Chapter 16

Don't Love Me

At about 6 in the evening, my phone buzzes with an incoming call.

 

“Sojin! If you’re finished with your lab work, do you want to go to dinner?” Chanyeol’s bubbly voice asks. “We can explore the island!”

 

I glance at my watch. “I was planning to work for a few more hours, but I’d love to go to dinner with you! Give me an hour.”

 

Racing back to my hotel room, I take a shower at top speed, throw open my suitcase, and then call Chanyeol.

 

“Hey, I’m ready. Where should we meet?”

 

“Hotel lobby. We’ll leave together!”

 


 

“Hey, Sojin.” Chanyeol waves. “You look cute!”

 

“Thanks,” I smile. “So where do you want to go?”

 

“I’m craving seafood. There’s this restaurant in the city that has great food.”

 

“I love seafood!” I exclaim. “Let’s go.”

 

Chanyeol proffers his arm. “Shall we go, milady?”

 

Rolling my eyes, I take his hand. “Sure.” We head outside, where Chanyeol has called a taxi.

 

The food is amazing, but talking to Chanyeol is even better. From witty quips to insights about school life, he is such an awesome person to spend time with.

 

“Sojin, what do you want to do after high school?” he asks suddenly.

 

“Biotech.” I reply instantly. “I’m going to get my phD and... and discover something that’ll change lives. I’m going to help people.”

 

Chanyeol grins. “That sounds good. At least you know what you want to do.”

 

“How about you?”

 

He’s silent. “What’s wrong?” I question, concerned.

 

“No, it’s just... well, you’re going to think this is a stupid problem.”

 

“There’s no such thing as a stupid problem. Now spill.”

 

“My parents expect me to go into law, and then take over their law firm. But I don’t want to be a lawyer.” Chanyeol pushes around the shrimp on his plate. “I hate confrontation. It feels so... mean.”

 

“Yeah, no offense, but I can never imagine you as a lawyer.” I exhale slowly. Chanyeol’s too goofy and kind to deal with serious situations and paperwork. He wouldn’t last a second in the courtroom. “But don’t be pressured. Is there anything else you like to do?”

 

“Volunteering, but as my mom says, ‘you can’t get a profit out of that’.” Chanyeol scoffs.

 

“You can find a way. I’ll help.” I pat his hand reassuringly, and he looks up, his eyes twinkling in thanks.

 

After we pay for dinner (the restaurant accepts our student passes!), Chanyeol and I take a stroll on the bustling, energetic boardwalk. Everything from singing acts to tourist shops to music competitions are taking place here. The scene looks so fun!

 

Chanyeol and I tour the area, admiring the beautiful handmade crafts, the friendliness of the locals- everything. As we’re walking, we see a huge crowd gathered near a thumping stereo.

 

“What is that?” Chanyeol wonders. As we approach the circle, we see someone jump in the circle and start dancing.

“It’s a freestyle competition.” My lips quirk upwards. “Wanna go?”

 

“Of course! You know, I’m actually really good at dancing.” Chanyeol informs me.

 

“Really? You should go!”

 

We’ve reached the outskirts of the circle. A lanky boy wearing a blue cap is spinning around on his head; he flips back into a handspring. The audience hoots in admiration. As the song fades away, he jumps back into the mass of people.

 

I’m about to tug Chanyeol’s hand and motion for us to keep walking- until I see the next person who jumps into the circle.

 

Kai’s body flows with the music as he moves with the music of the song. When the beat drops, he breaks into an intense popping and locking routine which causes my jaw to drop. The bystanders are going insane, screaming and shouting and cheering for Kai. And for good reason, too: he’s amazing. His movements are so precise and powerful, his expression so absorbed and compelling.

 

Finally, the song ends. He turns one last time and then stops, his expression filled with exhilaration and satisfaction. The crowd shrieks, clapping loudly. “Encore! Encore! Encore!” they shout.

 

“Holy , I didn’t know Kai could dance like that,” Chanyeol breathes. “Kai! Hey, Kai! Good job, dude!”

 

Kai twists around and sees Chanyeol, and then me. His dark eyes latch onto mine for a second, swirling with an emotion of triumph.

 

“How did I do, Sojin?” he ask, a cocky smirk on his face.

 

Instead of replying, I nudge Chanyeol. “Hey, let’s go. I’m sure there’s plenty more to see on the boardwalk.”

 


 

Kai doesn’t come back to the hotel room until late that night. I’m stretched out on the sofa, thumbing through an old Charles Dickens novel, when the door flies open. I barely look up, not bothering to acknowledge him.

 

The sound of Kai’s footsteps pauses for a moment.

 

“Would it really hurt you to tell me ‘good job’?” Kai utters coldly.

 

“Would it matter?” I flip the page. “You’re good at every damn thing anyway. I don’t need to tell you anything.”

 

He strides to me and rips the book out of my hands. “Are you really that prideful that you can’t congratulate someone? What’s wrong with you?”

 

I sit up angrily. “Oh, yeah? You’re the one that constantly harrasses me about not being as good as you. Do you really expect a ‘good job’ from me?”

 

In a flash, Kai straddles me, pinning me to the sofa. When I try to push him off he grabs my hands in a tight clasp.

 

“You know, I could do whatever I wanted to you right now,” he murmurs in a low voice. His eyes are piercing into mine. “I could kiss you. Or you.”

 

I coolly stare at him, not betraying the fear starting to rise in my stomach.

 

“You know what, Sojin? Let’s have a little bet.” Kai smirks. “If you can beat me at something, I’ll never mess with you again. In fact, I’ll apologize to you in front of the entire school.”

 

“And if you win?” I ask warily.

 

“You have to do whatever I want tomorrow night.” He traces the side of my cheek with his finger. “Whatever I want.”

 

I know exactly what Kai wants from me. .

 

And then to discard me like an old rag- after humiliating me in front of everyone.

 

Don’t be stupid, Sojin. Say no. Say no.

 

“Deal.” I tell Kai firmly.

 


 
A/N: Looks like Kai isn't the only guy who's jealous. Sojin was pretty envious of Kai's annoyingly mad skills too. AGH DO YOU GUYS KNOW THOSE KINDS OF PEOPLE WHO'RE JUST GOOD AT EVERYTHING WITHOUT REALLY TRYING THEY MAKE ME SAD
 
AND AAAAAAAH 200 SUBS OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS I DIDN'T EVEN THINK I WAS GOING TO REACH 50 SUBS BUT BAM PEOPLE ARE COMING IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL LIKE WOW THANKS <3333