Chapter 12

Don't Love Me

Weeks pass, and news of my “tiness” finally seems to die down. Kai and his friends, however, always make it a point to whisper “Want some fruits?” in my ear and smirking. They start to get fed up of my lack of a reaction and stop doing it, thankfully.

 

One cool October morning, Principal Shin schedules a class assembly to discuss our upcoming annual trip to whatever exotic location the school board decides on. I head over to the library instead. It’s not like I’ll actually attend: I don’t have the money and I don’t have the will. Who’d want to be stuck with people who they hate for a week?

 

“Hey, Sojin, where’re you going?” I whirl around. Chanyeol, Kai, and the other popular people are staring at me, looking oh so high and mighty. Only Chanyeol has a friendly expression on his face; the others have looks of contempt.

 

“To the library,” I tell Chanyeol.

 

“But why? We’re going to be talking about our field trip! I think we’re going to Guava this year!”

 

“Guam, oppa,” Yuna says irritably. “Not Guava.”

 

Chanyeol’s face flushes. “Yeah, that’s what I meant. But Sojin, if you come to Guam we can go eat cake together!”

 

“Yeah, right.” A familiar voice scoffs maliciously. “She can’t even pay tuition here for a semester. What makes you think she’ll be able to afford a trip to Guam?”

 

I refuse to look at him. Instead I flash Chanyeol a bland smile and say, “I’ll see you in English. Have fun at the meeting.”

 

As I’m walking inside the library, I hear Chanyeol exclaim, “Kai, what is your problem, man?”

 

About half an hour into the assembly, my phone buzzes with a new text from Sulli.

 

Are you sure you don’t want me to ask my parents if they can pay for you? They’re totally okay with it.

 

That’s alright, I reply. The trip costs way too much. Plus I’m pretty sure we’re starting on a new research project at the laboratories the week of the trip.

 

Smiling, I stow away my phone. I hope they all have fun.


 

“Sojin honey!” Dr. Ahn trills as she walks into the laboratories. “I heard you’re going to Guam for your school field trip! How fun!”

“I’m not going,” I laugh. “I’m staying here.”

 

Dr. Ahn stops in her tracks. “What? No, you have to go! It’s the last field trip of your senior year!”

 

“I’d rather stay here with Dr. Zhang.” I joke.

 

“Yeah, I’m not letting my pwecious Sojinnie go anywhere,” he teases. “She wants her oppa wit- oof!

 

“Sojin sure knows how to pack a punch,” Dr. Byun chuckles, carrying an RNA primer kit. “Don’t push it next time, LayLay.”

 

“Don’t call me LayLay,” Dr. Zhang grumbles. “It’s Dr. Zhang to you.”

 

“Anyway, why can’t you go to your school trip honey?” Dr. Hwang asks. “It sounds exotic.”

 

“I don’t have the money, and... other reasons.” I cough awkwardly.

 

“That shouldn’t be a problem. I can submit a request to CEO Kim about paying for the trip. He’s on the board of your school.” Dr. Ahn spectates.  

 

Dr. Byun’s eyes widen in realization. “Hey, doesn’t he have a son in your grade? You could ask hi-,”

 

“Never,” I say in a low voice, shaking my head. “It’s okay, I really don’t want to go anyway. I’d rather be working here!”

 

“But Sojin-,”

 

“There’s no way I’m going to Guam.”


 

“Oh my god, you’re going to Guam?” Luna exclaims, jumping up and down.

 

I lie face-down on the grass, groaning. “How did this happen?” I mutter.


 

Not even 3 days after my discussion at the laboratories, I walked into Kim Biotechnology and stopped dead in my tracks. Dr. Ahn, Dr. Zhang, Dr. Byun, and Dr. Hwang were all staring at me with zealous looks in their eyes.

 

“She’s come,” Dr. Hwang whispered.

 

“What’s going on?” I asked slowly, inching backwards. Dr. Ahn stepped forward and handed me an envelope.

 

“You’ve been assigned a new project from CEO Kim himself,” she whispered eerily. “You’ll have to analyze the compositions of foreign species and determine if they’re suitable for medicinal use.”

 

“Okay, but... why are you looking at me like that?”

 

Dr. Byun stepped forward. “Open the envelope.”

 

“Guam?!” I shrieked. “Analyzing animals from Guam? All expenses will be covered for this scientific foray?” I slapped my forehead. “Wha- how-,”

 

“I recommended it to CEO Kim,” Dr. Zhang said, cackling. “He seemed particularly interested when I mentioned Guam. Apparently your class is going on a trip to Guam at the exact same time as well? Wow! We didn’t know!”

 

“You guys,” I moaned. “I thought I said I didn’t want to go on the class trip!”

 

“You’re not going on the class trip. You’re going on a scientific foray.” Dr. Byun told me, readjusting his glasses.

 

"Oh my god." I sigh.



“Aww, the people at the laboratories are so nice!” Krystal gushes. “We’re gonna have so much fun shopping and getting ready!”

"I hope so," I shrug. I'm trying to keep a cool demeanor, but I just can't help the butterflies of anticipation flitting around in my stomach.


A/N: I had fun writing the laboratory scene with Dr. Zhang and all :D Yay I can't wait to go to Guava... ohsorry meant Guam.