Prologue: Recognition

Deceiving the Gods

Prologue Part 1: Recognition
___________________________________________________________

CODENAME: HERMES
AGENCY: NJC
___________________________________________________________

A wicked smile graced my lips as my target entered the room, unaware that it had already been occupied with a mortal enemy. Their steps were keen and controlled, carefully avoiding any hidden alarms and traps that would stop their advance upon their “victim”. Little did they know that there weren’t only traps, but also an agent in the room, little did they know that their “victim” had escaped a whiles ago, little did they know that their career as an assassin is going to end this night. The snap of metal upon metal through me out of my reverie, the target had armed themselves with a gun. I swiftly snapped mine into place and raised it up, and pulled the trigger. As always I never missed my mark, a shriek of anguish echoed through the room. I froze in my step. A girl? A girl was the assigned target?

A hiss escaped her lips as her left arm reached down and plunged her fingers through the wound, hauling the bullet out her leg. Her right hand raised the gun and pointed it at me. Out of instinct I ducked as several gun shots resounded, and concealed itself within the walls. I rolled and bounded up, scanning the darkened room for the girl.

“Ares*!” I heard a voice yell. I leaped towards the sound. “Ares, he isn’t here, the governor must have escaped!” I turned around the corner to see the girl starring out the window her left hand pressed to her ear, rapidly speaking Japanese, asking for help, while her eyes, her eyes were considering the consequences to her injuries if she jumps out.

“Nesoi*, get out of there!” the other end of her communication line yelled – also speaking Japanese. “An agent from the NIS is there! You’ll never survive – ”

“Of course you won’t, Nesoi.” I interrupted, responding in their native language. The girl spun around, her face still hidden behind a hood. “Nesoi, those who cross paths with the NIS never survive.” I begun to advance upon her, a growl ripped from her lips as she lowered herself into a defensive stance.

“Don’t underestimate me,” she whispered. Instantly her hand flashed before my face, a dagger traveling with it. I dodged it, then attempted to swipe her legs out from under her, jumping over them she backed away and sprinted to the door, dragging her wounded leg behind her.

Muttering light profanities I followed after. Abruptly a flash of metal buried itself deep into my arm. I yelped as the shock of the laceration finally reached my brain. Grasping the hilt I wrenched the sharp blade out of my flesh, grunting in pain.

“I suggest you wouldn’t move.” The girl said while stepping out from behind a highly decorated column, “Venom coated that blade. If you continue to struggle the toxin will only kill you faster.” I snarled. Be Dammed! I took her too lightly! I shouldn’t have let my guard down! “Sayonara*.” She murmured. My limbs no longer belonged to me, as they toppled out from underneath, bringing my face closer to the granite covered floor. “I hope your journey to the afterlife be an agonizing one.” And with that, my mind tumbled off into the depths of Nihility*.

*Ares: God of War, Bloodlust, and Violence
*Nesoi: Goddess of the Islands
*Sayonara: The Japanese Word for GoodBye
*Nihility: The French word for Nothingness.
___________________________________________________________

~ Always Keep the Faith ~