Chapter 21

Don't Love Me

“What the hell was that?”

 

It's dark outside, hours after the graduation ceremony has ended. I left school without looking back once, under the impression that no one would try to stop me.

 

Evidently, I was wrong.

 

“How do you know where I live?” I ask, without turning around.

 

“I sent a chauffeur to your house once, remember?” I hear Kai’s footsteps approach me. “So tell me. Are you an idiot, or are you just recklessly brave?”

 

“Kai, leave.” I pull out my keys and unlock the door to my apartment. “Today was supposed to be the last time I saw you.”

 

He grabs my hand and spins me around. “Today’s not over.”

 

Facing his pristine features makes my heart throb. It’s been months since we looked each other straight in the face. The sight of Kai’s warm chocolate brown eyes sends a tremor through my body.

 

“We haven’t talked to each other in months. What do you want now?” I utter brusquely.

 

“Your speech. You know the school administration is considering revoking your valedictorian award?”

 

I give a short laugh. “I expected that. They probably will. You’ll get the award, as expected.”

 

“Stop acting so nonchalant.” Kai tightens his grip on my wrist, and I wince. “Aside from that, everyone hates you. Every parent on the school boards wants your neck.”

 

“Who cares? I’m going to surpass them in the future. They’re just mad because I told them the truth.” I twist my hand out of Kai’s grip and open the door to my apartment. He follows me inside.  

 

“I didn’t know arrogance was one of your traits,” he scoffs. “‘I’m going to surpass them in the future?’”

 

“Mark my words, Kim Kai.” I stare him straight in the eyes. “I’m going to work as hard as I can so I’ll become successful and powerful. I’m going to show everyone who went to Seoul Private that someone who wasn’t born with money can end up being better off than them.”

 

Kai doesn’t answer. Instead, he changes the subject. “You’ve been to my house twice, but I’ve never been to yours,” he remarks. “Do you live alone?”

 

“Obviously.”

 

“Does it get lonely?”

 

“Why do you care?”

 

He an eyebrow. “I was trying to be friendly.”

 

“Kai, what are you doing here?” I question, exasperated. “Why don’t you go find that girl you were playing footsie with during graduation and sleep at her mansion instead? Go sneak into a club with all your friends, attend the graduation party. Are you going to keep torturing me until the end?!”

 

“I came to tell you something.” He takes a deep breath. “Sojin, I’m in love with you. I’ve loved you since junior year. At first, when I met you, I loathed you. There you were, competitive and assertive of your intelligence. You reminded me of... me. Before my mother committed suicide. After she died, I tried so hard to change myself so that no one else would be affected by my knowledgeable personality- I kept my facade of being an apathetic, spoiled playboy for years.”

 

“And then you came along. I remembered how successful and happy I used to be. And I despised you for reminding me, so I started bullying you. Maybe if you were unhappy, you’d quit Seoul Private Academy and get out of my life. But somewhere along the way I started caring for you. I wanted to protect you, but every fiber of my being opposed you.”

 

“As time passed I admired you more and more. Do you remember when you saved that girl in Guam? I felt so proud of you. My esteem for you rose even higher.” He chuckles ruefully. “When I saw you with Chanyeol I would get so jealous of him, because he got to spend more time with you. You’re intelligent, strong, beautiful, and passionate.”

 

Kai pulls me into an embrace. “Sojin, please be my girlfriend.”

 

I am about to wrap my hands around his waist. Tell him that I like him too, I’ll be his girlfriend.

 

But then I freeze.

 

Images of the last 2 years run through my mind. Kai making fun of me at school, all my classmates turning on me, Kai blackmailing me into feeding me dinner, Kai humiliating me in front of Chanyeol. Can I really forgive him this easily? And how do I know he’s not tricking me right now? Could this be the practical joke to wrap up our high school career?

 

I push him away from me. “No, Kai. What do you take me for? You torment me for 2 years and you think it’ll all be okay with one apology? Please... just get out.”

 

Kai stares at me for a full minute, unmoving.

 

Then he turns away.

 

“Goodbye, Sojin,” he says quietly, and walks out the door.

 

He doesn’t see me sink to the sofa in tears the moment he leaves.

 


 

“Oh my god, Sojin, did you hear?” Krystal exclaims a few weeks later, while all of us are eating out at a cafe. “Kai moved to America! He’s going to Whale University or something!”

 

I stare at her, motionless.

 

“Don’t you mean Yale University, idiot?” Amber playfully smacks Krystal upside the head.

 

“He’s finally gone! We’ll never see him again!” Luna pumps her fist. “Right, Sojin?”

 

“Oh... y-yeah.” My words are sticking in my throat. “Thank god. Kai’s finally... gone.”

 

Victoria raises her glass. “Cheers!”

We clink our glasses.


A/N: ahh