017

The Frozen Heart

 

“Okay class, my explanation ends here, please take note and don’t forget that there will be a quiz the day after tomorrow. Our class for today will also end here, before dismissal please submit the assignment that I asked you to do a few days ago. That’s all, thank you.” With the stern command from their professor, all students in the class began to move forward one after another to submit their assignment before leaving the class.

Among the crowd, Hyejin was in a big uproar for not completing her assignment. Yoonmi always sat beside her in the class and was also for her. Not knowing exactly what to do and how to react, Hyejin desperately grabbed Yoonmi’s arm with pleading eyes and hoped that Yoonmi would help her overcome her soon-to-be-problem.

“Hyejin-ah…” Yoonmi whispered as her eyes were sneakily glanced toward her other classmates that were slowly leaving the class one after another after submitting their completed assignment.

“What to do, what to do, Yoonmi-ah…What do I do now? I haven’t completed my assignment yet. I’m a dead meat if our professor finds out about this! You know how fierce she is, don’t you?!”

“Uhm, well... She does look fierce, but I think if you explain why you haven’t complete your assignment to her nicely… She'd most likely understand. I’m going to submit my assignment first and after that I’ll be waiting for you outside of our class...” Yoonmi replied and tried to comfort Hyejin as she took out her assignment from her shoulder bag and got ready to submit it as instructed before she suddenly froze, Yoonmi’s eyes were back fixed on Hyejin who was pouting and frowning anxiously. “But... Hyejin-ah, what had happened to you? Why didn’t you complete your assignment yet?”

“Actually, I-uhm…Yoonmi-ah… That, er… You know, I  actually… I forgot to do it…” Hyejin finally answered with guilt. After she heard Hyejin’s answer, Yoonmi automatically shook her head; she had already expected that kind of answer from Hyejin mouth. It wasn't the first time that Hyejin forgot to complete her assignment, it was already the fourth time!

“I’m going, meet me at the class entrance once you’ve talked to our professor.” With that, Yoonmi swiftly moved forward to submit her assignment and she immediately went out of the class. As promised, she silently waited for her friend to come out of room, and only after waiting for 15 minutes, Hyejin finally came out. Seeing Hyejin, Yoonmi approached her; and wondered what their professor had said to her. Was Hyejin get scolded badly or did she actually manage to find a firm excuse for not completing her assignment?

“How is it? What did our professor say?” Yoonmi asked curiously.

“Thank god she gave me more time to complete it, and you’re right! She’s not that fierce… She’s pretty gentle and understanding, compared to how she looks. I guess I have to go to the library right away, will you accompany me Yoonmi-ah?”

“Unfortunately, I can’t. I’ve promised somebody and I need to meet him right after this. Sorry. Let’s just meet in our next class an hour from now.”

“Who are you going to meet? Xiumin sunbae?”

Yoonmi shook her head in response; not having any thought to explain any further on who she’s going to meet.

“You’re not gonna tell me, huh? Alright, alright… I’ll just go by myself. It’s my fault for not doing my task earlier…” Hyejin tried to act as though it was nothing to go to the library alone. But her happiness betrayed her. Her smile could not be restrained, and it spread from her tightly pressed mouth, to her round cheeks, almost to the hair ribbons tied in perky bows over her ears.

“Sorry.” Yoonmi said softly and fault slightly guilty towards Hyejin but then with cheerful tone, Hyejin just bid her goodbye before she left Yoonmi dumbfounded and headed straight to the library coolly. Yoonmi glanced at her watch; it was already 2.35 PM which meant she was already 5 minutes late for the meeting! Without waiting Yoonmi jogged towards the university's main gate and headed straight to the café nearby where she was supposed to be there five minutes ago. She entering the café and her eyes immediately caught a familiar figure sitting on a chair in the middle of the café with a cup of coffee in front of him.

“Yoonmi-ah, over here!” He waved excitedly which was accompanied by a wide smile as Yoonmi quickly walked toward him.

“S-Suho sshi, sorry… I’m late!” Yoonmi said as she took a seat right in front of him; slightly out of breath from running to the café earlier.

