Chapter 30

Don't Love Me

“Sojin, don’t be so upset.” Kai gently my hair. We’re back in my apartment, and I’m laying facedown on the sofa.

 

    “How can I not be upset?” I moan, my voice muffled. “Saemi just randomly went off with that boy! I’m supposed to take care of her. And also, where are her parents?”

 

    “That’s actually a good question.” His tone turns to one of concern. “Have you ever met them.”

 

    I sit up slowly. “I haven’t, actually... I know Saemi has a family and a home, but I’ve never seen them before in my life.”

 

    Kai furrows his eyebrows. “Saemi’s hiding something from you, I know it. But it’s alright, Sojin. She’ll tell you when the time’s right.” When I don’t reply, he suggests, “How about we go out tomorrow? Take your mind off this.”

 

    “Go out where?” I say miserably, and Kai winks.

 

    “It’s a surprise.”

 

    I look up at him, my eyebrows raised. “Wait, are you suggesting that we go out on a date?”

 

    “Yes.”

 

    The rational side of me wants to tell him no way. Why would I want to go on a date with him? Kai’s been a complete jerk to me the entire time I’ve known him... well, not these days. Ever since he’s come back from America he’s been pretty nice. Images of him taking the company to an Italian restaurant, telling me that he approved funding for the muscular dystrophy project, proudly showing me his “cookies”, and laughing at kdramas with him flash through my mind. Comforting me at the hospital.

 

    And most of all, I can’t forget the little flutter that runs through my heart whenever I’m around him.

 

    So I reply, “Fine.”

 

    I have little hope, but it’s worth a chance.

 


 

    “You look... whoa.” Kai swallows as he takes in my little black hourglass dress and matching heels. My loosely curled hair falls to my lower back.

 

    “Thanks.” Kai’s wearing a blazer jacket, a white button-down shirt, and slacks. He looks especially handsome. “So where exactly are we going?”

 

    He clears his throat. “I made a reservation at the Etout de la Toire. I also bought some ice cream.”

 

    “Oh. So that’s what you were carrying when you walked in.”

 

    “I know how much you love vanilla.” He winks, and I turn a light shade of pink. “Now come on. Let’s go.”

 

    Kai parks in front of an extremely tall building. Despite its massive height it’s absolutely unremarkable: there are no lights, no decoration, not even a sign on the outside. The only strange thing about the place is that its exterior seems to be unnaturally shimmering. I raise an eyebrow, completely unimpressed.

 

But the excited expression on Kai’s face causes me to smile slightly. Seeing him happy is kind of adorable, so it’s alright if the location of our dinner is pathetic.

 

    He walks me inside, and I am faced with nothing but an elevator in the far corner and a man sitting in front of it.

 

    “Reservation?” he asks in a nasally voice as we approach him.

 

    Kai flashes his ID. “Kim Kai.”

 

    The man nods and presses a button on the corner of his desk. The elevator swooshes open soundlessly, and Kai takes my hand and leads me inside.

 

    “What is this?” I whisper, my curiosity piqued. The elevator walls are made of glass, so I can see the bright city of Seoul get smaller and smaller below me. “Seems very fancy, no?”

 

    He smirks. “You’re going to love this.”

 

    The elevator slides open and my jaw drops.

 

    A beautifully decorated, elegant restaurant stands in front of me. Twinkling lights add a spectacular ambiance to the dining area, where a handful of people sit, feasting on exquisite entrees. A huge glass aquarium is embedded in the wall, where tens of colorful little fish flit around. And when I look down at the floor, I realize-

 

    “This is a revolving restaurant,” Kai tells me, smiling at my expression. “It makes a complete turn every hour. It doesn’t go too fast, so you won’t feel sick.”

 

    “Oh my god,” I breathe. “This- this place is amazing! How come I’ve never heard about it?”

 

    “It’s reserved only for the most elite guests,” he says, and I roll my eyes.

 

    “You rich people and your damn superiority complexes,” I mutter. Kai sighs playfully.

 

    “What can we do,” he shrugs, and the two of us burst into laughter.

 

    A neatly-dressed waitress approaches us. “You must be Mr. Kim Jongin. You requested a table for 2, correct? Follow me.” She seats us in an amazing spot right next to the windows. I gasp in awe as I observe Seoul from this high perspective. The city looks stunning.

 

    Kai and I talk through the appetizer and main course. We are served delicious ravioli with a fricassee of snails and wild garlic, spit-roasted red-wine marinated pigeon with red cabbage and apple juice, and verjus marinated foie gras. The names of the dishes are real mouthfuls- literally. I don’t think I’ve ever tasted better food in my life.

 

    We’re in the middle of feeding each other cheesy pickup lines when someone exclaims, “Sojin!”

 

    I look up and my eyes widen. “Chanyeol!” I squeal, wrapping my arms around his torso. “Oh my god! You didn’t tell me that you were in Seoul!”

 

    “I was planning to drop by your apartment later and surprise you,” he grins. “I have a ton of stuff to tell you.”

 

    I smile. “You should definitely-,”

 

    “Excuse me.”

 

    Kai’s expression is blank, but his eyes are smoldering with fury. I am terribly familiar with that look. It spells trouble, plain and clear.

 

    “Kai! I didn’t see you!” Chanyeol walks over to him and claps his back. “How’ve you been, dude? I’ve heard so many great things about what you’ve done-,”

 

    “We were in the middle of a date.” Kai says between gritted teeth. Chanyeol’s eyes nearly pop out of his skull. He looks back and forth between me and Kai.

 

    “Are you serious?” A wide smile brightens his face. “That’s amazing! Whoa, I never thought this would happen! Take good care of Sojin, Kai. She’s an amazing girl.” Chanyeol ruffles my hair and I blush.

 

    Chanyeol leaves soon after, promising to call us so we can catch up. Unfortunately, it seems like his presence remains with us for the rest of dinner. Judging by the way Kai isn’t saying a word to me, he’s extremely pissed off.

 

My heart pangs in regret. Our date was going amazingly up until Chanyeol came. But why does Kai have to get so jealous anyway? Chan and I have a platonic relationship.

    Half an hour later, we’ve arrived back at my loft.


A/N: So Chanyeol came back into the picture... at exactly the wrong time. Ahh everything was going so well, but don't get TOO mad... ;)