021

The Frozen Heart

 

A heavy silence settled over them and was thicker than the uneasy tension in the atmosphere. The silence that surrounded the atmosphere made Eunmi’s blood as cold as the winter air. None of them seemed to have any thoughts in answering her. Was it too hard to answer her simple question? Suho’s eyes fixed on Yoonmi. Realizing his questionable gaze, Eunmi turned her head over; facing the motionless Yoonmi.

“Yoonmi-ah.”

Yoonmi’s mouth was almost too dry to speak. She could feel the perspiration on her back, soaking darkly into her clothes which announced her nervousness. Her heart twisted and sunk with nerves, there were times she felt like the world was slowly disappearing in front of her…There were no words that could describe how she wished that she could dissapear. Yoonmi hesitantly nodded like an idiot and then croaked out. “Y-yes, Eunmi?”

“I’m still waiting for an answer.” Eunmi furrowed her eyebrows with a straight face and closely examined Yoonmi’s uneasy expression.

“Ac-Actually we-”

“Here, let me answer that instead. It seems like you’re having a hard time to answer your sister, Jung Yoonmi.” Suho interrupted with a stern expression before he turned to Eunmi. Yoonmi’s mouth was left agape with Suho’s interruption.

In a state of Panic, Yoonmi then secretly hld Xiumin’s arm under the table; desperately asking him to help her out with the situation but Xiumin remained silent. Xiumin didn’t have any thoughts on interfering into this unavoidable situation even more. He shook his head gently, and hoped that Yoonmi wouldn’t drag him into this matter any further. He hoped that Yoonmi would just tell Eunmi the truth instead of keeping the truth away from her twin sister, even though if it means one of them would get hurt.

Understanding what Xiumin tried to say through his body language, Yoonmi eventually pulled off her shaky hand away from his arm broodingly. She needed to do something, she really needed to! Of course, she didn’t want Eunmi to know what was going on between Suho and herself. He was someone that Eunmi has feelings for, how could she tell Eunmi that she’s actually in love with her twin sister’s boyfriend? How Eunmi would feel if she knew that? Heartbroken; that’s for sure! And no, she wasn't ready to see her sister be awfully broken because of the truth. But, Suho doesn’t seem to think the same as her. What wass she supposed to do now?!

“Jung Yoonmi and I, Kim Suho… We’re actually-” Suho exhaled and tried to stay composed even though he was in a state of glowering state since Yoonmi didn’t want Eunmi to know that they were actually lovers.

“We’re actually a close senior and junior!” Yoonmi suddenly said. Suho, Xiumin and Eunmi eyes moved towards Yoonmi at the same time. Eunmi blinked and wondered if she heard right. A close junior and senior? But how? They weren’t even studying at the same university.

“Err… I think I need more of an explanation about that.” Eunmi was slack-jawed with her statement while Yoonmi felt a bit calm and hopeful inside thinking that Eunmi actually believed what she just said even though her excuse was just too weak to make Eunmi completely trust her. Suho snorted as he looked away, feeling extremely annoyed with Yoonmi’s lies.

“Yo-You know, Xiumin Sunbae and I met Suho-sshi before at a bookstore that I used to go and we became close when we got to know that we’re actually sharing the same interest in books genres… Ri-Right S-Suho sshi?” Yoonmi stammered and looked at Suho with pleading eyes but the guy infront of her still refused to look at her and choose to look away while Xiumin chuckled at the inscrutable truth; making the intense atmosphere worse.

“Ahh… Re-Really?” Eunmi exclaimed blissfully. She felt slightly revived with Yoonmi’s simple yet doubtful explanation. Even thought she didn't really trust whatYoonmi, as for now, pretending to trust Yoonmi was the best she could do. But later, she would be sure to find out the truth. If it was that simple, why did Yoonmi  look unexceptionally uneasy that she even broke into cold sweat. Yes, Eunmi noticed that. In fact, she noticed everything; Yoonmi’s despondent expression, Xiumin’s meaningful yet sarcastic smile and Suho’s dejected and disappointed expression. Things wouldn’t be that simple and Eunmi was hundred percent sure, that there was more to it As for now, Eunmi really hope that everything that Yoonmi said today was the truth. Yoonmi wouldn’t lie to her if she really loved her, would she?