“Uh… 'Suho sshi'? I didn’t expect to hear that from you…” Suho replied, and pouted as he raised his eyebrows but Yoonmi couldn’t really understand what was Suho tried to say until she remembered something. Her hazel brown eyes widened automatically.

“Oh! I mean… Oppa?”

“Right! That’s it, you’re doing well!” Suho exclaimed as his fingers reached up to Yoonmi’s nose and pinched it slightly before he chuckled and gazed at Yoonmi who was touching her nose in a daze before a slight smile was formed on her reddened face. Yoonmi eventually lowered her gaze and recalled a text message that Suho sent her yesterday when she and Eunmi were having an ‘intense pillow fight’.

“Uhm… I’m sorry for being late and I don’t think I can stay for more than an hour here because I’ve got one more classes to attend later.”

“Never mind! I can’t stay longer either, I have to go to the orphanage later… Do you still remember the orphanage that I brought you to before?”

“Yes, I do…”

“Since I have to go there for another charity event that my clubis holding, I guess our meeting won’t last more than 40 minutes today…Even though I miss you so badly.” Suho whispered and grabbed Yoonmi’s stiff hand.

“Uh…” Yoonmi hesitated at his actions but she couldn’t deny her fluttering heart the moment Suho grabbed her hand either, so Yoonmi eventually loosened her stiff hand so that Suho wouldn’t noticed her anxiousness.

“Why? Don’t you miss me? You know, when you miss someone... It’s weird… Your body doesn’t function normally as it should. Because I miss you, my heart… It’s not steady. The best part of missing you is I recall every single moment spent with you. But the worst part is…It just makes me miss you even more… So badly.” Suho confessed, he wasn't normally childish and acted all cute and cheesy but whenever he was with Yoonmi, he just wanted to show his bright side, so that Yoonmi would be able to laugh contently. It was just that his childish personality slipped out from time to time as his heart was overflowing with love.

Silence. Their eyes were fixed on each other and Yoonmi could felt that Suho moved a few inches closer toward her until she could vividly feel his warm breath.

“Oppa…” Yoonmi finally opened to say something.

“Hmm?” Suho blinked, getting impatient with Yoonmi;s soon-to-be-answer. Who knows, Yoonmi might want to express her feeling for missing him just like he did and since Yoonmi was the kind of girl who doesn’t seem to like expressing her truth emotion, just imagining that Yoonmi might say that she’s actually missed him more than he did already made Suho grin from ear to ear.

“You’re being too mushy.” Yoonmi replied softly and hid her smile as Suho’s expression was changed 360 degrees into  disappointment as he didn't expect Yoonmi to say that to him. He sighed. His hand automatically let go of Yoonmi’s  before he backed off and looked away. He pretended to get mad and sulk at Yoonmi’s answer.

“I’m being too mushy… Seriously, mushy? Is that’s all you can say after I sincerely expressed my feelings about how I missed you when we haven’t met for two days already? Aren’t you supposed to say that you miss me too? Is that really hard to say that you miss me?” Suho laughed as he jokingly teased Yoonmi. He knew that it was too sudden for her to change that dramatically, and he would wait. Patiently.

“Uhm…”

“It's alright. I was just joking. I guess I haven't left enough impressive memories of us to make you yearn for more. From now on, I will just keep creating more memories of us so that you will eventually miss me.” Suho smiled brightly at Yoonmi as he dragged his chair closer to hers.

Yoonmi blinked, dumbfounded as she inhaled deeply. Suho was still looking at her sincerely and although he also wanted to hear her truthful answer, but Yoonmi remained silent.

‘I miss you too. Maybe not as much as you miss me but little do you know, the thought of you does linger in my heart sometimes... You changed my life more than I could have asked for…’ Yoonmi whispered, but only in her mind. She mentally scolded herself for not being bold and brave enough to express her feelings boldly, bravely, and naturally like Suho did.

“Yoonmi?” Suho called out her name softly; bringing Yoonmi back to reality and automatically stopping her inner monologue.

“Uh, ye-yes…actually I mi-…” She paused all of sudden be she continued. “Oh! Xiumin Sunbae?!” Yoonmi exclaimed when her eyes suddenly caught a familiar figure that came into the café. Suho tilted his head to the same direction as Yoonmi before he snorted; feeling displeased with Xiumin's sudden appearance. Xiumin was about to head straight toward the counter when he heard his name being called and noticed her presence. Xiumin ignored the deathly glare from Suho and walked toward Yoonmi who already stood up.

“Sunbae... You’re here too?” Yoonmi asked in a brighter tone as she threw a glance at Suho.

“Yeah, I was about to get an Americano before attending class. I didn’t know that I’d meet you here. Oh, we’ve got a piano class this evening… You didn’t forget about it, did you?”

“No, of course not! Would you like to join us?”

“Uh, Uhm…Yoonmi-ah, I think your sunbae is pretty busy so he wouldn’t be able to join us. Am I right, Xiumin sshi?” Suho interrupted, and forced himself to smile even though it looked completely bitter. Yoonmi glanced at Suho awkwardly before she looked back to Xiumin and waited for his answer.

“Ah, yes… I’ll be leaving first. We’ll meet again for the piano lesson later, alright?” 

Yoonmi nodded with a smile before she replied. “Okay.”

“Enjoy your… Date?” Xiumin nodded his head toward Suho and Yoonmi before he headed straight to the counter to get his drink before he left. When Xiumin was no longer in the cafe, Yoonmi then sat back down and gave all of her attention to Suho who didn’t even say a word since Xiumin was there.

“What is that guy doing here? Is he stalking you or something? Why did you ask him to join us though? You know that I want to spend my time with you and only you, right? So, I don’t see the need for him to join us.”

“Oppa… He was here to get his Americano, he said so earlier.”

“I mean, why here? At this café?”

“Didn't you notice that this café is the nearest café with my university and if you looked around, you might realize that most of the costumers here are from my university. Meeting him here is just purely a coincidence. You might meet him again in the future.”

“I hope not! Oh, and what was that all about?” Suho asked, staring into Yoonmi eyes with serious expression.

“Xiu-Xiumin Sunbae… You remember him, right? He’s the one who walked with me-”

“No, wait! I mean yes, I do remember him… What I really mean is that guy mentioned something about a piano lesson. What piano lesson? Did he teach you how to play piano? Personally? Just two of you? Seriously? Wah… Both of you are sure having a good relationship as senior and junior aren’t you?” Suho went on a little rampage as he couldn't control his jealousy, he was susually an understanding guy, but not when his blooming relationship was being threatened in his eyes.

“Yes. He’s quite skillful in playing piano… So I guess it would be okay if I took this opportunity to learn from him since I’m not that talented in musical instruments.” Yoonmi explained carefully. She could sense a sudden change in Suho’s expression. Was he upset at her? But why, she didn’t think she did anything wrong though.

“You can learn from me if you want.”

“Huh?”

“I said that you can learn how to play piano from me instead of having a private lessons from him. Frankly speaking, by thinking that just the two of you in a music room… Accompanied by the piano's melody... It doesn’t make me feel good at all. Your Xiumin Sunbae…there’s something about him that makes me felt uncomfortable whenever I see him. In short, why don’t you learn from me? Not only piano, I can also teach you how to play violin, guitar, the drums, keyboard...  Whatever it is, I’ll teach you whole-heartedly.” Suho muttered, and expressed his uneasy feelings without hesitating. He really felt that there something hidden in Xiumin's gaze but he couldn’t really decide if it was the positive one or not.

“Oppa...”

“You’re not going to listen to me, right? I knew it from your tone.”

“He’s a nice person, he really is and I can feel that. You might feel uncomfortable with him because you don't know him like I do.  I really hope that both of you can get along well.”

Suho didn't plan on answering Yoonmi and remained silent in his seat while he crossed his arms. In fact, he evaluated every single she said in his mind. He really couldn’t help but feel displeased and uncomfortable when Xiumin appeared. In Suho’s eyes, Xiumin really did leave a deep impression in Yoonmi's heart; he could see that whenever Yoonmi mentioned Xiumin’s name. Everything about Xiumin seemed to be perfectly flawless and Suho definitely hated that. From what he learned after reading Yoonmi’s personal note book, Yoonmi was that kind of girl who wouldn’t get impressed easily and it was proven when she completely ignored Suho when they met for the first time. Suho sighed silently, and got frustrated just by thinking about Xiumin.

