019

The Frozen Heart

 

“Please… Don’t be too nice to me.”

“Huh?” Suho exclaimed, totally clueless with what Yoonmi said.

“Don’t be too nice to me.” Eunmi repeated firmly and restrained herself from looking at Suho was clueless.

“Eun-Eunmi ah…What’s wrong?”

“Sunbae, can you stop the car? I want to walk home.” Eunmi asked instead of answering him.

“No, I’m sending you home.”

“Please, stop the car and let me walk home. I’m begging you.”

“But-but... It’s cold. At least let me take you to the bus stop.” Suho offered with a confused look. He was still shocked with Eunmi’s sudden change.

“No, I told you not to be nice to me right? So please let me off here, Sunbae.” Eunmi demanded with a cold look. Letting out a sigh, Suho felt helpless for letting Eunmi go but he couldn’t do anything. He could only watch her back as he drove by guiltily.

Heavy steps were imprinted on the white snow as their owner was drowned in her own thoughts. Eunmi’s face was flushed with crimson red, not because of the cold but rather, her own emotions were getting out of hand. Just a moment before, she was still in the car with Suho but she couldn’t bear to stay any longer. For reasons that she didn’t quite understand yet, Eunmi was feeling as if she would break down in tears so she insisted on walking home.

‘What am I supposed to do when I’m falling deeper, yet, he already has someone his mind? But why is he so nice to me when he is not even interested in me? Just what is this feeling of disappointment when I should have known that he could also like someone? Should I just give up? But this is the first time I have felt so attached, so... On love with someone...’

With staggering steps and a mind filled with thoughts, Eunmi didn’t realise that she had reached home until her twin sister’s voice echoed. “Eunmi-ah!” Yoonmi ran to her sister from the front door. She quickly wrapped a small blanket which she was holding while waiting for Eunmi at their home entrance.

“Let’s go inside quickly. You’re freezing.” Yoonmi dragged her twin into the house, worried that her sister would catch a cold from dressing so lightly.

“Go and have a warm shower, you need to defrost.” Yoonmi pushed her sister into the bathroom. While Eunmi was showering, Yoonmi was busy re-heating some leftovers and set up the dining table with side dishes.

As Eunmi stepped into the kitchen, Yoonmi noticed that Eunmi’s hair was not dried properly. There was something strange with her sister. Eunmi was not her usual bright, chirpy self but aloof and gloomy. Yoonmi was concerned, yet, she couldn’t ask Eunmi. Their dinner was awkward with a tense silence. The atmosphere was icy cold, as if they were eating in the middle of an ice field.

“Am I unattractive?” Eunmi sighed as she broke the silence. Instead of answering, Yoonmi put down her spoon and looked at her sister, letting her know that she was paying full attention to her story.

“I’m listening.”

“There’s a guy that I like at my university... You know, I think I’ve mentioned about him before.” Eunmi paused. She looked into Yoonmi’s eyes and she got the signal to go on. “He is my Sunbae in the photography club. I had been trying to get closer to him but everything is so confusing right now. At times, he seemed to be so gentle and sweet to me, yet, other times, he seems cold and distanced. The more I chase after him, the further away he gets. I tried hard to know him better, to let him know me better but everything seemed to be vain. And today, it seemed like he already has someone else in his heart. What should I do Yoonmi? Just what is my relationship with him?” Eunmi poured out her heart and hoped that her sister could come up with a solution. She even forgot that her sister was even more clueless about love than her.

“I-I don’t really know, Eunmi." Yoonmi sighed while she thought deeply of how she can help her sister. Neither Yoonmi or Eunmi felt like eating anymore.

“You know what, Yoonmi? It’s funny how you actually think you mean something to someone, and they just turn around and prove you wrong.” Eunmi chuckled helplessly before she continued.

"He's like the reflection on the water, as I get closer, I get more mesmerised but as soon as I try to get even closer, the reflection would disappear. It's just like how he became cold to me after my confession. Is there anything I can do? Or should I abandon all these feelings?" 

