case 10 / END

Karma

“Mommy, look!” Changmin waved his arms and then fell on the snow. He started making a snow angel. By the time I got to his side, he stretched his hands for me to grab and lift him. We watched the angel and grinned together.

“It’s pretty!”

“It’s mommy!” Changmin proudly said as he pointed to the snow angel. “Mommy’s that.”

“Then, am I pretty too?”

Changmin covered his face as he blushed and violently shook his head. He opened wide his mouth, “MOMMY IS THE BEST!” and screamed, for the second time, in my ear. Good to know that, good to know.

I nuzzled his hair and carried the kid to our half-built snowman.

“Whatcha doing?” Jung Min landed near us, hid his wings and patted Changmin’s head. The kid just watched and further hid at my chest with his thumb and index blocking his nostrils. “Oh, right...” he stepped back. “Sorry. I forget he can smell me.”

“We all can,” I mumbled “just that you’re sometimes sweet and sometimes plain horrible.”

“The perks of being a reaper,” he shrugged and started helping us finish that snowman.

It was beginning to grow darker when we finally did it. I removed the scarf from around my neck and lent it to the snowman. We called him Deer because he had two black eyes made of rocks.

“LA-LI-HO!” Daesung greeted as he came out from the forest, bearing gifts. Changmin dashed to his father. The still-blond man got his kid up and we all entered the house. “Have you been nice?”

“YEEEEES!” Changmin yelled. Daesung sat him at the table, searched through the bag and gave him some chocolate. I should have said something, but since Changmin’s birthday was around midnight, I let it go. Daesung and Jung Min unpacked everything, while I searched through the smaller bag and got the camera out. “Oh, the photos are there too!” I sank my hand deeper and found a small envelope.

Taking it out, I opened to see those photos. It must have been around four or more years since we took them.

The first were of random objects around the house, Yuri’s finger when Daesung tried to take a photo of her and some blank spaces. I figured Jung Min was supposed to be there.

Sigh.

The last two photos were identical because they were of us posing in front of the camera. Jung Min appeared in both – guess he remembered to switch to full human mode then – but that wasn’t what made me gasp.

“Ya... Daesung?” the blond hurried at my call. I showed him the picture.

“What the...?” There, in the last one, there was an uninvited guest. “I... know him.”

“You do?”

“It’s Jaejoong... he gave me my powers when we first met and helped me a couple of times, I mean....”

I snatched the photo back from him and stared again.

“Why didn’t we know he was there?”

“Mommy...?” we turned to Changmin who was staring again out the window.

“What is it sweetie?”

“...why is the sky falling?”

“The sky can’t fall, honey... are you sure it’s not snow?” Changmin turned to us and nodded.

Daesung was the first to also check the window. “....Sooyoung,” he breathed “you must see this.” He went to the door, opened it and went outside. Yuri came with Jung Min from the kitchen. I rushed Changmin to Yuri’s side while I and Jung Min followed Daesung out.

And, indeed, the sky was falling.

It looked like a meteorite shower, but too bright and big to be one.

“Reapers...” Jung Min’s red eyes scanned the sky “...they’re all reapers, Carriers to be exact... burning Carriers.”

“But... how?” Daesung gasped.

“...Death.”

That bastard finally did it... Death started to clean the spheres.

There was so much at stake right now... couldn’t he have waited a little longer? Changmin and Yuri watched the orange sky from the stairs.

My heart tightened.

You really need to be careful when making decisions because karma truly is a .



 

My eyes are red as Jung Min's right now... almost 4AM and starving /sighs. Epilogue coming right up n___n I wonder if I'll have the energy for some A/N or not.