“S-Suho sshi…” Yoonmi called out his name as Suho finally looked at her. His lips then formed a bitter smile which was accompanied by a single nod.

“Yes, we are.” Suho answered hopelessly. He then looked down, leaving Yoonmi to explain everything to Eunmi.

“You should’ve told me earlier, Yoonmi-ah! I thought you were lovers or what, gosh!” Eunmi giggled as she gently patted Yoonmi’s arm but it was just plain awkward.

“So, next time… Would you mind to recommend more interesting reading materials to Yoonmi and I? Kim Suho sshi?” Xiumin suddenly spoke; trying to help Yoonmi with her lies and so that it would look more realistic for Eunmi to trust.  

“Sure.” Suho smirked wryly.

“Can’t wait.” Xiumin added, faking a smile as well as his excitement.

“I wonder if your twin sister ever mention about me in front of you, Eunmi?” Suho glanced at Eunmi and Yoonmi who were just staring back at Xiumin and him with vacant stares. Yoonmi gulped her salivas, anxiously waiting for Eunmi’s answer while Eunmi remained calm and composed.

“No, never heard of you from her. I never thought she would know any other men except her male classmates and her boyfriend. Ah, and also Xiumin sunbae.” Eunmi answered, once again emphasizing the word ‘boyfriend.’ Suho really did seem to admire her sister in Eunmi eyes and she doubted if they were just friends. His stare expressed something else, something more than a friend.

“Boyfriend?” Suho raised his eyebrows. Well, at least Yoonmi did mention about him even though his identity still remained as anonymous.

“Yup, a boyfriend. But it’s quite frustrating because she never tells me more about her boyfriend. I don’t even know his name, she only mentions about how romantic, gentleman and kind he is. Yoonmi-ah, when are you going to introduce him to me?” Eunmi was peeved with the fact that Yoonmi hasn’t introduced her special one till that day.

“Er…” Yoonmi blinked her eyes, dumbfounded.

“You will meet him, very soon. Don’t worry.” Suho replied instead as Eunmi nodded.

“One more thing!” Eunmi chirped radiantly and snapped her fingers a few times.

“Why? Do you have any other interesting stories to share?” Yoonmi asked as she was uneasy with what Eunmi was going to say. Please, let it be something exciting instead of talking about her ‘anonymous boyfriend’ any further.

“Umm... No... Not really, I mean not that interesting though. It’s just... Err... Xiumin sunbae, may I ask you something personal?”

“Yeah, sure.”

“Uhmm... Do you have a girlfriend?” Eunmi finally asked without hesitating.

“Eun-Eunmi-ah!” Yoonmi could sense sudden changes in Xiumin’s expression.

“Uh… No, I don’t.” Xiumin answered and scratched the back of his head awkwardly.

“Ahh… I knew it.” Eunmi exclaimed and clapped her hands excitedly.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Suho bit his lower lip. Was Eunmi having feelings toward Xiumin already? If he was right, that would definitely be good thing!

“What? Suho Sunbae... It can’t be… Jealousy, is it? You’re jealous of Xiumin Sunbae, aren't you?” Eunmi chuckled with blooming feelings. If Suho really got jealous, it meant he did have a feeling toward her but he just kept it secret. 

“Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I’m crushing on you or what. I was just wondering that if Yoonmi still didn’t have a boyfriend, she would end up with you. Now, let me tell you a secret, a top secret!”

“Eunmi-ah, stop it…” Yoonmi got up and tried to cover Eunmi’s mouth with her palm, no matter what kind of top secret it was, Eunmi needed to stop it.

“Calm down Jung Yoonmi, lets hear what Eunmi is going to share. I bet it must be interesting for us to know by just looking at how eager you are at stopping your sister. Eunmi-sshi, I’m still waiting for the top secret to be revealed.” Xiumin gently pulled Yoonmi’s hand so that she would get back to her seat. Suho could only watch his act without being able to stop Xiumin’s hand. He sighed in silence. He was extremely frustrated with the situation.

