case 8 - 4

Karma

I hardly remember anything during the time I was possessed. My memories were fragmented badly, but there were some instances when I momentarily took control back. I saw once a cute girl bouncing around and calling me Mistress Yuri. I found out her name was Sooyoung and I had apparently taken her in my care. I didn’t understand why, but there was something about her which drew me in an instant. What shocked me was her sunny smile, similar in fashion to Jung Min’s. Maybe I had really gone crazy. I could hear the demon whisper in my brain every single day, saying how he could kill the girl and that I would be at fault. Still extremely weak, even after years, I couldn’t do a thing about it.

I became a spectator in my own body. Not only had I lost my lover, my best friend and my baby, but I had also lost any right to live as I pleased. I wanted to raise Sooyoung as the child I had never been able to keep. At one point, I did consider her my precious adoptive daughter. Just as careful and slow, I could feel the fire inside me pulsating through my veins each passing day, intense and insanely hot. I thought it would only take one more week until I could blast that demon off me.

That was when Sooyoung ran scared to me and said she had seen a demon. Part of me wanted to shout that I had been connected with one the entire time, the other made me want to send her away from the destructive person I had became. Confused and heartbroken I had been again when Jung Min came out of nowhere to rescue the girl from agony. He didn’t recognize me. I knew in an instant he was a reaper, one that became attached to Sooyoung.

Every time he’d come, I’d say to myself there was nothing to mourn over. And every time he’d joke around with Sooyoung, I’d almost die of jealousy. That fed the demon more and more, until it became a hideous creature which couldn’t get enough of my energy. It the life force out of me, exhausting most of my resources. The day he had abused my powers once more, I felt my body disintegrating. The demon didn’t want to let go, so he did the unspeakable – he forced Sooyoung to burn me alive.

I had learned since a child that I cannot get burnt, no matter how much I tried. I’d become one with the flame and feed on its heat. I couldn’t warn Sooyoung that she was going to further fill the demon’s greed. Burning me alive meant restoring some of my wasted energy. I felt the fire spread over my skin, only for it to heal afterwards. The demon yelled and twisted in its sick pleasure.

All I could think about were Jung Min’s cold eyes. He didn’t care... because he didn’t know about us.

The following centuries had been dictated by a ruthless demon which posed as a legendary White Priestess. She was the reason for all of that crap and her powers were still strong enough to keep me as her personal guard dog. We hunted other Red Priestesses and Priests for their blood or hair, but none seemed to work with the demon’s spell. She figured it required a special kind of human, one forged of both a Priest and a Priestess.

The only one of that nature was my child, the one who should have disappeared for good. The demon announced me she had found one such child and her name was Sooyoung. That was when I figured out she had been my blood relative from the start. I don’t know if I was happy to have had the chance to raise her or regretful that she did not know the truth about Jung Min.

That was also the moment I decided that I was nobody’s puppet. I had to harvest enough energy, somehow weaken the demon and then kick him off me. I did so during the demon’s ritual, before I had out.

When I awoke, I was once more Yuri.

And Jung Min was my Jung Min.

Yet, I couldn’t start over or continue from where we had left. I pushed him away as much as I could, but the reaper wouldn’t budge. Jung Min should have never decided to stay again by my side. All I had offered him was more death.

 

---

 

The three reapers in front of me were struck by a bright lighting. They collapsed at my feet with white smoke. From it came Jessica who held her staff to her chest and smiled.

“Then I shall join you,” she turned her back to me and hit two more reapers with her staff. I did the same and kicked one into another. “Just keep that fire away from me.”

“Don’t worry,” I punched another before the burning blade slashed his skin “you’re too hot already.”

“Tsk,” Jessica sent a reaper flying into the ceiling “flirty as ever.”

“It’s in the family!” I admitted and retracted the blades in my arms. I grabbed onto Jessica’s body and kicked one reaper in the face. He twisted and missed Seungri by a centimeter. The Warrior wasn’t pleased at all.

“What is the meaning of this?”

“You can tell everyone they can kiss my !” Jessica pointed the staff in Seungri’s direction and drew some of my energy. She sent another of those strong lightings. Seungri crisscrossed his arms in front and resisted the attack. “You know...” she trailed off as we made a few step backwards “I’m not much of a fighter.”

“Don’t worry,” I came in front of her and released my flame blades again. “I’ve fought tougher guys.” Seungri rolled his eyes. He snapped his fingers and the same amount of fallen reapers appeared out of nowhere. “...sooo, you also have wings, right?”