no doubt, however I beat him to it: “No, Sister," I started, formulating a plan for punishment; what better way to distress Eos than by having her keep up this little performance. Either way any normal tourist would appreciate the opportunity. But I refuse to allow Eos to forget what our mission is; I refuse to let her forget how badly she failed.  "I think that we should go. After all what would be better after your dear, beloved cousin has gone missing?”

 

Eos' eyes widened, Changmin appeared to be baffled by the scene, and Jaejoong smiled: "Then it’s settled! Let's go!" He turned and nearly skipped his away out the door, Changmin followed closely in suit, leaving Eos to help me with my luggage.

 

“You two go on ahead, I’ll just leave my luggage in the hotel room I booked here!” I shouted with fake exuberance.

 

"What are you doing?" Eos hissed, "We need to get back to Gwangju as soon as possible!"

 

"And risk blowing our cover?" I snapped back, "We are in Korea, Eos; every single person here could be a member of the NIS. We must take care. But you must know that, right my darling sister?" She glared at me, reached for my suitcase and stalked off.

 

*      *      *

As the day continued by, my fury with Eos has not subsided, however my attempt at controlling it has been more evident despite my annoyance of wasting time. Jaejoong had taken us to an amusement park and occupied his time with asking me questions.

 

“So, Rin,” he began, his English quiet fluent, “when did you hear of your cousin’s disappearance?”

I narrowed my eyes in response. I was more than suspicious of Jaejoong’s motives. Nevertheless I answered. “Ai told me, after Yoochun didn’t return to the apartment they were sharing three days ago. She called me directly after.”

 

“Are you certain that Yoochun is actually missing and not gone on a short trip? After all, I heard he was quite inconsiderate” Jaejoong stated. Beside me, Eos paused in her stride; shock maimed her face as she gaped at Jaejoong.  I glanced at her out of the corner of my eye. She was fairly unresponsive with Jaejoong’s questioning until the word ‘inconsiderate’ was said. I returned my attention to the infuriating Jaejoong.

 

“Yoochun may be rash and thoughtless, but he knows he has the responsibility to take care of Ai, he wouldn’t leave without notifying her first.”

 

                “Yes, and Rin-sama,” Eos started, having recovered from her bout, “he did tell me that he was going to the mall with a girl, someone by the name of Lee Hyosun.” I hid my approval of Eos’ action underneath a mask of false surprise. Eos has finally reverted back into that hard shell I remember.

 

                “And did you try to look for her?” I asked, already knowing the answer. The NJC has been attempting to trace the whereabouts of Lee Hyosun however it was in vain. She is no doubt a member of the NIS, and most likely had gone into hiding.

 

                “Yes, but I couldn’t find her, it seems that she hasn’t been attending school these past few days.” Eos said, she then addressed Jaejoong, “Jaejoong, you are the son of the Headmaster of the university aren’t you?” Jaejoong nodded. “Then can you search up Hyosun’s files? Perhaps there could be information about where Yoochun is?”

 

                “Oh look guys! Let’s go on that ride!” Changmin cried, breaking the conversation about Micky and Lee Hyosun. Jaejoong agreed with him, having forgotten about Ai’s sudden request. The two boys led the way, leaving Eos and I behind.

 

                “Nice work, Ai,” I whispered to her in Japanese, “Jaejoong seems to be avoiding the questions about Hyosun, a little sceptical?” Eos nodded, glaring at the back of Jaejoong’s head before walking towards the ride.

 

                “Hey, Ai, come sit with me,” Jaejoong beckoned, patting the empty space of the rollercoaster car. Eos’ eyes widened in response, and then confusion marked her features, followed by timorousness and slight panic. I snapped my head over to Jaejoong, sending thoughts of murder his way.

 

                So he was the reason Eos was becoming lenient, he was the reason why I was partaking in going on this ridiculous tour when I should be rendezvousing with my agents. He is the reason why I am going on this rollercoaster when I could be working on the next stages of my plan. I pushed Eos towards his car and strut over to the one behind them. The one only occupied by Changmin. Changmin pushed himself as far away from me as possible. In a way I pitied the man, he had been polite enough, he was probably just trying to get away from the ghastly aura I was exuding.  I wonder if every man I meet would avoid me like this as long as I maintain my iron face… even Xiah had been avoiding me since he had told me about Mickey’s predicament.

 

                The ride started as soon as I sat down. The train of cars slowly climbed the clicking tracks up and up.

 

                With each of the clicks of the tracks, my fury rose. What in world are we doing here? I should be on my way to Gwangju and these two seem to be bent on keeping Eos and I on this so called tour. Something is wrong with this Jaejoong and Changmin, and I swear I will find out what.

 

 

*    *    *

 

                After the torture of that ride, Changmin almost begged Jaejoong to leave the amusement park, to which Eos agreed fervently. Jaejoong then led us to a small Westernized restaurant near the amusement park and I knew I couldn’t handle being civil any longer. After this dinner I must excuse Eos and myself to leave.

 

                “So Rin,” Jaejoong asked pleasantly, “I can’t help but notice that Ai keeps calling you Rin-sama. Why is that?” I clutched the stem of my glass harshly; nevertheless, I lightly smiled at him.

 

                “Is that so? Remind me Ai,” I turned to face her, smiling, “Why is it that you call me Rin-Sama?” Eos scowled at me, and then raised her chin to retain all the dignity she had left.

 

                “Because you taught me everything I know, Rin-sama.” She replied. Changmin’s jaw dropped; obviously was shocked by Ai’s sudden change of behaviour. Jaejoong however, watched the transformation of Eos’ obedience with interest and intrigue.

 

                “Oh, so that is the case,” Jaejoong started once again, “You must have been a very close family.”

 

                “Do you think so?” I asked, sarcasm without a doubt laced in my words, “Why else would I come all the way to Korea?”

 

                “What, you mean for Yoochun or whatever?” he asked, unconvinced. He raised his glass of wine and swirled the contents inside, “It’s not like you even bothered to call the police.”

 

                “Well, maybe I did. Maybe the Japanese police cannot have anything to do with Korea. Or maybe I came all the way to Korea myself to take a relaxing tour of Seoul rather than to contact the police force that might actually help.”

 

                “Oh, you’re not that good with priorities are you?”

 

                My sense of patience no longer existed.

 

I slammed my palm onto the table, stood, and lashed my arm out at the goblet in Jaejoong’s fingers. The glass plummeted to the wood floor, shattering on contact with a deafening crash.

 

                “I guess I better fix that, shouldn’t I?” I asked, the words falling from my mouth under locked jaws, “I am going to find my cousin, no matter what it takes.”

 

                I trudged out of the restaurant with Eos at my heels, leaving the two boys to deal with the scene and mess. I then turned and snapped at Eos.

 

                “Eos. This day was only more reasons to add onto your failed partnership with Mickey. Unless you prove yourself to me in our next mission, you are done for. We are going to get Mickey back.”  

 _____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: Hello everyone! ObsidianTheatre has returned! And we will be continuing our weekly updates! Hope everyone will still support us and has enjoyed the 15th chapter of Deceiving the Gods!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

~ Always Keep the Faith ~