Chapter 19

Don't Love Me

Take a shower and get dressed in light clothes. Then meet me in the bedroom.

 

I rip Kai’s note off the door and tear it into tiny shreds. Bastard. He still expects me to keep to our bet, even though I was disqualified for a totally ridiculous reason? Typical Kai. I hate him.

 

However a deal is a deal. So I bathe myself, taking extra time to scrub the makeup off my face. I dress in a simple pair of shorts and a cami. I brush my hair.

 

My body feels numb. This is it. I’m going to have . If I view it scientifically as an act of simple reproduction, a step necessary for living organisms, will I be able to detach myself from the experience?

 

My first was supposed to be special, my heart pangs. Instead I’m losing it over a stupid bet.

 

Taking a deep breath, I walk out of the bathroom and then open the door to the large bedroom.

 

Kai is lying on the bed, reading. His back is resting against the headboard. Kai’s shirtless. The lights are dimmed, the curtains drawn.

 

When I enter he looks up.

 

“You lost again, Sojin,” he murmurs, placing his book on the bedstand. “I told you you could never beat me.”

 

I don’t reply.

 

“Put on your shoes. We’re going down to the beach.” Kai grabs a sweatshirt and throws it on over his bare torso. I, on the other hand, stay frozen in place.

 

We're not having , then. Thank god.

 

“Aren’t you coming?” he asks, raising an eyebrow. “You’re supposed to do whatever I say, right?

 


 

“Isn’t it nice?”

 

Kai’s soft voice is barely heard over the crashing of the ocean waves on the sandy dunes. I can spot colorful lights and the hum of loud sound coming from the inner city. There must be a party going on in town. I’m sure some students snuck out to attend, praying they wouldn’t be caught.

 

In contrast, the beach is absolutely empty. Only the water breaks the still silence of the night. I inhale, taking in the soothing scent of saltwater.

 

This scene seems so ethereal. Why did Kai choose to take me here? It doesn’t seem like his style.

 

“It’s calm and relaxing,” Kai says, as if he’s reading my thoughts. Striding over to a spot on the sand, he spreads out the downy blanket he brought with us from our suite.

 

“Don’t,” I tell him. “You’ll get it all dirty.”

 

“Shut up, Sojin. Stop worrying for once.” Kai stretches out onto the blanket, and motions for me to join him. Reluctantly, I lie down next to him.

 

“So what do you want me to do?” I say bitterly. “You won.”

 

“Three things.” Kai holds up his fingers. “First thing: we’re going swimming.”

 

“What?!” I shoot up. “But you didn’t tell me to wear a swimsuit!”

 

His mouth drops open in fake horror. “Oh no, really? Looks like you’ll have to take off your clothes, then.”

 

“Wha-no way!” Kai throws me a cocky grin before ripping off his shirt and wading into the ocean.

 

“You better come in, or you’ll be violating the terms of our bet!” he calls out to me.

 

Grumbling, I stomp into the water without stripping myself. I’m keeping my clothes on, thank you very much. I’ll just get in knee-deep, I tell myself. That way I won’t be soaking.

 

Unfortunately Kai splashes me with a wave of water, drenching my entire body. “You !” I yell, and chase him through the ocean.

 

“You’re too slow!” he taunts, laughing. I roll my eyes and continue towards him. By this point my cami and shorts are so wet that they’re sticking to my body.

 

I hurl myself at him and both of us topple into the water. “I got you,” I say triumphantly.

 

“No you don’t,” Kai retaliates, and flips me over so he's looming above me. “I got you.”

 

Suddenly I become aware of how close Kai and I are. I can feel his body heat warming my skin as we lie amidst the cool waves of the ocean. His heart is beating with mine.

 

We stay still for a few moments. Then Kai whispers huskily, “Number two.”

 

And he closes the gap between our lips.

 

Our kiss is short, his gentle lips playing on mine for only a second. But it is more than enough to send a faint tremor down my spine.

 

My words nearly get stuck in my throat as I mumble, “What’s... number 3?”

 

“Sleep with me,” Kai says softly. “In one bed. I won’t do anything to you, I promise. It’s just... when we sleep together...,”

 

He turns away. However, I can still see the tips of his ears- they’re bright red.

 

“It feels nice,” he mumbles.

 


 

I am the first to wake up the next morning.

 

Kai kept his word. He didn’t try to kiss me or do anything of the sort. Instead, he simply wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me towards him. I woke up snuggled safely in his embrace, my body sheathed by the warmth of his chest. He waited for me to make sure I had changed into dry clothes, and was feeling fine.

 

Kai’s sleeping face looks so tranquil. It betrays nothing of the terrible personality he possesses. In fact, if I didn’t know how ruthless and vile he could be, I would’ve been enraptured by his beautiful features.

 

I despise him. I don’t understand him. He’s arrogant and contemptful and disgusting. His past is frightening, his true self is terrifying.

 

I’d better stay far, far away from him. Otherwise the feelings blossoming inside my heart may develop further.

 

I’m not an idiot. I know all Kai will do is hurt me. There’s no chance he’ll truly want to date me either; there’s a wide chasm separating us which will never be able to be bridged.

 

So I am the first to leave the bed.

 


A/N: Sorry to all the people who wanted x) I felt it was a little too early for that. But it's coming!

Thanks for reading, guys! I appreciate it :)