Chapter 23

Don't Love Me

“Soj- I mean, Dr. Park. Stop fiddling with your dress.” Saemi mutters under her breath as we step out of the taxi. Already my scandalous dressing has attracted a few stares. My stomach feels unpleasantly queasy.

 

“I am never letting you pick my clothes again,” I hiss.

 

When we enter the mansion, my chest begins to tighten. A sudden memory of my 17-year-old self, excitedly striding through this very door, passes through my mind.

 

“Are you okay?” Saemi asks.

 

I nod. “I’m alright. Don’t worry.”

 

“Dr. Park!” A familiar figure greets me from a table. I gasp, hurrying over to him.

 

“Dr. Zhang!” I exclaim. “How have you been?”

 

“Lonely without my precious Sojinnie, of course.” Dr. Zhang winks, and I can feel Saemi nearly swoon. “Who’s this?” he questions, looking at Saemi.

 

“This is Kim Saemi, my intern. She’s wonderful.” I grin. “It’s really fun mentoring a student.”

 

“That’s right. I remember when you were my protegee.” He smiles. “Why don’t you two sit down?”

 

“Sojin, this Dr. Zhang guy is literally the only ray of hope in the cretinous glob of scientists,” Saemi breathes in my ear. “He is adorable.

 

“And 28,” I remind her.

 

“Age is just a number,” Saemi scoffs.

 

I quirk an eyebrow. “And jail is just a room.”

 

Several minutes later, after I’ve interacted with a few other people (and received compliments for my outfit), I hear someone say, “Good evening, everyone. Please be seated.”

 

CEO Kim is standing on the stage, smiling. Saemi and I hurry back to our chairs as Mr. Kim delivers a speech about the wonders of science and technology. When he concludes, the CEO is greeted with thunderous applause.

 

“Before I dismiss you all to a spectacular dinner, I would like to make a very important announcement.” CEO Kim clears his throat. “I founded Kim Biotech 38 years ago, and have been at the head of the company for that extensive time. It has been an honor serving the people of the world through science. However, it is time that I relinquish my position to my next successor.”

 

Whispers run through the audience. Kim Jae Sun is retiring? Who will Kim Biotechnology be passed down to?

 

“Everyone, I would like to introduce you to my son and successor, Kim Jongin, or Kim Kai. Those who have worked with Kim Biotech know that he was the acting Vice President of the company until age 15. Jongin has attended and taught at Yale, and gained a prominent position in the world’s math society as well. In fact, he solved one of MIT’s “unsolvable proofs” and earned a million-dollar prize.”

 

No.

 

This cannot be happening.

 

Mr. Kim chuckles. “I’m beginning to ramble. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Kim Kai as the new CEO of Kim Biotechnologies!”

 

“Sojin, has a god come down from heaven and stepped on the stage?” Saemi squeals in my ear as everyone (except for me) applauds. “Oh my god, I think I’m going to die-,”

 

“Stop.” I whisper, not taking my eyes off Kai. He’s matured. His jaw has become more prominent, his face has thinned out. He cut his hair.

 

But his rich, dark eyes... they’re the same. Exactly the same.

 

My hands are trembling.

 

I can’t hear Kai’s speech. My ears feel like they’re buzzing, actually.

 

Kai managed to become a professor at Yale and solve one of MIT’s infamous “death problems”? How did I not hear about this?

 

For the first time in 5 years, my heart encounters certain buried emotions.

 

“Saemi, I don’t feel too well. I’m going home,” I murmur as soon as we have been dismissed for dinner.

 

Her jaw drops. “But they just opened up the buffet!”

 

“I’m not hungry.”

 

“Hey.” Saemi takes my arm. “Sojin, something’s wrong. You’re never not hungry. What’s going on?”

 

“Hey, you two.” Dr. Zhang comes up from behind us. “Are you going to start? I heard they have caviar.”

 

“Sojin, we’ll eat something and then get out of here, I swear,” Saemi says quietly. “Come on.”

 

“Dr. Park!” Mr. Kim is approaching me, followed by... Kai. I stiffen.

 

“I haven’t seen you in a while! Congratulations on those rhinovirus vaccines your team developed!” Mr. Kim exclaims. “Have you met my son? Kai, this is Dr. Park. She used to be an intern at Kim Biotech! Now she owns her own independent lab.”

 

“I see.” Kai coolly holds out his hand. “Nice to meet you, Dr. Park.”

 

“It’s a pleasure, Mr. Kim. Or should I address you as CEO Kim?” I reply smoothly. My face betrays none of my emotions.

 

“CEO Kim would be suitable.” Kai says. His eyes rove over me. “You look stunning, Dr. Park.”

 

“As do you, CEO Kim.”

 

“Wait, you two attended Seoul Private Academy, correct?” Kai’s father realizes. “Did you two know each other?”

 

“Not at all,” Kai and I reply at the same time.

 

“It’s a shame.” Mr. Kim shakes his head. “Both of you are so brilliant. You two would’ve really clicked.”

 

“Yes, a shame,” Kai says monotonously. He lets go of my hand. “If you’ll excuse me, ladies. Good night.”

 

And he saunters away, off to make conversation with another couple.

 

“Kai just moved back from America. I was actually surprised; I didn’t think he would want to take over my company.” Mr. Kim smiles after his son’s retreating figure.  

 

I feel like I’m choking. I need to get out of this room; I can’t stay any longer.

 

“Saemi, please, let’s leave,” I plead.

The look on my face must be pretty damn terrifying, because she nods right away.

 


A/N: IT IS SO FREAKING COLD HERE IM GOING TO DIE FCKIG I WANT A LAPTOP SO I CAN SIT IN FRONT OF THE FIREPLACE AND WRITE NOT SIT UPSTAIRS IN THE COMPUTER ROOM AND FREEZE MY OFF AAAARRRGHH

hope you guys liked the chapter! :)