case 10 - 1

Karma

The news about the Queen was false. She was visiting the mountains, just not the following day. I had to wait until late spring if I wanted to really see her, or even summer, so my charity trip would have to begin later. I wasn’t going to venture into shadows without first meeting the Queen. I sulked each day because of that. Do they really have to mess with a fangirl’s hear that much? We’re serious business. They should have known that from the moment a young and witty Queen took over that tyrant who sank the land in despair.

When I told Jung Min around that period to fly me and meet the Queen at her castle instead, he told me straight to do it myself. I wasn’t used to his cold demeanor, but I think he meant that I could fly too. Still, I had no wings, so how could that be possible? I tried to summon that white energy over and over again, but all I got were some weird flames which didn’t do much damage. I knew because I used said reaper as my punching bag. It wasn’t enough that he and Yuri’s yells interrupted my afternoon nap. It was nice to see them fight again over trivial things and then make up and act like nothing happened. It’s good to exteriorize your frustration instead of letting it consume you from the inside. But I would have been extremely glad if they didn’t do that when I tried to clear my head through sleep.

Since my naps were futile, I went out and trained as much as I could. I did everything - from simple meditation that lasted for hours with the rapid streams murmuring in my ears, to extreme fighting stances. Daesung trained with me whenever I asked him to. It was different from the days I only did it with Jung Min, because Daesung got tired at one point and we had to take a break. I never truly battled with Yuri when training. She only told me what to do and I used what I had around me as my partner.

With summer around the corner, I pushed my body to its limits. There was something surely different about me. I had way more stamina than any other human and it wasn’t because of Yuri’s protein-based diet. The force in my punches became so great that I could crack stones with one hit. Though, my hand became so numb after, I thought I had broken it. And every time I dashed back to complain about it to Yuri and put Jung Min to fix it, a sudden chilling wave took over me and I could move my hand again without troubles. Whatever healing abilities I had, they weren’t under my control – not yet.

So I had the stupid idea of pushing Daesung down a waterfall and then try to see if I could heal him. That plan got scrapped when, finally, they announced the Queen had arrived in the area and she’d be visiting the forests.

As we careened through the trees, my excitement grew like a limp balloon filled with air.

“GRANDMAAA!” Daesung cried somewhere behind me. “WAIT FOR ME!”

“LAST ONE THERE MUST EAT YURI’S SNAKE STEW!” I screamed back. A sudden flash made me slow down. Daesung’s red energy surrounded him as he winked at me and sped up. Why that little...! “THAT’S CHEATING!” I stopped, stomped, growled and then snapped my fingers. All that training should have allowed some of my new abilities to come in handy.

As predicted, a thin layer of white energy surfaced on my skin and I was delighted to see it had the same effect as Daesung’s. Not long, two colored bolts raced to where the supposed Queen and her suit were going to pass by. I’ll be damned if I let that kid win.

Somewhere in the bigger bushes, only my eyes were visible as I stalked the guards. Not soon after, the Queen’s carriage strolled gracefully along the path. Panting, Daesung collapsed on his knees near me and laid his head on my back. I tried hard not to squeal as the Queen removed the curtain and took a look outside.

She was sooo beautiful. Daesung peeked from my shoulder and snorted.

“You’re prettier,” he mumbled and went back to resting on me. I pushed backwards enough to make him land face first in the dirt.

“No I’m not,” I whispered and contained my excitement as much as I could. “She’s perfect... intelligent, gorgeous, creative and warmhearted. I can’t wait to see what else she’s going to do for us.”

“Who cares?” Daesung wiped his face and poked my back. “You’re better than her... now let’s go back.”

“Eh? Already?”

“Well, you know...” he grinned “that stew has to be eaten by somebody.”

He ran.

...oh great, stay some more and admire my pseudo-idol or save my stomach? I shook my head and followed the blond, keen on winning again. At least I got to see her and that was all that mattered.


 

---


 

At our dinner table, I couldn’t stop rambling about the Queen. Yuri served her stew and only Daesung forced it down his throat. A deal was a deal and I totally kicked his . Jung Min seemed more interested in peeling his carrots and munching on them that what I had to say. Yuri tilted her head a couple of times, but I had no idea if it was because of my sudden usage of words or because she really had enough of our and wanted that day to be over sooner.

It was peaceful that evening when I cuddled in bed and embraced the pillow. I sniffed it and wanted to drift to dreamland as fast as possible.

Daesung came with a toothbrush in his mouth, lazily moving it left and right as he stared in the mirror and rubbed his head in the same motion. I the other side to ignore his routine and yawned. I patted my tummy and thanked the spirits for avoiding another snake curse upon me.

Everything was falling back in motion.

I didn’t know I had fallen asleep until after Daesung accidentally woke me up. I slowly opened my eyes and stared at his exhausted figure. Nevertheless, he still gave me one angelic smile and I couldn’t help do the same.

“You disturbed me,” I complained in a silly voice. He laughed.

“Sorry grandma~” he wrapped one arm around my body and pulled me closer. His chin rested on my head while he softly breathed in the night. “I was thinking,” he yawned “I might know what you are.”

“Hmmm?” I closed back my eyes and tried hard not to tense one bit. We were too attached and I still had to get used to it.

“Well, you’re not a reaper, that’s for sure...” he started with a serious tone. It made me chuckle because it didn’t match him at all. “And you bleed, so you’re human... I guess,” he shrugged and gave my forehead a light peck. I had to force my eyelids open again as he stared at me. “You’re a White Priestess. What else could you be?”

“But that’s just a legend...”

“Exactly,” he grinned “you’re legendary now and forever will be.”

I shoved him and laughed some more.

“That was a stupid joke!”

“But it’s true!” he lifted his head on his elbow and pouted. “What else could you be other than a White Priestess? Remember what Yuri described them to be? They can see and feel everything... sometimes stronger than reapers... and demons fear them.”

Taking everything into account, Daesung was right. My fingers clutched to the medallion hanging from my neck. It still had Jung Min’s feather inside and it helped me better digest my novel status.

“White Priestess...” I uttered and was surprised when Daesung leaned in for a kiss.

“Yeah, you’re the best.”

That’s it!

I had enough!

Over five hundred freaking years was enough!

I pushed Daesung on his back and assaulted his lips and body.

I’m pretty sure somebody choked in the kitchen because of that... With a carrot.