Three

0.1

 

Hyoyeon reached her classroom just in time before the bell rings and quickly went to her seat. The first lesson was Biology and she saw her tablemate, Sooyoung was looking under the table. Hyoyeon went over to her and looked at what she was doing.

 

“Hey Soo, what are you doing?” Hyoyeon asks as she put down her green backpack.

“OMO! You scared me! I thought it was the teacher.” Sooyoung got shocked a little but back to her normal self and took the slice of chocolate cake from under the table.

“Woah, how did you get a cake?” Sooyoung offered Hyoyeon a slice but she rejected since she ate her breakfast already.

“I bought it since the café was opened earlier this morning and I had a hard time convincing the auntie to sell me the whole cake.” Sooyoung said without looking at Hyoyeon.

“Wow. Aren’t you afraid that the teacher will scold me?” Hyoyeon starts to pull out the study materials from her bag.

Sooyoung ate the last mouth of the slice of cake and looked at Hyoyeon, “I am. This is the...4th time I brought a cake to class.”

“Hm? Then you’re still afraid?” Hyoyeon raised one of her eyebrow.

“Psh. You don’t know, this teacher is really a shikshin like me!! The first time she saw me eating a cake, she pretend to confiscate it and said will return me later but when we’re doing our own studying, she took it and ate it all by herself! Heol. I was so angry with her.” Sooyoung showed her angry face and pouted.

“Then the second time?” Hyoyeon asked.

“The second and third time, she promise she will return me if I do all the questions she gave correctly but she still ate it all on her own again!!! She went all dramatic and said she didn’t eat breakfast is all because of us, and that she care for us, wants the best for us so she came to class earlier to prepare. Oh please, she even came in late that day!! And she said she was hungry and if she doesn’t eat my cake, she’ll faint and in the end it’ll be our loss for missing a day of lesson.” Sooyoung took out another slice of cake.

 

Hyoyeon only found their Biology teacher interesting. It’s hard to find such an interesting teacher in university anyway. Since this is the second time Hyoyeon’s having this lesson, she’s looking forward because she has an interesting teacher and tablemate.

 

Their teacher finally came in and she was 15 minutes late. Sooyoung quickly took this chance and tease the teacher, “MISS JEA!! You have tomato sauce on your side lips!” Hyoyeon laughed and hit Sooyoung’s arm, telling her to stop teasing when there is actually nothing on her side lips.

 

“Yah, you little brat let me spank you properly!” Ms Jea chased Sooyoung all around the class and finally decided to stop since both of them aren’t that athletic.

 

The rest of the lesson was boring but luckily there’s Sooyoung whom made Hyoyeon laugh in her own ways. The both of them weren’t actually listening to the lesson but was playing on their own. Sooyoung would secretly take food out from her bag and then Hyoyeon would keep a lookout for Ms Jea for her.

 

 

 

 

 

School ended..

 

 

 

 

Hyoyeon, Sunny and Taeyeon were walking together since their classes ended at the same time. And the pabo still didn’t notice that she didn’t bring her keys along with her when she went out this morning.

 

“Where’s Yuri?” Hyoyeon asks.

“On a date with Tao. Anyway Hyo, we’ll be heading to the library, wanna join?” Taeyeon said as they stopped at their spots.

“Nope. I don’t like the smell of the library. Makes me wanna sleep haha. You guys can go.” Hyoyeon said and reassured them that she’ll go back to her dorm safely.

“Okay, call me when you get back.” Taeyeon said and the both of them bid goodbye to Hyoyeon. The blonde girl then slowly walks back to her dorm.

 

Hyoyeon is now standing in front of the doorstep and almost empty her whole bag to search for the keys but she found none. She knocked on her own forehead, finally noticed she forgot to bring keys out this morning because she ran out of the dorm.

 

“Damn... Sunny and Tae is at the library.. Yuri’s on a date with Tao, not really good to interrupt them. And I don’t have Kai’s number. I can’t call oppa because he’ll nag me for the whole afternoon. I guess the only solution is to sit here and wait then…Kim Hyoyeon your life so badly.” Hyoyeon talked to herself and sat down and leaned against the wall.

 

 

 

 

 

6pm...

 

 

 

Kai’s POV

 

 

 

What a tiring day. I just finished the basketball match against YG University and they really have good players. Anyway, our school won! Not trying to brag but I got most of the shots in. Chanyeol and I are walking to our lockers to get our bags and then we went to the toilet to wash ourselves.

 

Ugh, that monkey is forever so slow. “CHANMONKEYYEOL ARE YOU DONE YET?” I asked him, I wanna go back to my dorm and rest already. “ALMOST!!” He replied and so I sat on the bench in front of his cubicle.

 

“Woah, do you need to glare at me like this?” Chanyeol asked. This stupid monkey.

“Hurry up before I pull your ears!” I threatened and he hurried up.

 

We were walking along the corridor towards the school gates, the way to our dorm. The skies were dark and it looks like it’s going to rain soon.

We walked passed a bunch of girls, oh I could recognise one of them, and her name’s called Minyoung. She and her friends were talking while walking and I could hear Min said something about a blonde haired girl.

