Chapter 20

Don't Love Me

We arrived safely in Seoul a few days later. I wasn’t sitting next to Kai this time, however. Which is good.

 

Because I’ve been avoiding him.

 

I haven’t talked to him since the night of our bet. Even now, weeks after our trip, the only words I’ve spoken to Kai are about school assignments. He seemed taken aback at first. Was he expecting something to change after our night? Was he expecting me to act closer towards him?

 

Not happening. I won’t.

 

Gradually, he started ignoring me as well. I’m grateful he stopped teasing me and talking to me. Kai finally got the hint.

 

The farther he stays away from me, the sooner I can forget about him.

 


 

Time passes. The crisp, colorful autumn leaves flutter to the ground. The weather turns chilly, and then begins to warm up again. My birthday passes in a flurry of excitement. Senior prom comes and goes. Dr. Zhang is promoted to the head of the entire Research Department. Luna gets a boyfriend. I am admitted into Seoul University’s prestigious science department.

 

Yet I still can’t stop thinking about Kai.

 

He’s found several other girls to play with. They all love the attention they’re getting, squealing every time Kai teases them. One by one, he goes through them. Constantly laughing. Having fun.

 

The few times we’ve passed each other in the halls, or come face-to-face, we blatantly look away. He’s too busy laughing with one of his friends to notice me, anyway.

 

I’m going crazy. Why do I care so much about Kai? He’s finally left me alone! I should be overjoyed!

 

But my heart hurts.

 

You’re graduating in a few more months, Sojin. Soon, Kai will be nothing but a distant memory.

 


 

Graduation day.

 

“Hello, alumni, visitors, families.” Principal Shin says grandly. “We are here to present the Graduating Class of Seoul Private Academy. Thank you for attending this momentous occasion.”

 

Applause. The crowd looks so happy, as does every student in my class. Some people are crying already- namely Chanyeol, who’s sitting right next to me.

 

I smile and squeeze his hand. “We haven’t even gotten our diplomas yet, but you’re crying already?” I tease gently.

 

“B-but... this is our last time that all of us are going to be together in school again,” Chanyeol whimpers. “We’re going to college. We’ll start having real responsibilities. And we’ll never see each other!”

 

“I don’t care about any of these people,” I shrug. “They hated me, I hated them. And the people that really matter- you, Luna, Sulli, Krystal, Amber, Victoria- I’ll stay in touch with.”

 

A pang hits my stomach. Someone else matters to me. However, I will not be staying in touch with him.

 

I’ll never see him again after today.

 

After a drab ceremony where the principal calls out names of everyone and hands them their diploma, he announces, “Now, our class valedictorian will make her speech. Please welcome Miss Park Sojin.”

 

Principal Shin nods his head towards me. I stand up and walk on the podium, taking the microphone from him.

 

“Good afternoon, everyone. Thank you for attending our graduation ceremony.”

 

I am about to begin reciting the speech I prepared last week. It was a standard speech. Full of empty lies about how high school life was refreshing. How we had to advance further, accomplish something in the future.

 

And then I take a look at the faces of my peers.

 

Except for my friends and Luna’s boyfriend, everyone is looking at me in contempt, mockery, disregard. There is no respect in their faces. My eyes trail over the rows of seats until I find one particular person.

 

Kai isn’t even looking at me. Instead, he’s playing footsie with the girl sitting next to him. Both of their hands are hidden in questionable places.

 

You know what? it. I might as well go out with a bang.

 

“To be honest, I’m surprised I got the title of valedictorian. I’ve had the top grades every single year. I’ve worked hard every night, juggling a biotech internship with hours of school work. But I was missing the one thing which didn’t allow me to fully succeed here.”

 

I stare out into the audience. “Money.”

 

Murmurs rise from the crowd. Wealth is supposed to be a taboo topic, only discussed surreptitiously at dinner parties. It is simply not discussed in public.

 

Well, now it is.

 

“The government and our society rave about everyone getting a fair chance. People of all ethnicities and places should be able to hold positions of power and go to university. And that’s incredibly important. But that it won’t happen unless the gap between the rich and poor are bridged. When you have money, you gain influence. With influence, you can do anything.”

 

“What if you attend a school where everyone has power, while you’re just a normal citizen? You get trampled. So you try to fight to survive. You tell yourself that you’ll succeed in the classroom. Maybe then you’ll be on par with your affluent classmates.”

 

I have everyone’s full attention right now. Principal Shin is hovering between screaming and pushing me off the stage. Instead, he merely sinks down into his chair.

 

“But they still look down on you. Why? Because they can buy their way anywhere they want. Want to go to Oxford University? Don’t bother getting good grades; Daddy can buy your admission. Want to start your own business? The risks don’t matter; our family has billions anyway. Your hard work is disregarded.”

 

Kai’s stopped flirting. He’s staring at the grass, an impassive expression on his face.

 

“And when the most powerful person commands people to do something, they all blindly follow,” I continue, staring straight at Kai. “The teachers, the administrators, the students- everyone. Even if it’s bullying a girl nonstop for 2 years, for no reason at all.”

 

He meets my eyes. I hold his gaze for a moment and then look away.

 

“In conclusion, thank you for allowing me to be valedictorian. I thought someone whose parents had donated more money to Seoul Private Academy would’ve gotten the title instead. Have a good life.”

 

And I walk off the stage.

 

The crowd is dead silent. Every individual is gaping at me.

 

Did she really just say that?

 

Park Sojin had the guts to make that speech?

 

How dare she!

 

“Sojin...,” Chanyeol murmurs in awe as I sit back down. “I... whoa.”

 

“I’d like to make it clear that I wasn’t addressing you, of course.” I tell him.

 

Chanyeol nods. “I know, but what if you get in trouble?”

 

“What’re they going to do? Take away my scholarship?”

 

“But they own all the big businesses. If you’re seeking a job in the future... it may be hard.” He bites his lip nervously.

“Don’t worry about me.” I smile. “I’m a lot stronger than you think.”

 


A/N: It was so fun writing this chapter! Honestly, what Sojin said in her speech was true. A large disparity between wealthy and poor parts of society will lead to unrest, a screwed up economy, and an even smaller chance for less richer people to rise up. What if you were super smart but not that wealthy, but you couldn't get a good job because richer people were able to secure the jobs through money/a higher status?

Kai and Sojin aren't on speaking terms :((

Hint for the future: It's a time skip!

Hope you guys are enjoying so far! :)