Chapter 1

Like Water

Chapter 1

 

When you were a little child, everything around you screamed of love. The blooming flowers in the garden, the stray cats and dogs down the street, the birds chirping loudly every morning by your bedroom window, and even the lady at the cash register of the convenience store your family always went to buy your diapers and milk. Everything seemed so beautiful for you, and you couldn’t wait to grow up and appreciate it even more.

 

Another fact about when you were little was that your family always travelled. And it didn’t matter whether it was the holidays or for the weekends. Your family would always find a place they’d want to visit and the airport was like a second home for you.

 

 Of course, this was all possible since your family was one of the wealthiest in Korea and owned several hotels all over the globe. You considered yourself lucky to be born in such a family. In addition to be able to travel all around the world, you were able to see more of what love had to offer.

 

Like the dazzling white houses and stunning sunsets at the island of Santorini, Greece. The sandy white beaches of the Maldives, the beautiful turquoise lagoon of Bora Bora Island and even managed to witness the moonrise at Lanikai beach in Hawaii. All these entire places you’ve visited before turning the age of ten.

 

What you liked most was that wherever your family would go on a vacation, there would always be a beach close by. You liked water. You liked the sound of water. You liked being in water. It made you feel calm. It made you feel love.

 

 You’ve always liked the feeling of being surrounded by love. But there was one love that was different. This love, was the love that you craved for every time you went to the airport. Because this love, never came back.

 

You couldn’t remember it clearly, but all you did was that you were just six years old. Your family was supposed to go on a vacation to Bali but your flight was delayed. Even if it was a private jet, it couldn’t be helped because of the weather. There was a typhoon nearby and thus your family had to wait at the airport until it was cleared.

 

 “Umma, I’m going to walk around for a while.” You cheerfully said. Your mother nodded and smiled before instructing Mr Lee to follow you.

 

Mr Lee was your butler. That’s right, you even had your very own personal butler. You didn’t mind it of course. He’s been with you ever since you were born. He changed your diapers, fed you, played with you, and even taught you how to read and write. He was like your second dad.

 

You walked around the airport, looking at all the duty-free shops, smiling at random people who walked past you, talking to the staff. You’ve been to the airport countless of times that everyone there knew who you were. And they always looked forward to seeing you. And you always looked forward to seeing them too. Especially Ms Jung.

 

Ms Jung worked as one of the operating staffs at the airport. She always came to greet your family. And she would talk to you. You walked around, searching for her. Your eyes gleamed as soon as you spotted her, talking to a small boy who seemed to be crying. You quickly skipped your way towards her, with your pigtails bouncing up and down and Mr Lee followed frantically behind you. You may be small, but your stamina and speed were something Mr Lee had a hard time to catch up with. Age was catching up with him.

 

 

“Hello Ms Jung!” You merrily said as you tugged her hand.

 

“Hello Hae Ra. Could you hold on for a minute? I am in the middle of something.” She said apologetically and gestured towards the crying boy in front of her.

 

You nodded and glanced to see the boy. Tears were streaming down his face and a snot bubble was forming on his nose. There was also a slight bruise on his knee. It was red and sore.


Maybe he fell down somewhere.

 

“There, there, stop crying and tell me. Where are your parents?” Ms Jung tried her best to calm the boy down but to no avail. At that moment there was soft pull on your sleeve. It was Mr Lee.

 

“Young Master, it’s about time for you to board the plane. Your family is waiting. We should go now.”  He politely said. You nodded but you couldn’t seem to tear your eyes away from the boy. He was still crying and Ms Jung was having a hard time.

 

 You took a small step towards the boy and he momentarily stopped crying to look at you. His eyes were the most beautiful eyes you’ve ever seen. How can a small boy possess such beautiful eyes? Those doe-like orbs were staring right at you, innocent but a little intimidated. Smiling, you took a small napkin out from the dress of your pocket. It was your favorite napkin given to you by your late grandmother.

 

“Here, you made a snot bubble.” You handed him the napkin.

 

 

 He stared at you, looking confused. When he looked like he was about to cry again, you quickly went up to him and gave him a hug. You were a little shorter than him and that had caused some of his snot to brush against your hair. You didn’t mind it of course. You wanted to make him feel better. He stopped crying completely, except for a few hiccups. You slowly let him go and helped to wipe his snot away.

 

 

“Seeing how taller you are than me, you must be an oppa!”

 

The boy had a faint blush on his cheeks and he wiped the tear stains on his face before nodding. You handed him the napkin.

 

“Young Master, we really have to go now. Or you’ll miss your flight.” Mr Lee said with slight urgency in his voice. He also kept looking at his watch. You nodded and turned to wave at the boy.

 

 

“My name is Kim Hae Ra! You can keep the napkin. Don’t cry oppa! It’ll ruin your pretty eyes.” You said and turned towards Ms Jung who seemed to be relieved that the boy had stopped crying. “Bye Ms Jung!” After giving her a quick hug around her legs, you held on to Mr Lee’s hand for him to lead you back to your family.

 

“B-bye! Y-you’re eyes are p-pretty too!” You stopped walking as soon as you heard it. He was waving his hand like mad and was biting his lower lip. It was as though he was embarrassed of what he has said. And that was when you felt it. That love. You didn’t know why it felt so different than the usual. But you loved it so much. You waved goodbye to the boy and continued walking with Mr Lee. Love felt so good afterwards.

 

 

Of course that can only last so long. Now after twelve years, you’ve never felt that same love anymore. Everything around you lacked of love. The blooming flowers brought bees that were a nuisance, the stray cats and dogs peeing and eating on everything, the birds chirping sounded as though someone was firing a machine gun early in the morning, disturbing you from your sleep and even the lady at the cash register was replaced with an old and disgusting ahjussi that smelled of alcohol.

 

 

A world that was once screaming and emitted love to you became so dull and boring. And this all happened after a tragic incident that took away the life your very own father.