Chapter 24

Don't Love Me

Part 1 of the Christmas Eve double update! Hope you have a great Christmas :)


“Are you feeling better?” Saemi asks gently as she my hair. I’ve been lying facedown in bed for the past 30 minutes.

 

“Yeah,” I murmur, my voice stifled by my pillow.

 

“What happened back there? Does it have to do with Kim Kai?”

 

I don’t reply.

 

“You’ll feel a lot better if you spill, you know.”

 

Rolling around on my back, I look up at Saemi. She’s holding a mug of hot chocolate, which she hands to me.

 

“Thanks,” I smile. “It’s nothing, Saemi, really. I just used to know that guy when we were in school.”

 

Saemi gasps in realization. “Oh, I get it! He was the rich popular guy that you had a crush on, right? But he never noticed you! But you still like him!”

 

“Er... sure.” It’ll be a lot easier agreeing with Saemi as opposed to explaining the truth.

 

“That’s so cute!” Saemi chirps. “Don’t worry, you two will be seeing each other more and more.  Our lab has worked with Kim Biotech in the past.”

 

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of. “Yeah, you’re right.”

 

“Now get up! We still haven’t eaten dinner. Let’s go out and eat!”


 

The following Monday, I receive an email from a sender from Kim Biotech.

 

Hello Dr. Park,

As a part of new strategies to advance Kim Biotechnologies, our new Chief Executive Officer has invited you to a business conference tomorrow at noon. Topics for discussion will be expansion of Kim Biotechnologies and how our company can help your lab.

We await your response. Thank you.

Minjae Hyun

Senior Office Correspondent

 

“What’s wrong?” Everyone on my team comes sprinting into my office.

 

“Dr. Park, I heard a scream!” Dr. Yoon exclaims. “What happened?”

 

Wordlessly, I point at my computer screen. Everyone crowds around and reads the email.

 

“CEO Kim wants to have a conference with you? Ooh, I’m sorry.” Saemi says sympathetically.

 

“It’s not that, Saemi,” Dr. Do murmurs. “Read carefully. Expansion of Kim Biotechnologies.

 

Saemi blanches. “You can’t possibly mean-,”

 

“They want to buy ParkBio,” I whisper.

 

“Can’t we just say no?” Dr. Smith suggests. “You own this lab, Dr. Park. You can choose to do what you want.”

 

“No, I don’t wholly own this lab,” I say. “When I first opened ParkBio, I got grants and loans from several companies.”

 

“Oh, no,” Dr. Smith claps a hand over . “One of the companies was Kim Biotech, wasn’t it?”

 

“They gave us the largest loan, which I planned to pay off in several years,” I reply miserably. “In addition, the former CEO was so gracious as to purchase a vast number of stocks as well. They own a large percentage of our company. Kim Biotech can do whatever they want with us.”

 

There is utter silence in the room.

 

“Why bother holding a business conference with us? They can do whatever they want with ParkBio,” Dr. Yoon says tonelessly.

 

“Why is Kim Biotech doing this? They were one of our staunchest allies, in both science and business.” Dr. Do curls his lip.

 

I think I know why. Kai wants revenge. He knows me; he knows I pride myself on being independent. I’m sure he asked around: why did Park Sojin open her own lab? Why didn’t she work for a big company?

 

Oh, she’s always wanted to open her own lab, people would have replied. She was offered several positions with Kim Biotech and Han Hospitals and other companies, but Dr. Park prefers being her own boss.

 

Did he devise this plan to take me down?

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll make sure this doesn’t happen.” I state firmly. “Kim Biotech will never take over our labs.”

 


 

“Good morning. You must be Park Sojin.”

 

I give the receptionist a terse nod. “I had an appointment with CEO Kim at noon.”

 

“Yes. He presses a button, and an elevator dings in the corner of the lobby. “Please go on up. Mr. Kim’s office is located on the 23rd floor, 3rd door on the left.

 

“Thank you.” And I march away.

 


 

“Come in,” a smooth voice says after I knock on the door.

 

“Good afternoon,” I say blandly, walking into the office. Kai is sitting up straight at his desk, looking crisp in his suit and tie. Judging from the way it fits perfectly on his body, it must be custom made. Only expected of Kim Jongin.

 

“Dr. Park.” Kai stands up to shake my hand. “I presume you know why you are here. Correct?”

 

“Indeed, and I’m certain you know my answer.” I reply coolly. “I am completely against ParkBio becoming a part of Kim Biotechnologies.”

 

“Oh, yes. I was informed of that by my father, actually. He seemed to admire your self-reliant personality. However, I believe both of our companies could benefit greatly from this.”

 

I take a seat in front of Kai’s desk. “On the contrary, you have little to gain from purchasing my labs. It would be a costly, time-consuming venture to take over a laboratory this small.”

 

“I think not.” Kai gives me a smile that doesn’t reach his eyes. “The scientists of ParkBio have been able to gather an astounding amount of research in a very short time. You are very talented indeed.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

He knows he has me trapped in a corner. And he is fully enjoying this.

 

“Dr. Park, you are aware of the fact that this meeting is just a cordiality?” He leans back in his chair. “I’m aware of Kim Biotech and ParkBio’s financial relationship. If you don’t hand over your labs, we will cut off all financial aid towards you. I will also call for immediate reimbursement of our loans... money you don’t have.”

 

“Ah. Blackmail.” I give him a look full of bitter amusement. “As expected of Kim Kai.”

 

The tension in the room is so thick, you could cut it with a knife.

 

“You’re still maintaining a cool facade, I see.” he remarks. “I’d forgotten how emotionless you were. Like a robot.”

 

“And I’ve never forgotten how cruel you were.” I exhale slowly. “Even today, you’re manipulating me using the things I loved the most: science. My job.”

 

“Even in high school, you were only obsessed with working.” Kai scoffs. “When will you learn to loosen up?

 

“I was obsessed with working because it was my only respite from you."

 

Instead of getting louder and louder, our voices have softened with every sentence. The cold fury in his eyes mirrors my own.

 

Everything is always perfect until Kai shows up. It was like that in high school, too.

 

“I expect you in my office tomorrow at 9 to sign the contract.” Kai commands.

 

Before I leave, I turn back around to face him. “Why... are you really doing this?”

A smirk spreads across his face. “I’m just trying to help both our companies.”

 


A//N: I'm double-updating today! Merry Christmas!

And oh my GOD do you remember how last chapter I said how it would be great if I had a laptop so I could sit by the fireplace and wite

GUESS WHAT I'M WRITING ON NOW

THAT'S RIGHT IT'S MY OWN LAPTOP

AND GUESS WHERE I AM

THAT'S RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FIREPLACE

unfortunately i have a cold