Chapter 25

Don't Love Me

Part 2 of the Christmas Eve double update! Enjoy :)


The contract signing doesn’t change much on the outside. Our lab has to follow some new protocol, I have to report up to a head scientist at Kim Biotech (thankfully, he’s one of Dr. Ahn’s old friends and is very nice), and there are a few company meetings I have to attend.

 

Inside, I’m crushed.

 

The reason I left Kim Biotech in the first place is because I got sick of depending on Kai’s family for my income. My old team was wonderful, but severing all ties with the Kims was my best option. But Kai just disregarded all the hard work I put in studying and starting my own laboratory. He threw aside everything I’d done and simply returned me to Kim Biotech- just because he knew it would have a terrible effect on me.

 

Dr. Yoon, Dr. Do, Dr. Smith, and Saemi said they didn’t blame me. They were disgusted at Kai for stooping so low as to threaten to cut off our research grants. But I’m still so very upset.

 

I’m attending a conference on Friday at the Kim Biotech offices. Kai is sitting at the front of room, revising our company plans for the next quarter. It’s amazing how capable he can be when he chooses to. Everyone in the room respects his firm leadership and intelligent strategies... including me.

 

After the meeting ends, an executive suggests that we go get dinner.

 

“Good idea,” Kai says. “Dr. Park, would you like to choose where we eat?”

 

“It doesn’t matter to me,” I reply calmly. Why is he being so gracious?

 

“Very well, then. How about Italian?” Several people murmur their assent and Kai smiles, his eyes twinkling.

 

I resist the urge to smile. It’s like he knows Italian is my favorite kind of food.

 

We end up going to a small but cozy restaurant in Gangnam, complete with red checkered tablecloths and candles held in wine glasses. By some unfortunate turn of events Kai and I end up sitting next to each other. Am I the only one feeling nervous? His face betrays no emotion but a slight smile.

 

“So, CEO Kim, tell us more about yourself,” a tall woman sitting at the opposite end of the table suggests. “We haven’t gotten to really know you.”

 

I don’t look up, but my ears are alert. As I wrap some spaghetti neapolitan around my fork I listen to Kai as he speaks.

 

“I originally wanted to get a phD in mathematics, but my father suggested that I go into business. He did want me to take over the business.”

 

The corners of my lips tug upwards. Kai would want to go into math. He excelled in everything, but he was truly a math prodigy. Plus it was his favorite subject.

 

“Is it true that you were Vice President of Kim Biotech when you were 15?” another man questions. “I almost couldn’t believe it myself! When I checked the records, though, the time when you were VP caused some of the largest increases for profit and stocks for Kim Biotech.”

 

“Thank you.” Kai replies genially. “Yes, I was. But... I quit afterwards. I think everyone around me was worried that my intelligence was getting too far ahead of myself.”

 

The woman who asked the first question beams. “So you went to high school? How was that? I bet a handsome man like you had a special girlfriend, eh?”

 

My fork drops to my plate with a clang!

 

“Excuse me,” I cough, bowing my head in apology.

 

Kai spares me a swift glance before saying, “Unfortunately, I was a little... immature in high school. The girl I loved despised me, with good reason.” He chuckles softly. “She was a smart one.”

 

My face betrays none of the thoughts swirling inside my head. So Kai finally realized that he was absolutely detestable towards me.

 

That doesn’t change the fact that he didn’t apologize to me. And he still purchased ParkBio, although he knew I was completely against it.

 

“Dr. Park?” Kai is studying me. “Are you feeling alright?”

 

“I’m feeling perfectly fine, thank you,” I reply coldly. The mood of the table suddenly shifts from friendly to uncomfortable. “Please, continue eating. Your lasagna does look appetizing.”

 

“Please, relax, Dr. Park. There’s no need to be so terse.”

 

What is Kai playing at? “Thank you, sir.”

 

“Er, Dr. Park, have you heard of the additional funding CEO Kim approved for your labs?” One of the executives sitting at the table asks, trying to diffuse the tension.

 

“I haven’t.” I turn back to Kai. “Would you care to explain?”

 

Kai nods. “I studied your research documentation a few nights ago, and noticed that your muscular dystrophy analysis could be further researched. Sequencing the genome of a certain area would possibly help identify polymorphisms.”

 

“Wow, CEO Kim,” an executive says in awe. “You studied another subject, yet you know so much about biology.”

 

“I run a biotechnology company. It wouldn’t be good if I didn’t know anything about the subject.” Kai smiles wryly.

 

“Yes, that’s true.” I tell him, ignoring the executive. “But we didn’t have the funds or the equipment to proceed-,”

 

“Now you do.” Kai cuts me off. “I was planning to deliver the good news to your team tomorrow morning. But I suppose the cat’s out of the bag.”

 

Despite my will, a wide grin spreads across my face. We have funding! I can’t believe he would actually help us out like this!

 

“I told you,” Kai murmurs, low enough that no one other than me can hear him, “that Kim Biotech purchasing your labs would benefit you as well.”

 

“Thank you,” I tell him sincerely. “I... I really appreciate it, Ka- I mean, CEO Kim.”

 

He gives me another lingering look before questioning, “Do you like the spaghetti?”

 

“I do.”

 

“I’m happy to hear that.”

 

And we both look away from each other.


A/N: OMG everyone hates Kai so much it's kind of funny xD I guarantee you (well I hope), in the next few chapters he won't seem as bad anymore...