“Confession?” Yoonmi’s eyes widened.

“Er... Actually, it wasn’t exactly a confession. But I think he knows that I like him... Or he should at least know that since I’ve been expressing my inner feelings through my actions whenever he’s around me.”

“Ah...” Yoonmi slowly nodded; as her brain figured out something brilliant to solve Eunmi’s dilemma.

“Yoonmi-ah, what am I supposed to do now? Feeling unwanted ! I'd rather he tell me that he doesn’t want me around him than ignore me. My heart breaks knowing he’s playing games with me. ”

"Can you even erase those feelings? It seems quite deep to me. Maybe you were being too aggressive and greedy in advancing the relationship. Maybe he was just trying the push and pull thing or maybe, he didn't like that you confessed first. It could be that he has a thing for being prideful as a man. I think time will solve everything; you just need to be patient and approach him gently. Sometimes you just need to slow down; stay calm and just let things come to you. " 

"So to you, it seems like he does like me?" Eunmi asked; her eyes were glittered with hope.

"I believe so. But who is this sunbae that captured your heart?" Yoonmi was curious as Eunmi was the type to get confessions, not the one that gets deeply involved in one-sided love.

"He is caring and kind when needed but he also has an angry side. He is not like those guys that I dated before, always trying to hide their flaws. He is charming with his natural personality, not afraid to show his real emotions even if there are strangers at the scene. He was dazzling with his smile and he also loves photography as much as I do." Yoonmi could see the depressive look faded away, replaced by a grinning smile on Eunmi's face. Seeing how happy Eunmi was as she talked about the guy, Yoonmi was certain that her sister had fallen deep and the guy must be amazing. It triggered the thought of wanting to meet him in person.

"Maybe you should meet him tomorrow... Then tell me what do you think about him. Maybe, you can help me to make a right decision. I can ask him to meet up and you can see if he's worth it.” Eunmi suggested; half pleading, as if she could read Yoonmi's mind.

“Er... I don’t think I can do that.” Yoonmi tried to refuse.

“Please?”

"I have few classes to attend to tomorrow. I also have an appointment to learn piano with Xiumin Sunbaenim." Yoonmi hesitated as she didn't want to get in between with this vague relationship.

"Just do me a favor? You can even bring your piano teacher along if you feel awkward about it." Eunmi was pleading with puppy eyes, showing off her charming aegyo. 

“Eunmi-ah...”

“So you don’t love me, do you?”

"Alright... Alright, we’ll meet tomorrow, satisfied now?" Yoonmi eventually gave up as soon as she noticed Eunmi’s sulky face. She had always been willing to do anything for her sister so this small request was not difficult to accept and she did love Eunmi with all her heart, there’s no doubt in that.

 

 

There were clumsy sounds of piano notes faintly slipped out of the rumoured haunted Music Room. Sitting in front of the piano, Yoonmi was timidly hitting the keys as she followed Xiumin's guidance. Although it was awkward at first, Yoonmi was getting used to the cold touch of Xiumin's fingers whenever he fixed her mistakes and guided her to play the piece more smoothly.

"You are getting better now, much better." Xiumin complimented as their piano lesson was about to end.

"Really? I don't think I've improved that much." Yoonmi shyly replied as her face was getting pink from embarrassment.

“Do you still remember what I’ve told you before?” Xiumin asked; gazing his eyes towards her while Yoonmi only stared back blankly.

“Each of your fingers is a different word that describes the story. By itself it-”

“By itself it’s meaningless but strings them together and you have a melody.” Yoonmi interrupted, and finished Xiumin’s sentece with a smile. She still remembered those words clearly, but she had no courage to say it out first because she was confused on which quote Xiumin was referring to.

“What an excellent student I got here. You hear lots of notes, don’t you? Some have major sound, some have minor sound. But there’s no one blue note among all these black and white keys. The real blues, the soul of the sound, comes from the space in between.”

Yoonmi nodded in silence, quickly wrote something on her notebook.

