case 8 - 2

Karma

Hyung-soo was the kind to get a woman in every city we had been, though I counted once two boys. I was never sure about that since we were all pretty wasted after our victorious fight against a mob of snakes. What I really appreciated about him was his laidback attitude which never seemed to leave him alone. I respected that he could carry on day after day without grief or any other negative emotion that could pull him down and never let him breathe again. Jung Min on the other hand only had eyes for me from the moment we clashed in the harem. He wouldn’t leave my side, no matter what, so the day he almost did, I was freaked beyond everything I had ever experienced. 

It was one of those difficult missions which involved a reaper that was bad at his job. There were many like that, probably a newborn that only followed orders and had no actual idea how to fight certain demons or ghosts back to the Other World. Jung Min fell into a pit while we were running away from an amazingly strong ghost. It must had had an amazing grudge and we couldn’t take it down, no matter how much we tried. Our experience was limited back then. When Hyung-soo ran to pull him back up, I saw the ghost approaching them and ran to aid the man. There was something inside that pit that looked like clouds, crawling over Jung Min’s legs and not wanting to let go. I cried his name so much, until finally my energy burst through my body, in Jung Min’s and the white aura we had when working together cleared the clouds and released him. When Jung Min was safe with us and away from the edge, we ran as fast as we could. I obliterated that reaper back to the Other World for that mission and spent the evening imagining all sort of horrible things, beginning from Jung Min’s death to mine.

That night, we made love, maybe because I was too scared to lose him, too scared that there would never be more between us if he disappeared the following day. In time like those, nothing was certain. Hyung-soo caught us in act and we laughed it for days after that. And laughed some more.

I was still one of the guys, despite the fact that I shared my bed with Jung Min and only my jokes and punches with Hyung-soo. They were so kind to me. I didn’t have to lift a finger because of my harem life, so some chores were rather difficult. When I tried to cook them something that turned out like a demon’s spawn who then was chewed on and spit in their plate, they swallowed and gave me thumbs up with tears forming in the corner of their eyes. Hyung-soo also had a thing for snakes – he really loves snakes – so when I first made stew out of one, he still ate it and sobbed afterwards from my cruelty.

Days were like that, swaying between happiness, worry and some more anger and love, mixed all in a cocktail of craziness.

I loved my life. I loved everything.

We had to put that to an end when I became pregnant.

 

---

 

Three birds flew above Seungri and Jessica. They morphed into reapers with brilliant green eyes. More warriors and more hassle for me. Jessica stepped backwards and joined Seungri in the shadows. I could see that I was surrounded. There were quite a few visible birds around, waiting for their turn to attack me. Who knows how many more shied from my presence. I doubted that a good general would send all of his soldiers in a suicide mission, so I went with that feeling in my guts and gave my all.

Two of the three came forward at amazing speed. Due to my black vines, I could create a shield around me which slowed momentarily time and let me perceived exactly where the reapers would hit. I grabbed the first’s leg and used him as a bat to send the other one flying before I’d burn both off with a fast red shot. Depite their powers, reapers' bodies were light.

Piece of cake! That was nothing compared to being possessed. You cannot control your body then and you couldn’t think for yourself most of the time. Since I had absolute manipulation over everything my body and spirit produced, I couldn't lose that battle. It was something I was so certain that I ignored the third reaper and aimed my attack towards Seungri. As Byung Hee explained, Warriors were the true fighters in the second sphere, not Watchers. So even if I wanted to kick Jessica’s , it was of no use. The reaper I ignored flashed before my eyes. I turned around just in time and sent my flame towards him.

Heavily breathing, I stood at a fair distance from the Watcher and Warrior.

“If you knew what I was...” Jessica suddenly questioned in my head, making me dizzy “why have you trusted me?”

“I trust no one and nothing!” I spoke loud and clear for every one of them to hear me. The black vines were swirling once more around me, tempting anyone that dared come closer with a trip to a pain filled experience. Two birds morphed and attacked me at once. I strangled both with the vines, then touched their faces and let their screams become my new anthem as they burnt as well. “But I tried to trust you.”

Jessica looked confused as I kicked another reaper, pushed him to the ground and then plunged my hand in his chest. His skin erupted in flames as he yelled and disappeared too.

As much as I wanted to believe it would stop soon, I knew it was just the beginning. Mainly because all the birds morphed into their human form, each with four pair of wings.

“...” they attacked together from all sides.

I must survive.

I had Jung Min’s memory backing me up. There was no greater weapon.