Chapter 3: Assignment

Deceiving the Gods

Chapter 3: Assignment
___________________________________________________________

CODENAME: MICKY

NAME: PARK YOOCHUN

AGENCY: NJC

“Got it.” Xiah murmured. I swiftly strode over to his computer, avoiding Eos and Nesoi drowning over documents laid out upon the table. Styx* beat me there, already reading whatever information there was upon the screen. I copied her movement. Upon the screen were the profile of three people. Two male and one female. The girl had lush black locks swathing around her face, her face ashen pale, contrasting the murky color of her large eyes. The other two had very insignificant features. Underneath their pictures were….strange long bars, varying in thickness. A bar code?


“It seems as this needs to be decoded.” Xiah muttered.


“Good luck.” Nesoi muttered, making her way towards the screen showing the progress of the NIS playing the game. “And you might want to hasten, the NIS are nearly finished the game.” Styx narrowed her eyes against the screen. Xiah muttering to her how to crack it. I backed away, uninterested in the two’s work. Instead I marched over to Eos, and watched her sort files. Styx and Xiah’s voices harmonized with the snapping of keys and scratching of pencils.


“Lee Hyo Sun…” Styx said, finally able to break the cipher. “An agent of the NIS. From this, it says she is attending the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology.” She continued reading off the information, notifying the ones who weren’t there to read it themselves – Eos, Nesoi and myself. However, something is becoming troublesome in my mind, as if a thought wants to make itself known however cannot. That collage… why does it ring a bell? Wait…


“Hey, that’s that collage I was accepted into not too long ago!” I cried, as the thought emerged through the net holding it back. Styx gave me a calculated look, as if she was planning something. She straightened her back and walked back to the table where Eos* remained bent over her work. Nesoi was still occupied watching the NIS’s advance in the game Xiah created.


“Mickey,” Styx quietly said, her eyes closed – a plan probably formulating in her head. “The collage you were accepted into, what were you taking?”


“Graphic design.”


“Xiah.” Styx called, an unspoken order between them, then:


“Lee HyoSun seems to also be majoring in game design.” He replied, his eyes still fastened on the screen.


“Styx, do you plan to send Mickey?” Nesoi asked, finally paying attention. Styx nodded, her eyes still closed.


“However, sending only one is a perilous choice, perhaps two?” she muttered almost incomprehensibly, as if it was only meant to her heard by herself. “Logically, this could be a trap; the NIS could be toying with us, possibly the reason for the two decoy males…to hide the girl?” Finally her eye met mine. “Mickey, you’re going to be attending this collage with your sister.”
“Sister?” I asked. What is she planning?


“Eos.” Styx respond. Eos jerked her body back at the sound of her alias. My eyes widened, Eos? Eos is going to be my partner in this assignment? The girl never liked to work with others, especially me!


“What?” cried Eos, “Do you not trust our capabilities to work on our own?”


“It isn’t a matter of trust, these are NIS agents, not petty politicians, I'm sending you out to the front lines, it is imperative that this mission is a complete success else we would have lost one of our best agents, which would lead to case like Themis’s.” Styx countered strictly.


“Fine, a relationship such as siblings is too much, perhaps cousins for minimal contact.” Eos snapped. Styx nodded.
“You and Eos will be posing as cousins attending this collage, of course Eos you will be pursuing a different career option. Mickey you will befriend this Lee HyoSun and trail her, your job is to confirm the fact that she is an agent of the NIS. After that, both of you will capture her.” Eos appeared beside me, her expression: apathetic. Her aura: completely terrifying.


“However,” Styx continued, “You both will not take any physical hostility against Lee HyoSun without consulting to me first – this means you Eos.” Eos scoffed.


“Xiah do you have all the information you need?” Nesoi suddenly asked.


“From the most I can get.” Xiah replied. “Did the NSI finish?” All four of us began to crowd around her screen, watching the end of the game. The ending scene where Xiah swears his loyalty to the goddess, the personification of Styx.


“Hey, that isn’t the ending of ‘Kid Icarus’.” I said, a mischievous smile playing upon my lips. “I was certain Xiah had to sweep the goddess off her feet, the lovely Styx here.”


“Micky, I suggest you shut your mouth, before I do it for you.” Styx said serenely.


“My, my, Xiah.” Nesoi said, cruelly smiling at the said man. “Are my eyes playing tricks with me, or is a blush I see.” I hollered with laughter, Nesoi joining in with me. Styx gave us both a malevolent glare. Nesoi ceased her giggling and stumbled out of the room, mumbling something about plane tickets.


“When do we leave?” Eos asked.


“As soon as Nesoi can book the flight, preferably tomorrow.” Styx said.


Eos turned to face me. Her eyes: glaring. “Don’t mess up.”


“And one more thing,” Styx said “in case of an emergency. In case Lee HyoSun realizes who both of you are, I want you to use your judgement and kill her.”

*Eos: Goddess of Dawn
*Styx: The goddess of the River of the Underworld, the personification of hatred
___________________________________________________________

Author's Note: The lovely poster was created by Bebeyelmo / Eos herself. Very nice isn’t it? ObsidianTheatre hopes you enjoy the third chapter to “Deceiving the Gods”. Please comment to criticize anything about Hisoka’s writing style, or plot, or characterization, or anything in between
___________________________________________________________

~ Always Keep the Faith