case 10 - 0

Karma

I didn’t fully appreciate Jessica’s cottage until we permanently moved in. Somehow, the reaper activity slowed down in the last weeks. Carriers did their daily tasks while Seekers hunted ghosts here and there, but other than that, it was pretty quiet.

Guess Death got my message.

We went back to the city for a brief period, but all of us agreed it was better to retire in the mountains where innocents couldn’t be hurt if we were going to be attacked again. An incident like the one with the demon couldn’t repeat, so staying secluded in that area was better than nothing. Also, our house was kind of destroyed after Seungri’s men burst in. After we collected everything we could, we headed to the station. My forehead rested against the train window while Jung Min flew ahead to clear the path. It was exciting to see the magnificent golden eagle glide once more along us. 

I’m pretty sure the old man missed his freedom.

After installing ourselves in the cottage and cleaning the place up, it was quite cozy to live in. Yuri had her room while I shared one with Daesung. Human or not, I still felt sleepy at night and snoozed off easily. And Daesung sleeps like a corpse, so I had almost all the bed for myself.

Jun Min kept a watchful eye when the moon showed at dusk and went to explore the area at dawn. He also changed 180 degrees when around Daesung. He’d smack him, mock him or indirectly call him an idiot that doesn’t deserve his daughter as a lover. The blond didn’t seem to mind it too much as he rubbed Jung Min’s nerves with some stuff I knew nothing about. We laughed when Daesung told us of Jung Min’s affiliation with horses and how acquainted he was with stables.

Of course it was plain rude, but Jung Min deserved it and for once, he smiled again and patted his old friend on the back.

We had a late party for Yuri’s birthday and one day before mine, Jung Min pulled me to the side and asked if we could go get firewood together. I accepted and knowing well that there was going to be a yearly talk, I mentally prepared for what was about to come. That was the first time I felt weird about it. The day Jung Min died to protect Yuri was the day I was born. Guess there truly is a continuous circle which balances things out.

He stopped me in the middle of the forest. My arms were full with wood. He picked it up, laid it in the snow and patted my shoulders before he gave me a weary smile. I wanted to tell him to hurry because I was getting hungry and I already know what he was going to say. Something about being proud of me, that I need to stay myself, that I’m older with one more year, yet I look just as young.

He gently caressed my cheek and sighed before he pulled me into the tightest hug ever.

He didn’t stink like before. Jung Min’s scent was as sweet as the day we met and the heat from his chest surprised me once more. Those new powers surely coated everything with a delicious frosting. His hair tickled my nose and I couldn’t help but giggle.

“Sooyoung,” and there he went again with his motivational monologue “why don’t we find you someone else? What do you like more, a girl or a boy? Anything but that ugly-faced kid.”

I stared.

“...the ?”

“Look,” he pinched my cheeks and grinned “you’re gorgeous. You should get someone just as handsome. Just look at me and your mother! All of our good genes went to you and you should appreciate that more.”

I smacked him.

“Hell no!” then slapped him. “I don’t care how Daesung looks! He’s the kindest person I could have in my life and I’m happy he’s there for me.” I stomped back towards the cottage.

“Oh c’mon!” the reaper followed me. I couldn’t hear his steps, just the usual subtle flap of his wings. “You should have seen him before! He looked better! Now it’s like a bufallo rolled over his fa---”

Jung Min stopped once I turned around and glared as hard as I could. He looked dumbfounded for a second before he laughed it away, wrapped his arm around my shoulders and mumbled something about being forgiven and that he’s happy as long as I’m happy. I think he also told me he’ll ‘kill that ing bastard’ if Daesung hurt me in any way.

“You know...” I couldn’t help myself “...he is manlier than you are.”

“OI!”

I don’t know if he behaved like that because he’s trying to take the father role seriously or because he’s jealous. Either way, it made me feel squishy and fuzzy inside.

I ran away from Jung Min when I saw one smiling Daesung at the door, waving at us.

Why do I need a tasteless fancy cake when I have homemade pie at my disposal?


 

---


 

Spring came and the mountains were gentler to us. Snow was slowly melting and dripping on the rooftop every-single-morning. I had to wake up earlier and earlier because of that.

When we moved in the winter, we found out there’s a village not far from the cottage. Jessica used to help an elderly doctor there with herbs that are hard to procure from the mountains. I still don’t know what happened exactly between her and Yuri, but my mother – woah, I’m actually calling her that – thought it would be nice to take over where she left. Yuri’s been known in those areas as the new healer which made wonders. Of course some magic was used, but they wouldn’t know that. Jung Min also came from time to time to check on wounds not even Yuri’s medicine could cure. It was good for them to give back to the community.

As for me, I wanted to go in an adventure. I wanted to help ghosts and humans alike, wanted to meet some more creatures and maybe build a haven for them. I don’t know how serious Death was with his plans, but it would surely take some more time in our world until he’d begin. Until then, I made a promise I should respect.

I just had to wait two months or so before the weather cleared for good and in summer, I could go back to doing what I used to. Until then, I'd enjoy the blooming trees and the singing birds. Nature came back to life.

The questioned lingered on what I am and it bothered me.

Then again, I didn’t care that much at the end of the day. I watched the sunset being swallowed between mountains and smiled when Daesung put a blanket on my back. He went ahead and took a seat near me on the stairs.

“I heard the Queen’s visiting this area tomorrow, want to go see her?” he caught me off-guard with such a proposal.

“Hell yeah!” it had been my dream to meet her and it was finally going to happen.

“Together?” he inquired and I gave him thumbs up.

“Let’s go together...” I heard flapping wings “without them knowing~”

We snickered and forced our best poker faces when Jung Min eyed us suspiciously. He entered the cottage and went to check on his carrot pots. I winked at Daesung and he winked back.

I can’t wait to get back to work.


Pushing myself to finish Karma until 4AM, my time T_T currently 4PM. Also, found this fanart on tumblr today – totally looks like Jung Min right now in the story HAHA you pretty boy XDDD After Sooyoung, he’s my favorite character in the series and I’m so glad to be writing again with him.