Chapter 15

Don't Love Me

“Why do you always hang out around Chanyeol?” Kai demands as I unpack my things from my suitcase.

 

“Why do you care?” I reply smoothly.

 

Kai grits his teeth. “It’s annoying.”

 

I roll my eyes. What an immature baby. “I’m going to take a shower,” I say, and stomp into the bathroom.

 

I didn’t get a chance to fully look at the whole suite, but the bathroom alone causes my jaw to drop. A deluxe marble bath sits right in the corner of the room; a jetted spa tub sits in front of a large window, providing a soothing view of the ocean. There’s a walk-in shower and two full sinks and mirrors and a nice tiled floor to top it all off.

 

I’ll definitely try out that spa tub tomorrow, I promise myself, and take a quick shower.

 

After changing into a pair of shorts and a cami, I walk back outside the bathroom. “Where’s the bedroom?” I mutter, toweling my wet hair. After wandering into the kitchenette and work rooms, I finally locate the bedroom.

 

It’s a nice room, really. A glass door leading to a spacious balcony, lush tropical decor, mood lighting.

 

The only problem is, it has one bed, and Kai’s currently lying on it in nothing but baggy basketball shorts, watching TV.

 

“I presume there’s no other bed.” I intone.

 

“Correct.” Kai drags his eyes away from the television and takes a long look at me. “We can share the bed, you know.”

 

“I’ll pass.” I look out on the balcony, where a hammock hangs, a pillow sitting on top of it. “Perfect. I’ll sleep on the hammock.”

 

“You’re really not going to sleep with me?” Kai says scornfully. “We’re sharing a room. At least let something interesting happen.”

 

I make a sound of disgust. “No thanks. Good night.”

 

And I slam the balcony door shut.

 


 

My cell phone alarm blares in my ear at 5 in the morning, and I immediately shoot up. “Ugh,” I groan, rubbing my back. “Time to go collect specimen.”

 

I quietly slide open the balcony door, trying not to wake Kai up. Let’s see, I’d better remember the ID card for the laboratory facility Dr. Zhang gave me access to. As I’m changing into a pair of comfortable clothes for digging through wet sand all day, I mentally run through a checklist of tools I need to bring. Notebook? Pen? Dichotomous key? iPad for referencing?

 

When I’m done packing, I head out.

 

Guam is gorgeous, a perfect blend of tropical paradise and modern city. With its high-rise buildings located next to scenic beaches, the entire island provides a unique experience. Unfortunately, I don’t get a chance to really explore the place: I’m too busy digging up all sorts of worms and slugs and lizards to take back to the lab facility.

 

When noon rolls around, I pack up my stuff and decide to head to the beach for a little break. God, I’m starving. Fishing out my student pass (which allows me to get food for free anywhere in Guam, except for the high-class restaurants), I head over to a stall on the beach to buy a few fruits for lunch.  

 

“Ah, this is the life,” I exhale satisfactorily, plopping down on the warm sand. Chomping on a huge piece of papaya, I admire the blue-green waters of the Pacific Ocean. Wow, it’s so peaceful-

 

And then something slams square into my back, knocking the wind out of me.

 

“Ow!” I twist around, rubbing my back- and freeze.

 

“Oops. Sorry.” Kai sneers down at me, his dark hair ruffling in the wind. His bare torso is glowing golden in the sunlight, highlighting his toned abs and muscles. A white puka necklace hangs on his neck. He could be the poster boy for your typical spoiled rich brat.

 

“Ew, what’s Sojin doing here?” Yuna giggles, running up behind Kai. Her swimsuit’s revealing more skin than a lingerie set. “Nice outfit, loser.”

 

I look behind Kai and Yuna. Typical. A group of the Populars are playing beach volleyball. Looks like Kai accidentally made the ball hit me.

 

This isn’t going to end well. So much for a peaceful lunch break. I grab my bag and start to walk away.

 

“Where’re you going, Sojin?” Kris calls mockingly. All of them have started to walk over to me. “Why don’t you come play with us?”

 

“Yeah, play.” Kai steps dangerously close to me. “Or I’ll lock you out of our room.”

 

Desperation begins to rise up in my stomach. I’m not in the mood to be picked on by these idiots-

 

A large pair of arms wraps around my chest from the back and lifts me up in the air. “Sojin!” Chanyeol exclaims, whirling me around.

 

“Chanyeol, let go!” I giggle, flailing my legs. He gently drops me on the sand.

 

“I thought you were doing science or something?” Chanyeol tilts his head.

 

I nod. “Yeah, I just came here to take a break. I really should get back to working now.”

 

“Chanyeol, we should get back to our game.” Kai says tonelessly. He’s staring at us with a stony expression. “Let’s go.”

 

“Wait, Kai.” Chanyeol looks back at me. “I saw the ball hit your back. Are you alright?”

 

“I’ll be fine.”

 

He gives me a small smile and gently rubs my back. “Don’t forget to call me if you need anything, okay?”

 

“Thanks.” I grin. “I’ll see you. You better beat everyone in your volleyball game.”

 

The sound of a ball being slammed onto the ground reaches my ears. Chanyeol and I turn around and see Kai stalking away from the volleyball court.

 

“Oppa, where are you going?” Jaemi calls shrilly, running after him.

 

“I’m not in the mood to play anymore.” Kai growls.  

 

Everyone exchanges uncomfortable looks.

 

“He sure is pissed.” Baekhyun mutters.

 

Yuna groans. “Let’s give him some time to simmer down. Then we can start again.” She throws me an ugly look. “I hope you’re happy.”

 

“Sojin didn’t do anything,” Chanyeol argues. “Kai messed with her first.”

 

“Whatever.” Yuna flips her hair and marches away.


A/N: ah, kai's jealousy continues