 

“Yah Fei, should we report to Ms Sunhwa that the blonde girl sitting outside the dorm? I could hear her sob and she looked very scared.” She said and I thought of Paboyeon immediately. Ms Sunhwa is the one in doing admin works in the General Office.

“Erm, Minyoung, did you just said a blonde girl sitting outside a dorm room?” I asked politely.

“Yeah. It’s on level 3. I guess she’s scared of dark, she’s trembling and looked really scared.” Minyoung said and I was shocked that it’s on the same level as my dorm. As far as I remember, there’s only a blonde girl living at level 3 and that’s Paboyeon.

 

I thanked Minyoung and told Chanyeol that I’ll go back first since we stay at different levels. I ran as far as my legs could bring me. I didn’t know why I ran so fast when I heard that news. Was I worried about her as Paboyeon or just worried about my roommate? I’m afraid that something might happen to that girl.

 

Is it because I’m used to helping her that’s why whenever I saw she’s in trouble, I would naturally go over and help or... I like her? Kim Jongin! That’s not the main point now! You gotta see how Paboyeon is doing in case something happens to her.

 

Finally, I’ve reached the corridor to our dorms, I saw a blonde girl hugging her knees tightly and her body was shivering. It started raining outside and thunder sounds could be heard. I ran over to her and hugged her immediately without thinking much.

 

 

End of Kai’s POV

 

 

 

“Oppa...Where are you? Hyo is really scared...” Hyoyeon cried and she was shivering badly.

 

Hyoyeon was always afraid of thunderstorms and darkness, ever since she was young. It’s like she’s been traumatized by it. So whenever there’s thunderstorms, Kris would always hug Hyoyeon till she falls asleep or just simply hug her and brush her hair to make her calm down.  But now she’s all alone.

 

“I’m here; you don’t have to be scared.” Kai hugged Hyoyeon tightly and brushed her hair softly. Kai felt relieved that Hyoyeon’s not sobbing that much anymore.

“Oppa!” Hyoyeon mistook Kai as Kris and jumped onto him and hugged him tightly like a little girl. Kai only smiled at the girl.

“Don’t worry, I’ll protect you.” Kai whispered into Hyoyeon’s ears to calm her down.

 

When Hyoyeon noticed she was actually hugging Kai instead of Kris, she broke the hug and wiped her tears.

 

“I—I’m sorry..” Hyoyeon said while sobbing.

“It’s okay. Why are you sitting here?” Kai asked while taking out the keys from his pocket.

“I forgot to bring my keys and had been here since 2pm...” Hyoyeon bowed a little when Kai let her into the room first.

“You are really not called Paboyeon for nothing. Tomorrow I’ll go make a copy of the keys and put it under the doormat. Go put your keys in your bag now so that you won’t forget.” Kai smiled sweetly and Hyoyeon’s face was as red as a tomato now.

Is she blushing? That’s cute.

“Thank you... and sorry for causing you troubles again.” Hyoyeon pouted as she felt apologetic.

“I know you didn’t do it on purpose. Don’t worry about it.” Kai rubbed the back of his neck and smiled.

 

Kai was cooking up some food for Hyoyeon because she’s hungry. She denied that she isn’t hungry at first but her stomach betrayed her. When Hyoyeon was going to take a shower, her phone rung and it was her best friend Taeyeonie.

 

“hyo! I heard Min said you sat outside your dorm just now. What happened?”

“Ah.. I just forgot to bring my keys so I waited for Kai to come back.”

“Pabo. Why don’t you call me? I can go back and let you into my dorm first. You must have been scared..The thunder sounds were pretty loud just now. Are you okay?”

“I’m fine, don’t worry Taeyeonie. Kai came back just in time.”

“Hm. After I’ve analysed.. when you’re scared, Kris oppa would hug you tightly and brush your hair. THAT MEANS KAI DID THE SAME TOO?!”

“Yes yes Taeyeonie. I’m going to shower now, talk to you tomorrow. Bye.”

“OMG SUNNY KAI HUGGED HYOYEON—”

 

And the line went dead. Hyoyeon just laughed at her best friend. She looked over to the direction of the kitchen and saw Kai wearing an apron, his left hand holding the handle of the frying pan and his right hand holding the spatula. She smiled at that sight, how Kai is paying attention to the food which was on the frying pan closely, without even breaking his attention.

 

Hyoyeon could feel blood rushing to her cheeks again so she quickly shakes off those thoughts and went to the toilet to shower.

 

When Hyoyeon came out from the toilet, she saw Kai with his headphones on, sitting at the small dining table with the food he cooked just now, there was broccoli, scrambled eggs and fried fish. She went and sits infront of Kai and signalled him to take down his headphones.

 

“Oh you’re done? I’ll go get the rice.” Kai wanted to stand up but got stopped by Hyoyeon.

“It’s okay, I’ll go get it. Although I’m a pabo but I still know simple things like this.” She smiled and went to get rice for the both of them.

“Erm... I cooked extra, you don’t mind if I eat with you right?” Kai didn’t look at Hyoyeon because he was feeling so shy.