"I’ll teach you how to play my favourite songs next time. As for today, our lesson ends here." Xiumin added as he randomly hit some keys on the piano and strangely and the random notes made a wonderful melody. The effect was captivating as all of the tones mixed, likewatercolour with hues swirled together, andthe notes carried on long after the fingers were lifted from the keys. There was something about his skills… The knowledge of darkness in the most extreme form.

While slently packing her belongings, her phone vibrated. It was message from her sister, reminding her of the meet up. Yoonmi sighed, still hesitating about going, as well as dragging Xiumin into this. Even so, she had already promised her sister and there was no way she could back down from her word. Walking closer toward Xiumin who was busy putting music sheets into his bag pack, Yoonmi called out his name nervously.

“Xi-Xiumin Sunbae…” Upon hearing his name, Xiumin slowly turned around and faced Yoonmi who stood next to him.

"Are you free after this?” Yoonmi carefully picked her words and treid not to sound forced and strange.

“Why?” Xiumin asked back.

“Uh... W-Well… If you're free, would you like to have a cup of coffee at the cafe near our university? I want to repay your lesson somehow."

"Are you trying to ask me for a date now? And you're planning to dump Suho if this date is a success? What should we do now, I didn’t know you would fall for me this fast, Yoonmi." Xiumin jokingly as he loved to see her panicked reaction.

"Er.... That's not it. I... I just want to repay your kindness. It's fine if you can't come." Yoonmi stammered as she thought Xiumin was being serious.

"I'm just joking. I'm totally free, well, I have a club meeting but I never attend it anyway. Yifan, Luhan and Yixing had been handling the club's matters just fine without me.”

"Are you sure?" Yoonmi asked with a worried look on her face.

"Of course, I don't want to miss out a treat from my student. It's a rare occassion. But…"

“But?” Yoonmi raised her eyebrows.

“Will Suho be alright with this… I mean, you and I… Having a cup of coffee together. The last time I bumped into you both at the café, he burned with jealousy whenever you talked to me. I’m pretty confident that he doesn’t like me being around you at all.”

“H-He doesn’t hate you…really...” That was all Yoonmi could say as she looked down.

“Yoonmi?”                          

“Uh... Yes?”

“Are you sure that this is all about ‘repaying kindnesses? Because my heart tells me that this isn’t that simple. There’s something more, I can feel it.” Xiumin's expression changed and Yoonmi was taken aback. He noticed that she was nervous and uneasy. He gently reaching out, grabbed her shoulder and made her looked into his eyes but it only lasted for a few seconds because Yoonmi chose to look away. That uncomfortable feeling spread over her again. His eyes were full of language.

“Your eyes are the perfect mix of gray and brown, like fog in the woods... I think if you laughed, it would sound like music.” Xiumin suddenly stated and moved closer toward her.

“Huh? Excuse me?” Yoonmi’s eyes widened; totally lost in Xiumin’s words.

“Your eyes show lies, you know that?” He chuckled softly and went back into packing up his music sheets before he sat on an empty chair not far away from where he was standing.

“W-What lie are you talking about?”

“I'm not a mind reader but I can feel when you are lying to me.” Xiumin whispered with a smile and gave Yoonmi the chills as well as goosebumps.

“Okay, I’m sorry…I did lie to you. It was actually…” Yoonmi tried to explain the exact things when Xiumin dragged her closer and directied her to sit next to him and hopedYoonmi would felt more comfortable to talk to him.

“Now, talk.”

“It was actually my sister, my twin sister. There’s a guy she likes but she’s not sure whether this guy also likes her as much as she does or not, so here I am…Trying to help her find out the truth behind that guy’s feeling. I just don’t want my sister to get hurt, I can clearly see it… She’s falling even deeper for that guy. I really hope that he’ll like her back, I don’t want to see her heart broken just because he doesn’t like her back…” Yoonmi eventually gave up.

“Hmm…I think I can relate on how your sister feels. It hurts when you have someone in your heart but can't have in your arms.”

“Sunbae, from the way you're talking… Have you ever involved in one-sided love before?” Thequestion slipped from unintentionalluy.

