Chapter 22

Don't Love Me

5 years later...


 

“Dr. Park! Dr. Park, we have a crisis on hand!”

 

I turn off the thermocycler and rush out of my lab station. “Get the first aid kit ready! Someone else call an ambulance!” Rounding the corner, I throw open the door to the trainee lab-

 

And am faced with Kim Saemi, my protegee, sobbing in a fancy designer dress.

 

“Saemi, I thought you said there was a crisis on hand,” I say slowly.

 

“There is!” she sniffs. “I was trying on my dress for the banquet on Saturday, but- but- why did I buy a fuschia dress? I hate my life!”

 

I groan. And here I thought Saemi had contaminated her sample data or something. Was I really this overdramatic when I was in high school?

 

“Hey, Dr. Park, what’re you wearing for the banquet on Saturday?” Saemi questions. “I bet your boyfriend bought you a really nice dress, right?”

 

“You know perfectly well I don’t have a boyfriend,” I reply, rolling my eyes. “And I’m wearing the black dress.”

 

“Wha- you’ve worn that dress to every function we’ve been invited to! You can’t be serious! And that dress has no appeal!”

 

“Saemi, we’re going to some scientist ball. Not senior prom or whatever.” I sigh.

 

“What are you talking about?” Saemi shrieks. “Dr. Yoon told me that this is the biggest event in the scientific community all year! It’s going to be at Kim Mansion! That’s where the founder of Kim Biotech lives!” She sighs dreamily.

 

“I know,” I snap irritably. “If we weren’t obliged to go, I would’ve declined the invitation.”

 

“Why? That place is huge! And did you know that Mr. Kim has a son? He’s supposed to be a genius-,”

 

“Hey, Saemi, do you want to go shopping?” I chirp, interrupting her. “I can take you dress shopping now. We were technically supposed to get off work an hour ago.”

 

“YES!” Saemi wraps her arms around me. “I love you, I love you, I love you Dr. Park! Let’s go right away!”

 

It’s been 5 years since I graduated from high school. When I entered Seoul University, they deemed my level of knowledge and experience to be higher than the undergrad level, thanks to my experience at Kim Biotech. I was immediately able to enter the dual learning program and obtain my phD in biotechnology in a mere 4 years.

 

After I left university, I started my own private lab, ParkBio. A few months within opening the lab, me and my team of scientists (including my own, hand-picked high school intern, Saemi) were able to engineer a line of rhinovirus cures that put us in headlines. ParkBio’s been doing well ever since.

 

Working with my new team has been a blast, especially with Saemi. She’s more of a little sister than an apprentice, what with her staying at my house most of the time. But Saemi can get out of hand sometimes. Why does she care so much about her appearance? Her safety goggles cover her eye makeup in the lab anyway.

 

My friends have scattered all over the globe, working in different places. We stay in touch, but unfortunately, we don't meet frequently.

 

I haven’t seen... anyone else. And I doubt I’ll ever see them, either. I don’t think they have plans to come back to Seoul.

 

Saemi and I are scanning the racks of a designer store when my phone buzzes. “I’ll be right back,” I tell Saemi, handing her my gold Amex card. “Pick nice dresses for the both of us and then check out.”

 

“Thanks!” she grins, and scurries away before I can regret my decision.

 

“Hello?” I say, picking up my phone.

 

“How’s my favorite biologist doing?” a friendly, deep voice rumbles.

 

“That depends on how my favorite philanthropist is doing. How are you, Chanyeol?” I laugh.

 

“Doing great. We secured another major donation, so we’re opening another soup kitchen in Harare.” I hear Chanyeol say something to another person on his end of the line. “Sojin, I have to go in a little bit. I just wanted to tell you that I was thinking of coming to Seoul again..”

 

“Really?” I gasp. “We should meet up! You can stay at my apartment- you don’t have to waste money on a hotel.”

 

“Aww, you’re so sweet,” Chanyeol cooes playfully. “Hey, I really have to go. Bye!”

 

“I picked a great dress for you,” Saemi chuckles evilly, holding up a pink bag. “You’ll love it.”

 

“Great,” I tell her sarcastically. “I’m looking forward to seeing what you bought.”

 


 

“You did not buy this,” I choke, examining the dress. “If I wear this, I’m going to become the laughingstock of the scientific community.”

 

“Shut up, Sojin!” Saemi stands in front of my full-length mirror, delicately applying mascara. Her phone reads 4:30 PM. 2 hours before we’re supposed to arrive at the Kim mansion. I shudder at the mere memory of that place. It’s unfortunate that I’ll have to return there; the place which contains so many bad memories.

 

“It’s red, Saemi!” I wail. “And the back’s practically nonexistent! And it’s short!”

 

“It’ll be a relief after that dull black dress you always wear,” she hums.

 

When I continue gaping at the garment in my hands, Saemi sighs. “Sojin, I really didn’t want to pull this card. But look at the price tag on the back. Keep in mind that I bought this with your credit card.”

 

I look at the price. The next second, I head to the bathroom to change.

 

There is no way in hell I am wasting that much money. I’m wearing this.

 


A/N: I really do have a thing for time lapses :D and fancy banquets and parties, as well.
 
I didn't do the airport cliche xD