“Y—yeah, I mean—of course, it’s better than eating alone.” Hyoyeon took a piece of scrambled egg and put it on Kai’s plate.

“Well, it’s gonna be a week soon and we haven’t got any chance to properly introduce ourselves. I’ll start first.” Kai said and Hyoyeon nodded. He put down his fork and spoon.

“I’m Kim Jong In but I go with Kai, as you can see. I took the Fine Art degree and my CCA is Basketball. I was born in Seoul and of course grew up in Seoul. My hobby is just to sit on the single couch and listen to musics.” Kai did a thorough introduction of himself.

“My name is Kim Hyoyeon. I took the Biomedical Sciences Degree and I don’t take any CCAs. I was born in Incheon, South Korea but I moved to America with my family when I was 8 and stayed there until just a week ago when I decided to come back here to study. Erm... I don’t know a lot of things because my family always treats me like a princess and I only got to learn how to tie my shoelaces at the age of 15 but I really want to be independent!” The talkative girl can’t stop talking once she started and Kai just laughed at her.

“Actually... You don’t look cold at all. Only when I first saw you. But now I find that you’re a heartwarming and kind person!” Hyoyeon continue to eat, Kai was blushing after hearing her comment.

“You’re a pabo since I met you.” Kai joked and got hit on his hand.

 

They both chatted over an hour while eating their dinner and grew closer without themselves noticing. They are much more comfortable with each other now and they can talk about everything and anything. From when they first met, what was Kai’s impression on Hyoyeon and vice versa and to many things like what’s their favourite food, favourite color etc.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The next day...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Spit it out!” Taeyeon sat beside Hyoyeon at the café, still there was time till their first class.

“W—what?” Hyoyeon looked at Taeyeon and then at Yuri.

“What did you and Kai did yesterday at your dorm?!” Yuri looked at her sternly.

“Yah, we did nothing okay! Why are you girls so weird today?” Hyoyeon pretended like nothing happened and looked away from them.

“Kai hugged you and even brushed your hair yesterday... Did you guys kissed?!” Taeyeon’s turn to ask.

“NO, NO!!! He did that to make calm me down, what were you thinking?! Okay okay. I’ll say, I’ll say.” Hyoyeon finally admitted defeat to her best friends.

“Say!” Yuri said and the both of them sat in front of Hyoyeon to listen to her better.

“When we went into the room, after I was calmed, he asked if I was hungry and I said no but my stomach starts to make noises. So he went to cook up dinner for the both of us. We chatted and got to know each other better during dinner that’s all.” Hyoyeon explained everything to them but they’re still suspicious over what she said.

“Hm. That’s always the first step to a relationship!” As soon as Yuri said ‘relationship’, Hyoyeon couldn’t help but blush while she thought of having a relationship with Kai. She mentally slapped herself for thinking like this. They just became closer friends and nothing else.

“You like him don’t you?” Taeyeon smirked and Hyoyeon slapped her arm.

“Rubbish! Why would I like him? We’re just dorm mates and close friends that’s all!”

“According to my breakdown, among the 3 guys there excluding Tao... Kai is the closest to your ideal type.” Yuri looked over to Kai, Tao, Xiumin and Chanyeol’s table which was opposite theirs.

“I already told you I don’t like him!!!” Hyoyeon held her head and massaged her temples while Taeyeon and Yuri only laughed at her, totally not buying the story that Hyoyeon doesn’t like Kai.

 

 

Over at Kai and his friends’ table, they were talking about their normal topics and of course it was about girls. What do you think the four guys together in at a table would talk about? Girls of course.

 

While they were talking, only Kai wasn’t interested. This is the first time Kai is not interested in the topic ‘Girls’ when normally he would talk a lot about girls in their school. Like which girl is trying to get who’s attention all and all. After yesterday's dinner with her, Hyoyeon had been on his mind for a few hours now. He shook off the thoughts that told him maybe he fell in love with Hyoyeon.

 

Since he is sitting at the direction to Hyoyeon’s table, Kai would always drift off from their topics and secretly look at Hyoyeon. She was facing to his direction so Kai can see her face clearly.  When she laughs, her eyes turn into crescent moon shapes, which Kai loves a lot. He like girls with pretty and cute eyesmiles.

 

After observing Hyoyeon for awhile, the bell rang and it broke off his train of thoughts.

 

“Kai, let’s go! What are you thinking about? You’re so quiet today.” Xiumin smack his head and Kai glared at him and grabbed his head in one hand.

“None of your business baozi.” Xiumin struggled to get Kai’s hand off his head and finally Kai let him off. Kai laughed at his short friend.

 

 

The rest of the day, Kai wasn’t listening in class at all. Even though he wants to, his mind wouldn’t let him. He kept thinking of Hyoyeon and even told himself that Hyoyeon isn’t his crush, he just admire her and that she is quite interesting. He then talk to Tao for the whole lesson to distract himself because for now he can’t be alone, when he’s alone, his mind would drift off and eventually think about Hyoyeon again.


Let me know how you think of this story so far ;)

see u soooOooooooOOoon