“Since your club’s charity event is going to be held at that orphanage, you must be happy because you can meet Jihye, right?” Yoonmi said and tried to change the topic of their conversation.

“Jihye? Yeah, that’s one of the main reasons why the event is being held there. It’d be easier for me to meet her, last time I met her was on Christmas… Next time, will you come with me and meet her?”

“I’d love to; hearing her story from you made me reflect about myself. If only you could have witnessed how much I have changed. Thank you, Oppa… For opening my heart.”

“I’m so glad being the one who managed to open your heart, who managed to get closer to you and managed to steal your heart-”

“Are you going to be mushy again, Oppa?” Yoonmi interrupted with a smile and enjoyed teasing Suho who pouted.

“Seriously, why can’t you just let me… But... Yoonmi-ah, can I ask something?”

Yoonmi nodded slightly and hinted at  him to go on with his question.

“How do you bear it? Living with that accident without being able to forget what the tragedy was?" Suho looked at her in disbelief.

"I don't. Obviously, I don't. I drag myself out of nightmares each morning and find there's no relief in waking up. I can't eat and I can't sleep. I'm not doing well in terms of being a functional human, you know? I try to express myself, but couldn't do that because I was afraid that it will hurt someone. I never knew that not expressing myself would hurt me. Memories, even the most precious ones, faded surprisingly quick. But I don’t go along with that. The memories I have, I don’t ever see them fading.” Yoonmi replied. She used to be bright, like a star in the sky. But then, after the tragedy… She had faded, and was barely alive. When she lay in bed, the sun arrives, but in her head, nothing shines…

 His thumb her cheek; showing her his sweetest and gentlest smile ever, only for her before he commented. "Your memory is a monster; you forget, it doesn't. It simply files things away. It keeps things for you, or hides things from you… And summons them to your recall with will of its own. You think you have a memory; but it has you! I would never let you going through all those bloody memories all alone... I’ll be here, whenever you need me. I’ll be always here, for you."

“Thank you, thank you for waking me up and opening my eyes to see the world in a different dimension, everything changes in my life, even though the world stays the same. Thank you for making me realized that it is important to forgive ourselves for making mistakes.”

“Sometimes, however much you plan, however many precautions you take, something happens, and in a minute the world is changed. After that, you’re the person on the other side of that minute. Being happy takes effort; invest time and energy in yourself and your happiness. You are the magic code that unlocks your happiness. Accept yourself; flaws, quirks, talents, secret thoughts, all of it, and experience true liberation. Even in winter, the cold isn't always bitter, and not every day is cruel.”

“I should’ve realized this when my twin keep asking me to move on… To forget… To start a new life and accept the fact that scars are just another kind of memory.”

“A twin? You have a twin and you’re doing this for her?” Yoonmi nodded at Suho’s question. Later, Suho found a more shocking fact from Yoonmi; he was actually going to the same university with Yoonmi’s twin. Suho furrowed his eyebrows and tried to remember if he had met someone who looked like Yoonmi at his university but he barely remember anyone and that made Suho wondered who’s her actual twin is.

“Yes, she’s the only sister that I have… I’ll do anything for her as long as I can see her smile. She’s the reason why I’m still alive… She’s the reason why I still exist in this world. ”

“I don’t know why… But I really hope that you’d be selfish for even once and think about yourself and your own happiness rather than torturing you mind and soul with those displeasure memories and quilts. I’m sure that, your twin also wants to see you enjoy your life as much as she does… Whenever you’re ready to talk about your past, about what had happened exactly, I just want you to know that I’m always ready to be a faithful listener… But your twin? I never saw anybody who looked exactly like you in my university…”

 “You’ll meet her soon. Very soon…” Yoonmi said softlywhich made Suho more confused and curious about her twin.

‘Or you might have actually met her already.’ Yoonmi added but those words only remained in her mind. Suho couldn’t really resist his curiosity and eventually shot another question, hoping  that all of his questions could be answered.

“Will you tell me her name?”