・ t w o ・

Branded ・ As ・ y o u r s
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Two First Words 

 

 

At promptly 9am that next morning, there was a knock at our apartment door.

From her seat opposite of me at the breakfast bar, mum looked up, confused. It was a well known fact that my aunt, Yoon-Ji, placed her work before her social life, so the house was always silent. No visitors, no packages - just letters from the postman containing bills. So a knock at the door had my mother literally in a tizzy.  

"I wonder who it could be!" She squealed, leaping off the stool and rushing down the hallway. 

I chuckled as I took the last bite of my toast and placed my plate in the sink. Grabbing my glass of orange juice I began to drink it down quickly just as my mother came back in, her expression pleased.

"It's your friend, honey. She asks if your ready to go explore?" 

I nod and place my now empty cup in the sink and make my way over to the shoe cupboard. The front door is open and I can seen Dara outside standing nervously. When she spots me she waves enthusiastically. 

"Hana! I hope I'm not interrupting breakfast?" She asks. 

"I've finished. Just let me grab my shoes and bag and we can head off." She beams at this, and as I turn to pull on my shoes I can see mother giving me an expectant look.

"We'll, Hana?" She hedges. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your new friend?" 

I roll my eyes at how obvious she is being.

"Mum, this is our neighbour, Dara. Dara, this is my mum, Jung Mi-Yoon." 

Dara bows lowly and is practically glowing. The pair of them are far too happy and bouncy for 9am. 

"It's nice to meet you! I'm Park Sandara. I live just across the hall."

"It's lovely to meet a friend of Hana's!" Mother gushes. "I was worried she would find it difficult to make friends after the move." 

"Not at all. Hana is a lovely girl and I'm sure she will make plenty of friends." 

I shake my head and grab my bag before they both decide to bake cookies or something.

"I know, I know, I'm amazing." I drawl sarcastically, giving mother a peck on the cheek. "But I'm also late for my appointed tour. I'll be back in time for tea." I tell her as I step into the complex hall.

Mother stands and waves from the doorway as we make our way to the stairwell. 

"Have fun, girls!" She calls. "And Hana, honey? Don't talk to strangers, and don't get into any unmarked taxis!"

As the doors swing shut behind her I sigh heavily.

"God I am so sorry about that." I apologise. "I didn't think she'd be that embarrassing..."

Dara laughed. "Are you kidding? She's really nice, and it's really sweet how she looks out for you."

"Some call it sweet, I call it over protective..." I muttered. 

"She's right though." Dara notes idly. "There's loads of shifty guys about in Seoul lately. I swear crime is constantly on the up."

"Just like any major city, then."

"Well... Yeah, I suppose so." She shrugs. 

Shes taking the stairs literally two at a time, practically leaping down them, so when we reach the sixth floor I'm absolutely shattered. Holding onto the railing I slow down until she finally notices she's far ahead and stops.

"Oh!" She exclaims, looking appalled. "Sorry about that!"

"You're really energetic." I gasp, catching my breath. "Do you play sports or work out?"

"Something like that." She smiles, but it lacks the cheeriness from moments ago.

I wonder at the sudden mood change as we head further down the stairs - at a normal pace.

"Ugh, what are you doing here?" Dara suddenly asks as we reach the bottom, and I look

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter