Chapter 6: Flashback

Accept me

Chapter 6:

“Jessica!” The care taker, Sunye shouted as she searches for the 7 year old girl. “Jessica!”

She looked and looked, not knowing what to do if the head found out that she lost another girl. She became frantic and shouted Jessica’s name as many as possible. She sighs in relief to find the little girl sitting on a corner, staring blankly at the ceiling.

“Jessica! You made me so worried about you!” She says as she walks closer to the little girl who isn’t giving any second look to her. “Did you hear me?”

Again, no words came out in Jessica’s lips.

“Are you deaf? I’m talking to you!” She screamed, grabbing Jessica by her arm.

Jessica made a short scream before looking at Sunye, the care taker was shocked, she stepped back because she saw the bruised arm of the little girl.

“What happened to you?” She asked a few minutes. “Tell me,”

“I…” Jessica started, wanting to tell her everything but those kids who did that to her wouldn’t be very happy about it. “I tripped while playing at the backyard.”

“Are you sure?”

Not wanting to speak anymore, she nodded her head.

Sunye looked at her curiously before nodding her head, she doesn’t actually care for the girl in front of her, she hates all children. The only reason she was here taking care of the ‘little devils’ as she calls them was because she needed money.

“Alright, go clean the living room now.” She made a side step, waiting for Jessica to do what she was told.

Jessica pleaded using her eyes, she can’t clean the living room because of her arm, she can’t even move it.

“What are you waiting for? Christmas?” She glared at the girl and pushed her towards the living room. “I want this clean and spotless.”

Jessica’s tears were about to fall because of the pain she was enduring but she forced not to show it, she wanted to leave the place full of abusers and dictators but she couldn’t. She was grateful for the one who took her in and she promised herself that she would repay her for the things she has done for her.

“How’s your arm?” Jessica closed her eyes at the voice she heard, she was the one responsible for the bruise she got, she and her other friends who felt superior inside the orphanage and was most liked by Sunye was the one responsible for that. “I had fun playing with you anyway.”

Jessica looked at her and forced a smile on her face, she can’t fight her because she knew how dirty this girl in front of her can play. She tried to ignore her but she couldn’t, they were roommates and were paired in all the activities done.

“Why are you smiling?” Yunbin, the girl she hates the most asked again, glaring at her. “Hadn’t you had enough of the play we had?”

“I had fun, Yunbin.” Jessica answered, forcing not to cry in front of the girl.

“Good, cause now I want you to do all my chores.” She handed her a piece of paper, there were chores written there and when is the deadline.

“I can’t,”

“And why not?”

“I have more chores to do,”

“Add mine and you’ll have loads. C’mon, you don’t want another play, do you?”

Jessica’s eyes widen and harshly shook her head, the play  they had was still fresh, and if she doesn’t follow what she wants, she’ll have to suffer another play, or abuse as she prefers.

“Good. Now hurry up before Sunye unnie comes.” Yunbin took a closer step and grabbed Jessica’s bruised arm that made her flinch and scream in pain. “Aren’t you used to this?”

Jessica didn’t answer and just told her to let go because she has to finish, Yunbin just nodded her head and let the poor girl do the chores. Few seconds later, Sunye came and saw her standing in front of Jessica.

“Yunbin,” She called out.

“Unnie?” Yunbin turned to look at her.

“Why aren’t you still doing your chores? Do you want to be scolded again?”

“I’m waiting for Jessica, unnie. I heard she was hurt so I’m helping her.”

“What a wonderful kid you are!” Sunye complimented, walking to pat Yunbin on the shoulder.

“Thank you, unnie.” She answered, smiling widely at her.

Jessica balled her fist and closed her eyes, not wanting to say or hear anything anymore, she had enough of those lies and compliments, she wanted to have a new scenery for a change but she knew she couldn’t have it, seeing how good at lying Yunbin is.

“Aren’t you done yet?” Sunye hissed as she looks at Jessica.

“Almost,” She sweeps one more forcefully and smiled at her unnie.

“Alright, after that I want you to take out the trash.”

“But it’s dark outside,”

“So?”

“I’m scared.”

“And I’m getting impatient, now go take out the trash.” She hissed as she takes the broom away from Jessica.

Jessica nodded her head and dragged her feet outside the house, she took a long, deep breath before carrying two bags in one hand. She walks silently towards the gate, thinking of what might happen if she wouldn’t be here, in the orphanage.

“Boo!” Jessica screamed as someone touched her shoulder.

She turned around to see Joon Myun laughing. “Very funny!” She tried slapping him but the pain came back making her groan.

“You look lost,” He commented, taking the garbage away from her hand. “And hurt,”

“Don’t worry too much, I’m fine.” Jessica tried waving it off and walk away but Joon Myun grabbed her arm that made her scream again.

“So, this is what you call fine? Who did this to you? Yunbin again?” His eyes darken as Yunbin’s name escaped his lips, he doesn’t understand why she hates Jessica and she doesn’t even know her very much.

Jessica shook her head and forced a smile on her lips, not wanting to talk anymore; she doesn’t want him to have another fight with Yunbin.

Few months before Jessica moved to the orphanage, Joon Myun’s best friend was Yunbin, they were inseparable. The head mistress tried to know why but she receives nothing but a smile on both kids. What Joon Myun didn’t and doesn’t know is Yunbin’s in love with him ever since she laid her eyes on him, she was hoping that he would have the same feelings as her but when Jessica came, they’re friendship was ruined.

All Joon Myun talked about is Jessica, always Jessica. Yunbin, of course being the little girl whose in love, became jealous. She tried winning him back but Joon Myun seemed to be determined to be with her, something Yunbin had never expected to see.

Long story short, Jessica and Joon Myun became close but Yunbin ruined it by threatening Jessica. Joon Myun doesn’t know the real reason but he found out the play they’ve been doing with her and promised to protect Jessica, something that Yunbin got furious about.

And they never talked to again; the once inseparable best friends are now mortal enemies because of a girl who moved a few months ago.

“Jessica, tell me.” He persisted, looking at her eye to eye.

“I tripped,” She frowned, not wanting to lie but wishing he’d fall for it, she doesn’t want another fight breaking out because of her.

“Don’t lie to me.”

Jessica sighs and nods her head. “But please don’t do anything! I’m fine, really. I am.”

“Are you sure?”

She nods her head and tried taking the garbage bag from him but he shook his head and told her that he’ll help him. When they were done, they went their separate ways because it was time for bed.

 

**3 years later**

 

The beatings hadn’t stopped nor did it lessen. It only got worse. Yunbin wasn’t just jealous of Jessica because she has Joon Myun’s attention, she was jealous because she seemed to be the favorite of the head mistress and now, she was the first one to be adopted.

“Say goodbye to your friends Jessica, your new parents are waiting for you downstairs.” The head mistress said, tapping her shoulder.

Jessica smiled and hugged the head mistress first because she took care of her, unlike the care taker, Sunye who just ordered her around, she then went to bid goodbye to Joon Myun, her one and only friend.

“I’m gonna miss you,” He said as he hugs her tightly.

“I’m gonna miss you too, you know.”

Joon Myun smiled and looked at her in the eyes and whispered something that made Jessica blush crazily.

“Promise?” He asked, raising his pinky finger.

“Promise.” She smiled and took intertwined their pinky finger together and kissed his cheeks before leaving to go downstairs.

She saw her new parents, the head mistress and a scowling Sunye. Jessica was glad that she’s already leaving her. She was very grateful for being chosen to be adopted.

“What’s your name?” The man asked, he looked like he’s already in his fifties.

“Jessica,” She answered happily as she takes her bag but the man stopped and told her that he’s the one going to carry it. “Thank you,”

“What a lovely child you have,” The woman beside the man commented, smiling at her. “Let’s go?”

Jessica nodded her head and hugged the head mistress for the last time before following her new parents. She sat at the back of the old car they own and drove in silence to their new home.

“You can call us eomma and appa.” Jessica looked at her new mother and smiled when she said that.

“Okay, eomma.” She answered, loving the feeling of being loved.

They became silent once more and when they arrived, Jessica became satisfied at the house she’s going to live in, it’s not extravagant like those other houses she sees on TV, the house was simple and she loves it.