“Ah… Yoonmi-ah, your hand smells like a strawberry cupcake! I told you to stop using the strawberry flavors hand cream, right?” Eunmi said randomly. She could still smell the strawberry aroma lingering around her nose.

“We-Well, it smells good though!” Yoonmi retorted, and pouted she looked down.

“I love strawberries too. How cute!” Xiumin whispered into Yoonmi’s ears and ignored Suho’s burning glare and made the girl beside him blush shyly.

“Aish, where am I just now? Oh, right… The top secret! You know what, even though Yoonmi already has a boyfriend, she mentioned you more than that guy! She even refused to let me know her boyfriend’s name. But you, she just tells me everything. Since I’ve met you, I now realize how charming you are. What's your ideal type, Sunbae? Does it match Yoonmi?”

“Eunmi-ah… You really shouldn’t say that.” That’s it; here came another trouble. Yoonmi tried to not to look in Suho’s direction even though she knew he was staring at her at that moment. Even though what Eunmi said was just plain true, she didn’t expect her sister to say it all in front of Xiumin and Suho.

“Why? It’s not like your boyfriend is here though. Don’t worry; he’ll never know unless you’re the one who tell him about this. Wait, you aren’t going to tell him this… Are you?” Eunmi’s mood changed from excitement to panicked in a few seconds.

“No, I won’t.” Yoonmi answered helplessly.

“To be honest, your boyfriend must be feeling extremely hurt if he know his girl talked about other guy more than him. I’m a guy; I know mens’ feelings better.” Suho suddenly interrupted, his words were like a bullet that shot right into her heart and killed her softly. Yoonmi couldn’t even say anything to defend herself. She knew she was at fault. She lowered her head guiltily and sealed her lips from saying another word.

She knew Suho was actually talking about his own feelings and thoughts. He was disappointed with her. Not only her lies, but also the factss that she often talked about Xiumin rather than him. His disappointment toward her must have multipled due to Eunmi revealing that so-called-top-secret. Yoonmi thought she could make Suho and Xiumin become closer with each other even though she was already aware about how much Suho disliked Xiumin, but it seemed impossible now and Yoonmi was pretty sure that Suho hated Xiumin and probably herself, even more.

“Well, I think if Yoonmi really loves her boyfriend... It shouldn’t be any problem with her talking about me. I’m her piano teacher after all. Talking about some other guy doesn’t mean she’s not in love with her boyfriend. Same goes with boys, we do talk about other girls but it doesn’t mean we’re cheating on our lovers. Talking is talking and love is love, there’s a big difference. Am I right, Suho sshi?” Xiumin snapped and waited for Suho’s agreement but that guy chose to ignore him rather than reply.

“Have you met him before, Xiumin Sunbae?” Eunmi was curious, her eyes widened as she anticipated his answer.

“Yes! Twice, I guess.” Xiumin nodded quietly and tried to look more trustworthy in Eunmi’s eyes. Yoonmi gulped on her saliva nervously as she took quick glances at Suho and Xiumin.

“Ahh… Even you have met that guy. Yoonmi-ah…” Eunmi suddenly grabbed Yoonmi’s arm, shooting her deadly aegyo so that Yoonmi would consider arranging a meeting with Yoonmi’s boyfriend. She really wanted to get to know her fraternal twin’s boyfriend, it’s not like she would steal him away though. Wondering why it was too hard for Yoonmi to introduce her boyfriend, Eunmi slowly raised her right eyebrow. Her aegyo! Maybe Yoonmi would change her mind if she shoots her undeniably charming aegyo!

Yoonmi noticed what her twin was trying to do and she quickly cleared up her dry throat. “No, Eunmi. Not now, I can’t introduce him… Yet.” Yoonmi interrupted which made Eunmi pout.

“I’m sorry, I’m not trying to be rude here but I can’t catch up with this ‘heart warming’ conversation anymore. Eunmi-ah, I think it’s already time for us to leave. Even though our club meeting has ended, we still have other things to settle at our university, don't we?” Suho said as he couldn’t stand to be with them anymore especially with Yoonmi’s act and Xiumin’s sarcasm. He didn’t see the need for him to be there anymore. He already had enough with the façade.

