Chapter 9

Don't Love Me

The new school year starts.

 

I am dreading to see if Kai and I have any classes together.

 

Sadly, Luna, Amber, and Krystal only have 3 classes with me, and Victoria and Sulli have completely different schedules than mine. Which means I’ll only get to see them at lunch and after school.

 

When I walk into my first period, Advanced Economics, I am greeted by silence and uncomfortable stares. I expected that. It’s not like anyone other than my friends likes me, because of how Kai treats me. Sighing, I take a seat and pull out my textbook.

 

10 minutes into the period, the door to the classroom flies open. Kai walks in, a tall, beautiful girl hanging onto his arm. “Don’t count us tardy,” he calls to Mr. Han, my Economics teacher, who clenches his jaw. It’s not like Mr. Han can do anything but listen to Kai. Knowing Kai, he would absolutely act on his threats of referring Mr. Han to the school board.

 

“Oppaaa, let’s sit near the back of the classroom,” the girl moans in his ear. “It’ll be... private.” She giggles.

 

Oh Yuna. Daughter of the CEO of Jaehwa International, one of the biggest airline providers in the world. Rumored to be carrying more money in her wallet than a bank account of a middle-class family.

 

She's also one of the girls who Kai told to beat me up in the bathroom. She was the one who wrote “LOSER” on my face with lipstick after they were done pummeling the hell out of me.

 

I roll my eyes at the sound of their canoodling and continue working on the warm-up lesson Mr. Han handed us. It’s 8 in the morning. How can they stand to do this kind of stuff?

 

“I want to sit here, Yuna,” Kai replies in a sultry voice. The sound of a chair being pulled back next to me resounds through the classroom. “We’ll get a great view from here.”

 

“But this is at the very front of the classroom,” Yuna whines softly. “I don’t wanna sit here.”

 

“You’re free to sit at the back of the classroom. I’m staying here.”

 

I tsk softly under my breath. No one wants to hear their little soap opera.

 

“Do you have a problem, Park Sojin?” Kai asks loudly.

 

Anticipating whispers begin to fill the classroom. Kai’s started with Sojin again. This should be fun to watch. It’s so funny when the valedictorian gets her handed to her by Kai. I’m happy it’s not me, at least.

 

I ignore Kai as usual. I know exactly what’s going to happen next.

 

“I said, do you have a problem?” Kai yanks my chin upward, so that I’m looking into his eyes. “Are you deaf?”

 

We exchange looks. All the events which occured at his house come rushing back to me.

 

Jongin.

 

Something flickers in his eyes.

 

“She must be mute,” Yuna snickers, interrupting our little moment. “I don’t think she knows how to talk.”

 

"Yeah," Kai says, clearing his throat and looking away. "That must be what's wrong with Sojin."

 

Ah. He must be mad at me after what I said to him before I stormed out of his house.

 

Let him be. I don't give a damn. He's just going to keep treating me like he always has: like crap.

 

“What’s all this ruckus?” Mr. Han asks from his desk.

 

“Nothing. We’re just asking Sojin for help on the warm-up.” Kai informs Mr. Han confidently.

 

Mr. Han looks at me. He’s obviously not going to do anything to help me. I can tell by the helpless look in his eyes, the lack of intervention due to fear by the other teachers.

 

“Were you jealous when Yuna and I walked in together?” Kai smirks, directing his attention back to me. “Do you wish you could call me oppa? Do you want me to hold you like that?”

 

He seems to have forgotten that he held me in a much more compromising position at his house that night.

 

“You are jealous, aren’t you?” Kai chuckles. The entire class is whispering even louder now. Sojin likes Kai? She’s jealous of Yuna? Wow, could she be any more pathetic? It’s not like Sojin will ever be able to get Kai.

 

By the time the period’s over, every student in our Advanced Economics class is under the assumption that I’m in love with Kai.

 

Welcome back to school, Sojin.


A few weeks later, I’m sitting outside during lunch with Sulli, Luna, and Amber (Krystal and Victoria are at tutoring) when a gangly brown-haired boy tentatively approaches me.

 

“Er... Sojin?” he says, scratching his head. “Um, hi. I’m Park Chanyeol. I’m in your English class?”

 

“You’re Jacket Boy,” I note.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You offered me your jacket when I was all wet from jumping into the lake. When I got my backpack after Kai threw it in.”

 

“You remember that?” Chanyeol chuckles. “You have a great memory.”

 

“What do you want?” I ask bluntly.

 

Chanyeol coughs uncomfortably. “Er, well, you know that test that’s coming up? I was... just... wondering if you could tutor me? Please?”

 

I put down my sandwich. “Why should I?”

 

“I, uh...,” His face is completely red. It’s quite amusing. “I’ll do whatever you want.”

 

“Really? Then can you stop your friend Kai from bullying me?”

 

“I’ll try,” he tells me earnestly. “And I can pay you for tutoring me, too. Just... if I don’t do well on this test, I’ll be kicked off the basketball team.”

 

“That’s not my problem. Maybe you shouldn’t have been so mean to me. Then I might’ve helped me.” I pick up my backpack and gesture towards the door. “Sulli. Luna. Amber. Let’s go.” And I stride away, leaving Chanyeol behind, open-mouthed.

 

“What did he want?” Sulli asks curiously.

 

“Tutoring.” I roll my eyes. “He actually expects me to help him after how awful he’s been to me?”

 

“Hypocrite,” Amber mutters under her breath.

 

There’s no way Chanyeol’s going to try to ask me again.

 

 


 
A/N: I'll be double updating tonight! Sorry, this chapter's kinda boring. I suddenly developed a short bout of writer's block... arughghhglaskdflsa