case 6 - 5

Karma

I had the weirdest dream yet. There was a rogue reaper with blue eyes that then transformed into one with white eyes and I somehow ended flying on top of a golden eagle above what looked like my old hometown. I had been awake for five minutes, but I was too dumbfounded after that dream to open my eyes. Finally, I did it and the first thing I saw were Daesung’s blonde locks shining gold from the sunset outside.

“Grandma...” his voice was soft and I couldn’t help smiling like a fool. Finally, my ears were given a peaceful approach and I did not have to shove Daesung off the window. I turned my back to him, pulled the blanket over my head and tried to get back to that dream. “Erm... grandma?” he touched my shoulder and lightly shook me.

“Five more minutes...” I murmured.

“If you stay one more second in that bed, you’re going to sleep on the snow!”

I shot up straight right away at the sound of Yuri’s voice. It was in my blood. Even after years and years, I still couldn’t help myself when that stern woman commanded me. I got out of the bed, fixed my hair and waited. Yuri rolled her eyes from the door's frame and left.

“Man grandma...” Daesung snickered behind me “you’re that easy?”

I grabbed a pillow and smashed it against his face. Daesung coughed and massaged his nose.

“What happened?” I couldn’t remember how I got back in the house.  Then again, that dream felt too real. Way too real... maybe a little twisted. Ugh, can’t I get a break? I mentally slapped myself. I asked for one countless of times, received it and I still can’t stop whining about it.

What an ungrateful I became. Well, at least I admit it.

“You screamed and then you fainted,” Daesung worryingly said as handed me a mirror. “And... you look funny.”

Funny for Daesung could mean anything – from the way my lipstick smudged over my cheek, to the way my face resembled an animal. With the mirror safe in my hands, I tried to see if he was talking about the cut on my cheek. It wasn’t there anymore. Instead, one of my orbs was as blue as a Siberian Husky’s.

“ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! WHAT DID THAT REAPER DO TO ME?!”

“I think you’re cute!”

Daesung got another smooch from the pillow.

 

---

 

“Your relationship is extremely abusing,” Jung Min pondered with a carrot fixed between his index and thumb “Why don’t you cut Daesung some slack?”

“If he slacks, he’ll do something stupid like five hundred years ago.”

“Still, you do not have to use violence all the time.”

“You’re a reaper that knows only violence.”

“When was I violent?!”

It was awkward watching Jung Min and Yuri argue over the way Yuri trained Daesung. And it felt even stranger that I kind of agreed... but when it came to the way I treat Daesung. Am I also the kind to first throw fists and afterwards decide if that was a good idea or not? Daesung chewed on his rice near me and I couldn’t help notice that he didn’t care that much about their fight.

“Are they always like this?”

Daesung shrugged and returned to his food. “They were like that in the past, I’m used to it.”

I sighed. I didn’t know which side to take. I love them both just as much. Just then, Jung Min pointed at me.

“Sooyoung agrees with me that it’s too much!” ...what? No, no, please don’t do this.

“Hah! She hates your kind just as much. Look at her eye! It happened because of you rotten reapers!” ...eh? No, that’s not true. It could have been any supernatural creature.

“It’s not our fault that she touched a Keeper!”

“What’s a Keeper?” they stared at me. Their intense gazes made me drop my spoon and slowly get off the chair in order to run back upstairs in case they were planning to murder me. Yuri then turned to Jung Min and waited for the answer.

“I cannot say,” he muttered.

“Why not?!”

“We are not allowed to talk about the Orders. I will be labeled rogue if I dare do that.”

“There’s nobody here!” Yuri screamed. Daesung put his chopsticks aside and joined me off the chair. “Who can know?” Jung Min looked around paranoid and refused to answer. His stubbornness infuriated Yuri even more. “You should have died and stayed dead!” Yuri stormed out of the kitchen and out the front door. She slammed it so hard behind her, the water in my glass trembled for a while.

Jung Min stared blankly. He didn’t move from his spot.

“...that never happened,” Daesung whispered to himself.

 I hate being in the middle. It was too much drama for my taste.

“Hey Jung Min...” the reaper watched me come closer. His eyes were bloody red. “She didn’t mean it.”

“I don’t care,” he spit those words with anger. “She’s right.” Jung Min pushed me aside and headed towards the stairs.

“She’s not...” I bit my lip. I promised not to cry.

“Sooyoung,” Daesung patted my back “Let them be. Seungri will be here soon to pick the reaper, let’s deal with this afterwards.”

“What reaper?” I choked on my words. Good thing that Daesung couldn’t see me.

“The rogue reaper... or Keeper, whatever he is. We locked him in the basement.”

“Wake me up when Seungri comes.”

“What?”

I ran to the stairs while wiping my new blue eye. I hope that color wouldn’t stay long because I hate it.

I didn’t see back then Daesung’s shadowed face. I should have paid more attention to his feelings, now shouldn’t have I?

Before I could grab the door’s handle and enter my bedroom, I heard a familiar voice spiraling with my thoughts.

“Please, help me,” it was the rogue reaper “I can’t move. Don’t let them take me. Please.”

My arms dropped around my body. It was getting darker. Seungri would arrive near midnight if I was right. That was the best hour for a legion of reapers to come collect their belongings. Daesung wouldn’t fall asleep until then. Yuri left who knows where and Jung Min cannot take down another reaper with a missing wing.

“Please...”

I... had to help him. And maybe then, he could explain what’s wrong with my eye, what’s wrong with everything and maybe... answer a few questions that pestered me for a while. And, as he said, he could look in my past... does that mean that he could also tell me what happened those three years?

I had to first knock Daesung cold and steal Seungri’s wing from his necklace. Haha, that’s too easy.