“Er… Sh-Shall we, then?” Eunmi was flustered and she kept thinking if there was anything left for her to do at the university but she couldn’t find any. Her schedule for that day had finished long ago when the club meeting was ended, but Suho? She wasn’t sure about that. Wasn’t he supposed to be free as well? She didn’t feel like leaving yet but Suho’s gloomy expression made her change her mind.

“You’re leaving already?” Yoonmi asked and pretended to be heavy hearted to separate with Eunmi and Suho while in reality, she really wanted to end the meeting from the moment she stepped into the café and noticed that Suho was the guy Eunmi used to talk about. Eunmi nodded in reponse as Suho already stood up and getting ready to leave the scene.

“I enjoyed this meeting. Next time, maybe we can meet again. Like this.” Eunmi said as she smiled but Suho didn’t say anything, and he didn’t need to. One look in his eyes already told Yoonmi everything the moment his eyes were etched on her. She could see such a sorrow, brooding, chagrined, dejected and doleful look in his eyes as clearly as if he was speaking his thoughts and emotions aloud. Guilt laid like a rock in her heart. Like a lump in . Not being able to look into his eyes anymore, Yoonmi eventually looked away.

After they bid goodbye, Yoonmi and Xiumin were finally left alone at the table. Even until the end, Suho didn’t even spare a glance or a smile toward Yoonmi. Yoonmi’s glittery eyes were fixed to Suho and Eunmi’s sillhouttes that slowly faded away from the café area. Only after the duo were completely gone, Yoonmi eventually dropped her head and looked down to the café’s concrete floor. She sighed heavily without realizing Xiumin was staring at her from the moment Suho and Eunmi left.

“Feeling wronged?” Xiumin spoke, still fixing his eyes to Yoonmi.

“Extremely wronged.” She answered helplessly, finally looking up. The emply seat left by Suho awhile ago Yoonmi stared blankly. She could still feel the intense glare that Suho gave her when she blurted out those lies.  His deadly stares that she never saw before… It lingered in her mind and refused to go away no matter how many time she tried. Guilty? She definitely was.

“So, do you still need my opinion regarding this guy that your sister admires? Also known as your own boyfriend?” Xiumin asked, half teasing and half serious but all he got was a heavy sigh in response. Xiumin bit his lower lip and felt a bit wrong for asking such question in this situation. Even though he didn’t know why Yoonmi chose to lie instead of telling her sister and Suho the truth, he just blindly followed his instincts and helped her with the lies. He knew that Yoonmi must be have her own reasons. At least, he hoped she did.

“My sister, Jung Eunmi is actually in love with Kim Suho… The one that I started to fall in love with.” Yoonmi said quietly.

“What are you going to do now?”

“I don’t know…”

“But you’ve lied to her already.”

“And you helped me with that, Xiumin Sunbae…”

Xiumin froze at his seat as he slowly nodded and examined the meaning behind her words. He helped her with that and he wondered if she was thankful or if she wanted him to stay away from interfering this complicated conflict? When Yoonmi noticed his troubled expression, she continued.

“I was extremely thankful, thank you for helping me out.” She smiled bitterly, as if she could read what Xiumin was thinking.

“Do you think Eunmi will get upset with me if she finds out the truth?” Yoonmi added and looked towards Xiumin anxiously.

“I’m not sure about that. Most probably, yes but not because of the lies… It would be because she’s disappointed with you for not being honest with her at the first place.”

“Am I that disappointing, Sunbae?” She looked extremely cheerless with her expression getting darker in his eyes.

“Jung Yoonmi.” Xiumin ignored her question and whispered her name. 

“I- Yes?”

Yoonmi could sense that something was wrong with Xiumin’s words. Yoonmi bit her lower lip and her eyes danced to every corner of the café. It soon became too much; she started pacing rapidly, her breathing and heartbeat began to speed and filled her ears with white noise. She found herself bitting her nails, but forced herself to keep her hand to come  down from .  She clenched her fist to stop them from trembling and a cold sweat had broken out between her shoulder blades. She was nervous, beyond nervous, if that were possible.

“You’re not planning to break up with Suho and hand him over to your sister just because you love Eunmi and she loves Suho, are you?”