case 9 - 5

Karma

My fist went through Seungri’s face like a silver bullet. Before the reaper’s knees could hit the ground, I grabbed his arm and swung him around. I let go when Seungri’s body faced Byung Hee. He flew straight into the Keeper. Daesung jumped in time away from their side. My wrath only grew when I saw both of them crawling on their hands, trying to get up.

“SIT. DOWN.” The voice echoed throughout the clearing as white vines chained the reapers together. I felt the anger through my body. And all I could think about was ripping their ing throats, but that was too kind of me. They should be tortured, drained of every last bit of energy, feel how awful it was to die again... they should suffer more than any human had suffered throughout their life, those ed up asses and their whole kind with their fu---

“Calm down,” I stopped and stared at Daesung. He didn’t speak, but he did look quite terrified. With great hope, I turned my head in Yuri’s direction.

Her lifeless body was cradled at his chest.

Braided black locks with feathers, a long black coat which was covered in more dark brown feathers and dark eyes mixed with a weak smile welcomed me. If I hadn’t shed enough tears already, then I had been harboring a stream all along inside my orbs as I sobbed some more. Trampling the snow, I dashed in his direction.

 “JUNG MIN!” I couldn’t bear it anymore and had to hear him talk again, to make sure nobody was playing with me.

“Snap out of it,” he ordered and I could see the distress in his expression. His fingers kept untangling Yuri’s hair as his clothes became stained with her blood. Jung Min gently caressed Yuri’s cheek. “Save her,” he pleaded without gazing away from her. “Please, save her. You can do it,” finally, Jung Min finally looked at me and I knew in that moment he wasn’t an illusion “Please.”

“But I...”

“Sooyoung!” he almost yelled. “Just do it!”

My fingers curled into a fist.

“There’s nothing I can do! I’m only human!”

Jung Min gently placed Yuri back on the snow. He got up and grabbed my wrist so tight, I expected his sharp nails to draw blood. Instead, his touch was warm. It was obviously out of the norm from the once frozen man that followed me around since a child. He shook his head and tried to push down the corners of his mouth. That bittersweet gesture frightened me.

“You’re not human,” he gravely spoke without a single break in his sentence “you’re a reaper.”

I pulled my hand away from his grasp.

“What the are you talking about?!”

“It takes three years in this world for a reaper to be born. You were gone for three years without a single trace. You do the math.”

“You can’t assume that just because I missed three years!” as much as I wanted to kick him, I couldn’t. “What do you mean I’m a reaper?!”

“I mean you’re a reaper and we all knew.” I froze. “But we didn’t want to tell you, didn’t want to...” he trailed off and avoided me. “There’s something different about you, I can feel it. The moment I saw you in the hospital, I knew you’re no longer human. You’re surely not a ghost, a demon or any creature. What else could you be? Yuri knew it too, Daesung too... we all...” he sighed “felt it.”

“But I...”

“On top of that,” Jung Min grabbed my shoulders “On top of that, I'm positive you’re a Keeper... or something similar to that. So you can heal Yuri, please...” he was desperate “please use your power on her like you had accidentally used them on me.”

Had... I really...? Had I been the cause of Jung Min’s sudden weird behavior? Had they all lied to me? Did they... really know? Did I feel any different from the moment I woke up? But, all my memories, are intact, so...

Ah, time was precious. Lies or not, I bent down and touched Yuri’s forehead. The same white energy twisted around my arm and covered Yuri’s body until it glowed. All of her wounds healed in a matter of seconds.

Yuri’s eyelids furiously fluttered as I stepped back and let the woman get up in a standing position and explore her surroundings with great confusion.

“...what the Hell just happened? I was sipping tea with my mother one second and now...”

Jung Min embraced her tightly and shut her up with a kiss.

It was good seeing them like that. It was really good.

“I’m sorry,” Daesung came by my side and smiled. “But it’s the truth... everything had been a big ol’ circus and you were the star of our chaos.”

“So I’m...” Daesung's eyebrows furrowed at my hesitation.

“Don’t say it, please,” he smiled brighter than before. “Just... don’t say it,” his voice cracked “Don’t say that you’re dead, you hear me? Because you’re not, okay? We still don't know...” he laughed before bursting into tears “...don't know what you are, okay?”

You know what’s the weirdest thing? When someone keeps complaining and uses crocodile tears to make you pay attention, you start to ignore them after a while. Or, worse, when their tears are real, when they come from something that disturbed them profoundly in order to reveal some truth among all the fake statements they’d been throwing most of their lives... it’s an odd sensation.

And when I saw Daesung right there, bawling in front of me, I felt helpless. When I saw him rub his eyes and brush the tears away with his sleeves, I felt useless. When I saw Daesung shake his head again and again, laugh it all away and try hard not to burst once more into tears, I did it for him.

Because deep down, I knew it was all over and I could never be with him.

“I’m sorry,” I told him and he bit his lips “I’m sorry too for being indifferent to your love.”

Daesung grabbed my head and kissed me. I let him do it, because at that time, I replied and kissed him back. He had to pull away, but I wanted more and kissed him again.

Yuri cleared his throat.

I felt flustered, Daesung too, as we patiently waited for her to speak.

She just smiled and wiggled her finger to her left “What about them?”

The two reapers, still tied together and with no escape, groaned. They probably had known too all along, but pretended not to. Too bad that they had to meet me in order to understand how bad it is to with an already ed up person.

Or whatever the Hell I was.


*still drinking after the dating news* /hiccups/ well... that escalated quickly. Jung Min is back, sniff <3