“Before? Let just say ‘now’. I loved her the way some people are to be loved; from a distance.” Xiumin replied; half joking as Yoonmi remained silent; having a strong feeling that the guy beside him must be having something more to pour out. “I drew her in my world; I write her in my lines, I want to be her man…But she was never meant as mine. I drew her in my world, she’s always in my mind; I drew her every line, but it hurts when she’s unkind. I drew her in my world, I drew her all the time…But I don’t know where to draw the line.” Xiumin sighed in silence; finally putting an end to his unexplained words.

“I’m sorry for asking, it must be hard for you.” She looked at him hesitantly and then bit her lower lip. His words burned in her heart like fire. Even though she didn’t fully understand his words, deep inside her heart, she knew she shouldn’t ask. It was his personal life afterall.

“So, you want me to come with you and help your sister and you to evaluate that guy… Just to know if he’s worth it, am I right?” He stood up; trying to change thesubject.

“Yes… Will you come with me? Men should know other men better than women, right?”

Xiumin slowly nodded and realised that there was no wrong in helping the twins. Plus, he was craving for a hot charamel macchiato on that snowy evening. Without waiting any longer, they both stepped out of the room and headed toward the café.

As they waited near the cafe, Yoonmi chuckled. It was the same cafe that Suho, Xiumin and herself met last time and the meeting wasn't that pleasant. However, it was still her favourite cafe since the place was cozy and the coffee was delicious. They entered  the cafe Yoonmi glanced around to find her sister while Xiumin silently stayed by her side with his eyes fixed to the cafe main counter; already deciding what to drink.

At a corner of the cafe, Yoonmi's eyes landed on two familiar silhouettes. They seemed to be engaged in a nice little chat. Yoonmi smiled as she figured out the female was Eunmi and the guy must be the one who’s Eunmi always talked about. It was a bit frustrating for Yoonmi when she couldn’t see the guy’s face as he’s sitting with his back facing her. Yoonmi turned her head toward the clueless Xiumin and as she was about to say something, Yoonmi was stopped in her tracks.

"Yoonmi-ah!" Eunmi’s voice was echoed all over the place; calling out her sister's name and waved to indicate her table from the corner the cafe.

“That must be your twin sister.” Xiumin said; slightly bending his body to match Yoonmi’s height while Yoonmi awkwardly nodded as reply.

Eunmi quickly stood up and was worried that Yoonmi couldn't hear or see her; leaving her company alone at their table. Finally standing right infront of Xiumin and Yoonmi, Eunmi gave Yoonmi a warm hug and secretly glanced at Xiumin who was beside her. Without wanting to waist any more time, Eunmi literally dragged her sister and Xiumin towards her table; getting extremely excited to introduce Yoonmi to her ‘special one’.

Yoonmi’s heart was about to explode as she finally introduced to her sister’s special guest for the meeting. It was actually him. Realizing what kind of unexpected situation they were facing at that moment, Xiumin remained calm as he tried to make Yoonmi feel the same by putting his hand on Yoonmi’s shoulder. Even though he could feel a burning hot glare from the guy sitting infront of him, Xiumin just acted as if he didn’t care at all.

“I thought you couldn’t make it, I’m so glad that you’re finally here, with your talented piano teacher! But Yoonmi-ah, are you okay? You look pale and sick...” Eunmi spoke, trying to brighten up the awkward atmosphere as she noticed Yoonmi’s expression was getting darker. She wondered if there’s anything upsetting about the meeting but the answer wouldn’t just easily come out.

Yoonmi’s eyes landed on the motionless guy sitting next to Eunmi; noticing his expression was also as dark as hers. Their eyes were locked intesely. Yoonmi knew he must be in a very shocked state too, as much as she was.

Yoonmi eyebrows were scrunched together, overhelming sadness sat in her eyes as she clenched her teeth together and forced herself to smile and put on a facade. Yoonmi’s eyes eventually back to her sister before her trembling voice was heard. 

“I-I’m fine, perfectly fine.”