002

The Frozen Heart

 

“I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again.” -Lewis Carrol-

 

Yes, it’s winter. Eunmi, winter has come to visit us once again. You love winter more than spring, don't you? So do I. When there's snow on the ground, I like to pretend that I'm walking on clouds... no. I only used to love winter. The pure white snow that fell from the sky... it’s not that pure.

 

“She turned to the sunlight
And shook her yellow head,
And whispered to her neighbor:
"Winter is dead.” ― A.A Milne-

 

Yes, winter is dead. Eunmi, winter is dead... A lot of people like snow. While I view it as some nothing more than frozen water since then. Every time I see white snow falling over my head, it’s not pure white anymore... It's just bloody red, tainted snow. December's wintery breath is already clouding the ponds, frosting the panes, obscuring summer's memory...

It was snow that made you happy, but I... What does snow really mean to me, Eunmi?

I’ve decided. The only thing that I need to do for the rest of my life is helping you out with your daily life. I’ll nail it into my mind. Make you happy, make you happy, make you happy, make you happy... make you happy, make you happy... and... make YOU happy. - Jung Eunmi.”

 

“Oh, what the heck is this? 'Make you happy, make you happy, make you happy...' Is that all? Just what in the world is she? This looks like a love confession. I thought it would be something fun to read.” His smile faded away as he pouted. He flipped to another page but there was only the same things written on it. 

“Oh!” he exclaimed. He grinned as his eyes fell on something interesting on the last page of the notebook.

“Yah! Kim Jongin!” He turned his head quickly on hearing his name being called. He snorted, feeling slightly disturbed.

“Uh... Suho hyung...” He answered lazily. His gaze focused on Suho who was already in front of him.

“What are you doing here? Standing in the middle of the snowy sidewalk just like a lamp post.” Suho examined him from head to toe as he furrowed his eyebrows curiously.

“Nothing. I was just-”

“I thought you said you were going to meet Chanyeol and Kyungsoo. Oh, what is that? I don’t remember you bringing a book along with you when we drank together earlier?”

“Oh, this one? It’s not mine. I was going to meet them when I bumped into a stranger. I think it belongs to her.” He answered as he handed the book over to Suho.

“Where is she?”

“I don’t know. Gone.” Jongin glanced at his watch before moving his eyes to gaze at Suho. Suho seemed to have taken an interest in the notebook and Jongin could see that in his eyes. Jongin grinned as he thought of something.

“Hyu-hyung, I need to go now! I’m already late for the dance club meeting. I'll leave the book with you, just do whatever you want with that thing. To return the book or throw it away, it’s up to you. I’m leaving!” Jongin stepped back before he turned and began to run off, away from Suho.

"Ya-Ya... Yah!" Suho yelled in panic, threatening to throw away the book but unfortunately the threat didn't work on Jongin. The latter just waved his hand from afar before he disappeared from Suho’s eyes.

His eyes dropped to the notebook. Just like Jongin, he swiftly swept over every single page of the notebook in vexation.

“Ah...That kid! He's always troubling me with his problems. Why did I even bother to talk to him earlier?” He kept talking to himself.

He covered his face briefly from frustration before his eyes went back onto the notebook, considering if he should leave the book where it was, give it back to Jongin, or return it to the rightful owner. But, how would he return the notebook? He didn’t even know who the girl that bumped into Jongin earlier was.

“Seriously? Just what kind of sin had I committed to always be trapped in this kind of troublesome situation?” Suho grumbled. He wiped away the snow from his hair and shoulders while his eyes busily continued to check out the notebook.

“Forget it! I have nothing to do with that book.” Feeling hopeless, he threw the notebook away from him, irritated. The book ended up landing not far away from him.

Suho glanced at the notebook that is now covered with snow and dirt before looking away. He inhaled deeply as he took a few steps away, and tried to forget about the meaningless notebook that he had just threw away.

Suddenly, he paused. Standing with his arms akimbo, he tilted his head left and right. He ruffled his hair and sighed. “Ahhh... I really hate this side of me...”

 

 

 

“Uh-oh...” Yoonmi narrowed her eyes into her shoulder bag. She pulled out every single thing in the bag and scattered them on the table.

“Yoonmi-ah, what are you doing?” Her classmate and best friend, Han Hyejin, looked at Yoonmi with agape. She was confused by Yoonmi's action. Hyejin sat down beside her as she placed a tray filled with two cups of caramel macchiato on the table.

Yoonmi looked up and smiled bitterly before she continued pulling everything out from her bag hastily. She continued searching.

“Is something missing?” Hyejin asked, as she took a sip of her drink.

“Sort of.”

“What is it? Need some help?”

“Um... Hyejin-ah, have you seen my notebook? The one that I used to carry around whenever I go?” Yoonmi furrowed her eyebrows, hoping for a useful answer from Hyejin as she returned all the scattered items into her bag helplessly.

“Which one? The dark blue coloured one?"

“Yeah, yeah! That one. Did you see it?”

“No, I didn't"

Yoonmi's expression filled with disappointment on hearing Hyejin’s answer. It was really disappointing.

“I really wanted to ask you about the book before. Is it your diary?”

“No.” Yoonmi answered without looking at Hyejin. She grabbed her drink as she sighed, still thinking about her book.

“Is it an important book?”

“No, not really. It's just a book filled with some of my memories as well as my past.” Yoonmi mumbled, just quiet enough so Hyejin could barely hear her.

Hyejin nodded a couple of times, hinting that she heard and understood what Yoonmi is trying to say even though she didn't fully understand what it meant.

“If that's so, just buy another one as a replacement then.”

“It’s alright, maybe I left it in my room. I’ll look for it once I get home.” She smiled slightly, trying to pretend that she was fine and not affected by the loss of the notebook. She picked up her books from the table and stood up.

“Where are you going?”

“To the library. Our classes have already ended for today, haven’t they?” Yoonmi spoke, having already taken a few steps away from her friend. Hyejin sighed as she stood up, moving closer to Yoonmi. She dragged Yoonmi back to the table, forcing her to sit on the chair that Yoonmi just vacated a few seconds ago. Yoonmi obeyed without any objections.

“Dear Lord... Yoonmi-ah, aren’t you supposed to accompany me to meet our senior from the Instrumental Music Club and then shop together for the Christmas preparations? ”

“I’m really sorry but I can’t. There’s something that I need to do at the library. Plus, I need to go home early. I’ve promised my twin already."

Yoonmi really felt bad toward Hyejin for not being able to accompany her. She had already promised Eunmi that she would go home straight away after she finished her work at the library. Besides, she had no desire to prepare anything for Christmas. At least, not for herself.

Even if she did prepare something, it would be only for Eunmi. Hyejin pouted before finally forming a smile as she let Yoonmi go.

Without waiting, Yoonmi hugged Hyejin and left. She headed to the library, her missing notebook still weighing heavily on her mind.