“Jessica, we weren’t sure what you would like but we got you this.” Her appa said, handing her a small box as she turns around to look at them.

She thanked them first before opening it. The smile on her lips became bigger because she was surprised to see a music box. She opened it and the song “Kiss in the Rain” by Yiruma started playing.

“Thank you!” Jessica said as she hugs her new parents.

“You’re welcome,” They replied.

They walked inside and helped Jessica to settle in, she was grateful because she was lucky enough to have them as parents, she knew they weren’t the best but at least they were kind and generous to a 10 year old like her.

Being with a family that loves you are the best feeling in the world. They are there to support you in every decision and would be like a guidance counselor when you have problems.

 “Are you okay, Sica?” Her mother asked as she enters her room.

“Yes, I’m just missing my best friend.”

“Joon Myun?”

Jessica looked at her shocked. She doesn’t remember telling her eomma that she has a best friend; she didn’t even tell her his name.

“Don’t look shocked, the head mistress told me about you and him being inseparable.”

“Oh okay,” She smiled and tied her hair in a pony tail.

“Hurry up anyway; we’re going for a walk.” She then closed the door and let Jessica finish what she was doing.

Even after the first walk they did together, they continued doing it as part of their bonding because Jessica’s in school; her father is on work and her mother stays at home doing the chores.

Few years had passed and their relationship grew stronger, now at 15, Jessica was determined to surprise her parents because it was their anniversary. She asked their neighbor and the closest friend of her parents, Su Yeon for help and she agreed.

Few days before the day of the anniversary, everything seemed to be perfect, the only thing missing is the couple who was the reason for this celebration.

The only thing that ruined everything was when the day of the anniversary, Jessica’s phone rang, she expected it to be her mother but it turned out to be a police officer.

“Can I help you?” She asked, walking out of the room.

“Yes, are you related to Jung Min Jun and Jung Ha eun?”

“Yes, they’re my parents. Why?”

“I’m sorry to bring you bad news but your parents are dead.” The officer kept quiet for a while, letting his words sink in.

“How?” Jessica tried not to sound shocked.

“A car accident,” He said.

“Oh, okay.” She hung up.

She fell to the ground and started crying. She didn’t expect it to just happen like that, she was ready to give them something tonight, something that she knows they’ll love.

“Sica?” Su Yeon called out, walking towards the girl who was sitting on the ground. “Is everything alright?”

Jessica looked at her and shook her head.

“What happened?”

“They’re gone.”

“What?”

“They’re dead. The one who called was a police officer, informing me that my parents are dead because of a car crash.”

Su Yeon’s eyes widen as she heard the news, that couldn’t be possible, she was talking to her best friend three hours ago and they were joking about Jessica being too independent.

“It can’t be.” She managed to say, shaking her head forcefully. “They can’t be dead!”

“I wish they weren’t but he confirmed it.”

Su Yeon fell beside Jessica and hugged her tightly. She was sorry for the girl she was hugging because she lost her parents in an early age. With that hug, Su Yeon also promised to take care of the little girl.

The day of the burial came and everyone especially Jessica was like a life without a soul. Everyone loved her parents, everyone adored them and everyone was shocked to hear them die from a car crash because of a drunken driver.

“Are you ready?” Su Yeon asked as she looks at the teenage girl.

Jessica smiles at her and wipes her tears, “Ne,”

Both took one last breath before leaving the room. Su Yeon went to talk to some close relatives while Jessica just stood near her parents coffin, holding the white rose in her hand as the tears runs down her face.

She couldn’t believe it was early for them to leave her, she so many things that she wanted to ask from them, she still needed them but now that they’re gone, there’s no one left to take care of her.

“What are you talking about?” Su Yeon asked, Jessica turned around to see her talking to the head mistress.

“I’m telling the truth, Su Yeon. Jessica needs to know.”

Need to know what? Jessica asked herself, trying to figure out what they are hiding but she couldn’t seem to know.

“She’s still a kid,” Su Yeon hissed.

“Are you gonna wait for her to know the truth with someone else?”

“Of course not! I made a promise to Ha eun and I’m not about to break it, I’m gonna tell her when she’s ready.”

“You’re gonna wait for that time to tell her who is her –“

 

“Jessica?”