case 6 - 1

Karma

I rushed to see it with my own eyes. Another reaper was there with Jung Min, one that was probably cloaked from human view. I had to make sure my abilities were only affected when it comes to contacting ghosts and not other supernatural creatures. If it was true, then maybe I had never lost them in the first place. Maybe there was something wrong with the spirit’s world that swayed between ours and the other world. I was worried that might have been due to the demon’s plan. Since I was directly affected by whatever happened, I thought that that was a valid reason on why I was so freakin` worthless.

I dashed inside Yuri’s bedroom and stared at Jung Min’s back. The window was wide opened and despite the blizzard outside, snow didn’t come in. I thought that was strange. My eyes then landed on a beautiful white owl that turned its head towards me. Daesung caught up with me.

“Grandma!” he screamed in my ear.

“I’M NOT DEAF, YOU MORON!” I yelled back and smacked him over the head. The blonde apologized with an upset expression. His face beamed of joy when he saw the owl.

“Seungri!” he shouted, in my ear, again and ran to the window.

I didn’t know if the ringing in my head was because of that or something else. Jung Min grabbed me out of nowhere.

“Are you okay?”

I didn’t realize that I was holding my head. Yuri came not soon after.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! CLOSE THE DAMN WINDOW!” she screamed near me.

What a lovely family!

I made a mental note on what to put next on the shopping list: earplugs.

The owl suddenly morphed into a human, swiftly closed the window and bowed in front of Yuri. He grabbed her hand, placed a kiss over her delicate fingers and winked. Yuri slapped him across the room and into the wall. Well, that was fun to see.

“Wah, Yuri! Don’t hurt Seungri!” Daesung pleaded near the reaper whose name was Seungri. I guess. It could be a pet name or a nickname, something like that, but if Daesung called him Seungri, then so should I.

“Retract those wings first! You can hurt all of us with them!”

Wings? What wings? I stared again at Seungri as he got up from the floor, fixed his clothes and fixed his hairstyle. I couldn’t see wings anywhere.

“Really now,” he placed his hands in his pockets and glared at Yuri “That was just an excuse to hit me.” I couldn’t help but notice he was rather cocky. Not like I was surprised. We’re talking about reapers here. Cocky is their middle name because they probably miss something else between their legs. I sneered. “Whatcha laughing at?” he asked me and I hid behind Jung Min.

“That’s Sooyoung,” Daesung announced and pointed his finger at me. Didn’t anybody tell him that’s extremely rude? Seungri’s eyes, obviously heavy in make-up too, brightened at the mention of my name. He disappeared from the wall only to reappear in front of me. That lasted a millisecond and almost gave me a heart attack. I really should get used to it again.

“Oh, my! Miss Sooyoung!” Really? Another one? That rogue reaper with his ‘Madam’ made me hate all kinds of ‘Miss’ and ‘Misses’ put before my name. “It’s an honor to meet you!” Just as he was about to grab my hand and do the same trick with Yuri, Jung Min pushed him aside. “What?” Seungri gave Jung Min an innocent look. Jung Min gave him the stink eye.

“You know,” I mumbled “I’m pretty sure most guys wouldn’t try to do that with a girl when their father’s around.”

“What father?” I poked Jung Min’s arm. “Oh, I thought that was a joke.”

“No! A joke is when this cowboy enters a bar and...”

“Yeah, we get it Daesung.” Surprisingly, that wasn’t me. Jung Min was the one to cut Daesung's silly humour. “Tell them what you’ve told me.”

“Oh, right!” Seungri grinned and clapped his hands. “You, dear Jung Min, have a new mission!”

Except from Daesung who cheered more excited than a child at the circus, we kept a neutral approach. Seungri cleared his throat. I wanted to tell him that was pointless since he was kind of dead, but I opted for a closed mouth or I would have ended up yawning. Ah, so boring. I wonder if reapers were forced to take daily theatre classes or something. I don’t know how else they managed to act so dramatic every single time.

“You, as in the reaper Jung Min here along with his subalterns,” what did he call me?! Jung Min held me before I’d break Seungri’s face. “Need to capture a reaper classified as rogue that is in your vicinity.”

“Speak normal,” Yuri commanded and I could see the reaper squirm under her intense gaze.

“Fine, fine. There’s a rogue reaper around the city and we can’t track him at all. We figured that getting help from someone that knows a Priest or a Priestess might be better than wasting our time.”

“So we’re doing your dirty job,” Yuri concluded. Well, rogue reaper or not, dirty job or not, it didn’t sound that hard. I was ready for some action.

“Call it as you want,” Seungri rolled his eyes and dusted his shoulders. I wondered if he also flapped his wings because Yuri’s hand glowed red. “Alright, alright, I get it! I’ll keep them away!” Seungri said and furiously waved in his defense, trying to calm down the Priestess.

“What does he look like?” Jung Min left me behind to place himself between Seungri and Yuri.

I tried to tell Daesung to come near me and forget the wall, it wasn’t his girlfriend. He kept staring at Seungri with admiration.

I motioned him to come near. Daesung didn’t see me. I jumped and waved my arms. Seungri stared weirdly at me while Daesung’s mouth kept wide open and a drool almost slipped down his chin.

“Anyway...” Seungri ignored everything and cleared his throat again. Can he just stop doing that? “Be careful, he’s an old reaper.” Well, I had encountered other old reapers and that had nothing to do with their power. “He regained his memories,” that sounds okay to me. “Also, he has two demon blades,” well, that didn’t sound too nice “And he was kind of a Keeper, so...”

What the heck is a Keeper?

Jung Min’s face darkened. I bet nothing good, that’s for sure.

“It’s too dangerous, we cannot take it.”

“Sorry, it’s a high order. So you either do it or you die.”

Daesung finally snapped out of his daydreaming, wiped his mouth and blinked.

“We die?”

“No, we do not,” Yuri spoke with the same confidence that never left her. “We’ll take it.”