Chapter 7

Don't Love Me

With the blink of an eye the first month of the happiest summer of my life quickly flies by. My days are filled with DNA replication research, late night cake binges with Victoria, Krystal, Amber, Sulli, and Luna, and entertaining company dinners with Dr. Zhang and the rest of the team. The lack of Kai in my life has allowed me to progress into a happy, light-hearted teenager who honestly loves life.

 

But I have been confronted with one internal conflict: is it right for me to be enjoying myself as a paid intern at Kai’s family’s company? My sworn enemy and bully is basically the prime source of my income. He built Kim Biotech to what it is today- and I’m benefitting from it.

 

I choose to ignore that question every time it arises in my head, however.

 

One warm July evening, a few weeks after the banquet, I’m centrifuging DNA from a bacterial cell when someone enters the laboratory. “Miss Kim?” a man in a business suit calls in a bland voice.

 

When I walk over to him he hands me a large cream envelope with a purple seal embossed on the corner. “CEO Kim would like to personally invite you to dinner at his estate this Saturday. He hopes to see you there.”

 

The man promptly exits, leaving me standing in the middle of the laboratory, shocked.

 

“I’m taking a bathroom break,” I tell Dr. Zhang, and rush out the door. Once I’ve found an empty area I tear open the envelope and read the letter sealed inside.

 

It contains standard information: the time, date, and location of the dinner. At the very bottom is a little note.

 

“I am pleased with your work as one of the most promising interns our company has seen. My family and I would be pleased to have you for dinner.”

 

Mr. Kim's signature and seal are printed at the bottom of the letter.

 

“Dang,” I say, a smile spreading across my face. CEO Kim himself just invited me to dinner! What an honor.

 

When I’m rereading the sentence, however, a certain sentence pops out at me.

 

“My family and I would be pleased to have you for dinner.”

 

My family.

 

As far as I know, CEO Kim’s family only consists of him and his son.

 

Kai.

 

The rush of joy which had filled my insides abruptly exits my body, replaced with dread instead. What should I do? If I tell the CEO I can’t go, he may be displeased, even offended. However, if I do go I’ll have to possibly dine with Kai.

 

I bite my lip, contemplating my options for a few moments.

 

Then I dial the number on the letter.

 

“This is Mr. Kim’s office, how may I help you?” a cool voice asks.

 

“Hi, this is Park Sojin. I would like to inform Mr. Kim that I will be able to attend dinner at his house this Saturday.”

 


 

CEO Kim took the liberty of sending a private to my apartment to drive me to dinner at his house. “This is so nice,” I murmur as I eye the smooth black Bentley, equipped with a chauffeur, refreshments, and an incredible sound system. Carefully readjusting my black faux-wrap (borrowed from Krystal, of course), I take a seat in the backseat and help myself to some Fiji water.

 

This is my second time at the Kim mansion, yet I’m still amazed by the beauty of this house. The chauffeur drops me off near the front of the house, then comes around to my side and proffers his arm to me inside.

 

“Oh, that’s alright,” I chuckle nervously, and he shrugs. I follow the chauffeur into the house and am greeted by a row of neatly dressed servants.

 

“Sir is waiting for you inside the private dining area,” one of the ladies informs me in a prim voice. She gestures for me to follow her. My nerves go crazier and crazier as we are walking. What if I embarrass myself? Or end up getting into a fight with Kai? What if Kai embarrasses me?

 

“We’re here.” The maid opens the grand oak door. Taking a deep breath, I step inside the dining room.

 

A great crystal chandelier twinkles above me, illuminating the smooth ivory walls. I see large portrait of a vase of flowers hangs right above a shiny gold fireplace. In the middle of the room is a long, dark table, candles placed in the middle.

 

A sole figure sits at the end of the table, staring at me with a smirk on his face.

 

“Kai.” I shoot him a frosty glare. “Where is everyone else?”

 

“Out,” he says in a smarmy tone. Despite myself I can’t help but notice how attractive he looks in his crisp black suit and tie. His hair is mussed up just the right amount, giving him an aura that screams “I’m-too-cool-for-this”. It irritates me how some of the people with the worst personalities have the best looks- Kai being the best example.

 

“What do you mean by out? I thought Mr. Kim invited me.”

 

“Mr. Kim invited you- but not the Mr. Kim you were thinking.”

 

My mouth falls open. “You invited me to dinner? Wha-how-you don’t have the authority to do that!”

 

Kai turns to a small, wrinkly man standing near the door. “Joon, tell Sojin who I am.”

 

“Mr. Kim Kai is the son of one of the richest men in the world,” Joon tells me dully. “He is powerful and has the authority to do anything he wants.”

 

“Thank you, Joon. Now why don’t you sit down and have dinner, Sojin?” Kai stands up from his seat and walks over to me. The triumph in his face is evident. “I wouldn’t want you to regret not doing so.”

 

“Just because you’re rich doesn’t give you the right to do whatever you want,” I hiss. “You’ve screwed up my life enough. What more can you do?”

 

“Hmm... how about cancel your internship with Kim Biotech?”

 

“You wouldn’t,” I whisper.

 

“Oh, I don’t know, Sojin.” He laughs darkly, running a finger down my arm. “I can make it happen.”

 

Bastard.

 

I hate him.

 

I hate him so much.

 

But I have no choice.

Swallowing my pride, I take a seat at the table.


A/N: Thank you so much for reading my story everyone! You guys are wonderful, and don't forget to have a great day!

Right now the weather forecast is predicted frozen rain/snow for my city tomorrow- which means we might not have to come to school. I don't trust the weather people, though- one time, the forecast predicted snow so I woke up late but THERE WAS NO SNOW and I ended up being late to tennis practice.

Sad life.