Chapter 4

Don't Love Me

The bullying ceases.

 

Everyone is acting like nothing happened; they begin treating me with respect bordering on awe again. The teachers fawn over me in class. Kai is ignoring me.

 

I don’t forgive them. I will never forgive them.

 

And I will never, ever forgive Kai.

 

One good thing has come out of this, however: I’ve gained 5 wonderful new friends. Luna, Krystal, Amber, Victoria, and Sulli are witty, kind, and funny. For the first time I actually have friends- I’m not isolated in a corner, studying by myself. I like how they’re there for me. I trust them.

 

But everyone else?

 

One Tuesday, a few weeks after I begged Kai to leave me alone, I receive a note in the middle of 5th period telling me to come down to the principal’s office immediately. Grabbing my backpack, I exit the classroom without even telling my teacher why.

 

“Ah, Sojin, come in.” Principal Shin is sitting across from an elegant woman wearing sleek business attire. When she sees me she smiles and waves.

 

“This is Mrs.Song. She’s a representative from Kim Biotechnology.” Principal Shin is beaming so hard it looks like he’s in pain. I warily eye Mrs. Song, slightly bowing my head.

 

“I mentioned how good of a student you were to the Kims the other day, and Kim Biotechnology would like to hire you as a paid intern!” Principal Shin exclaims.

 

Hypocrite. Only a month ago he was accusing me of being a jealous liar.

 

“Thank you,” I say to Mrs. Song tonelessly. “I am very interested in the field of biotechnology and would like an opportunity to further advance my experience.”

 

“Of course,” Mrs. Song nods. “If you accept our offer you will be working in the laboratories, assisting our scientists with research projects. Your pay will be satisfactory as well. Miss Park, you’re a scholarship student, correct?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“We’ll double the normal amount of salary that we usually give our interns, then,” Mrs. Song says.

 

“Thank you, but that won’t be necessary. I would prefer that you not take my financial status into consideration.” I reply. “I’m just happy to have the experience of working as an intern.”

 

“Miss Park, there is no need to be so rude,” Principal Shin scowls, but Mrs. Song dismisses him with a flick of her hand.

 

“Please, Principal. If anything I appreciate Sojin’s frankness.” Mrs. Song smiles at me again, and then passes me a smooth white contract. “Take a look at that, and sign if you accept.”

 

I grab a pen from Principal Shin’s desk and sign without hesitation.

 

“Congratulations! Welcome to Kim Biotechnology.” Mrs. Song and Principal Shin both shake my hand (I make sure I shoot a pointed glare before taking Principal Shin’s hand). “Report to our office at 9 AM this Saturday.” Mrs. Song instructs me. “Wear lab attire- you will be given the laboratory orientation.”

 

As I’m walking out of the principal’s office, a thought strikes my mind: should I be excited over this? Someone from the biggest biotech company in South Korea specifically sought me out so her company could give me a paid internship. This is great.

 

Yet I still feel numb inside.

 

I round the corner and immediately freeze. Kai is sauntering down the hall, lolling around a lollipop with his tongue. His “cool boy” act is immaculately played- his dark hair’s ruffled to just the right degree of messiness, his clothes scream tales of wealth and designer stores.

 

When Kai sees me he stops in his tracks as well.

 

Despite my best attempts to control the blend of fury and fear bubbling in my stomach, I still find myself trembling. The sight of his face brings back horrible, painful flashbacks. Finally, I take a deep breath and continue walking.

 

“So, you were offered an internship with Kim Biotech,” he suddenly says, his low voice breaking the tense silence.

 

I ignore him and continue walking.

 

The sound of footsteps gets closer and closer to me until I feel Kai grab my hand and whirl me around to face him.

 

“Didn’t you hear me?” he asks, his voice dangerously soft. “I asked you a question.”

 

I defiantly stare back at him, my face blank.

 

“Answer me,” he growls, drawing his face closer to mine.

 

I don’t reply.

 

Dammit!” Kai pushes me away forcefully; I fall back onto the ground. “What is wrong with you?!” he yells. “You’re like a robot, always expressionless! Why don’t you ever stand up for yourself?! Say something to me!”

 

When I remain mute, Kai clenches his fists and walks away.

 

I remember why I feel numb again.

 

My hatred of Kai is overpowering all my other senses.

 


 

I report to Kim Biotechnology that Saturday. I didn’t tell my friends because I wanted to surprise them; when I work on something significant in the labs and actually accomplish something, I’ll be able to proudly show them.

 

The labs are everything I’d ever dreamed about. SEM and TEM microscopes lined up at each workstation, rows and rows of agar plates and cell collection dishes, artificial DNA transcription materials stored in sleek silver cabinets. I meet Dr. Zhang, a young scientist from China who was recruited by Kim Biotech to head the research department at the mere age of 23. He’s intelligent and friendly, perfect to work with. Dr. Zhang is admirably able to make amiable chatter with me, despite my frosty demeanor.

 

I continue working at the laboratories for several days. Soon, I find myself warming up to... everything. There’s something about being treated as a professional biologist and being able to do something I love, even if it’s only for a few hours every Saturday. Therefore I've become happier. More cheerful.

School gets out in a week. Once summer vacation comes around I’ll be able to spend all my time at the labs. I won’t even have to attend my part-time job: this internship is paying extremely well.

 

Kim Kai begins to take a more distant spot in my mind. I still despise him, obviously; but my feelings aren’t consumed by animosity directed towards him. I have to say, the burden on my mind and heart has been lightened immensely.

 

The Saturday right after school gets out, I head straight for Kim Biotech. Victoria threw a fantastic last-day-of-junior-year sleepover last night where all the 6 of us did was eat pizza and paint our nails and gossip about television shows. In spite of the fact that we slept at 4 in the morning, I’m up 5 hours later, heading straight to Kim Biotech.

 


“Sojin?” Krystal yawned as I was packing my toothbrush and PJs back in my bag. “Why’re you up so early?”

 

“I have to get to my job,” I laughed softly. “It’s something really exciting. I’ll tell you what it is later.”

 

“Nooo, tell me now,” she sighed sleepily. A few seconds later she was fast asleep again. Affectionately rolling my eyes, I grabbed my stuff and left.


 

“Oh my goodness, Sojin, you’re not going to believe it!” Dr. Ahn, a short, motherly woman in her mid-40s, exclaims as soon as I enter the laboratories.

 

“What’s going on?” I ask, scratching my head.

 

“Our research team’s been invited to attend CEO Kim’s formal banquet,” Dr. Zhang grins, leaning on the wall. “Apparently it’s in celebration of the new adenovirus vaccine we engineered a few months ago. It’s cured a lot of sick people.”

 

“Whoa, you never told me our team was the one that made that vaccine!” I gape at Dr. Zhang in awe. “You guys are so awesome.”

 

“Yes, yes, I know.” Dr. Zhang flashes me a cheeky grin. “We’re bringing you along, you know. I have to brag about you to everyone there.”

 

“Wait, are you sure?” My lips spread in a huge grin. “Am I really going to the banquet too?”

 

“You bet!” Dr. Zhang smiles.


 

Thank you all so much for your sweet comments! They really make my day :)