Chapter 8

Accept me

 

Chapter 8:

 

I’m leaving.

I’m really leaving.

I am never coming back to this place, I know I’ll have to find a job and support my child on my own but it’s fine with me. At least I wouldn’t be seeing him and his new girlfriend anymore.

This place is really haunted for me. Who knew I could have two of my greatest fears in one place? First the death of my parents now this? It may not seem much but to me it’s a bog deal. I’m afraid to loose the one I love and I’m also afraid of being rejected. I am not those strong girls who would just fix their problem and move on, well I may have done that already but it didn’t turn out too well.

I packed all the necessary things, took some cash on the vault hidden below my parents bed and placed a letter on the kitchen table for Su Yeon and left the keys on her mailbox but having a spare one just in case I would consider coming back. I immediately went to the train station and looked for the nearest town, knowing too well that if I decided to travel to the farthest place, Su Yeon’ll easily find me and besides, who would run away and live on the nearest place here?

“One ticket for Goyang, please.” I said as I hand her the amount due.

She stared at me for a moment before doing the transaction and when she was done, I forced a smile and left. Not letting her to even say one word. Once I reached the waiting area, I sat on one of the plastic bench and read some magazines to kill my time.

 

“All passengers going to Goyang, please fall in line.” Someone announced, making me and the other people stop what we’re doing and walked towards the line being created.

When all of us are already inside and seated accordingly, the train started moving. I kept quiet all throughout the ride, I didn’t need to try and converse with anyone because I know I won’t be seeing anyone of them anymore.

When we got there, I stayed for a while and waited for everyone to get out. Once the train was empty, I left and walked to find an apartment where I could stay.

I was getting frustrated as I went walking almost all around the place. I don’t think there’s an available place to stay here, maybe I should go and find another town?

The only thing that stopped me from my thoughts is when I saw a sign in front of the shop that says, ‘Wanted: Cashier, please inquire inside.” I then smiled and walked inside, went immediately to the front and asked about the help they wanted.

“Are you sure you want to?” She asked, looking me from head to toe.

“Yes,”

“Alright, you can start tomorrow at 8.”

“I can start now,” I suggested, smiling at her.

“Don’t you want to rest? You seem tired.”

“I’m fine,”

“Let me guess, you’re new here and you don’t have anywhere to stay?”

I reluctantly nodded my head and bowed.

“Hey, you can stay with me until you can find a place for yourself. How’s that?”

I looked shocked but nodded my head. “Why are you so nice to a stranger you just met?”

“I know I just met you but you seemed nice and trustworthy and besides, I know you needed the help, it’s pretty evident on your face.”

I smiled sheepishly and thanked her once again before going inside and helping her with the customers. Once the night was done, she led me to her house and told me to feel at home while she prepares my room. I sat on the couch and saw a picture of the nice lady with her husband and daughter.

“You’re room is done,” I heard her say and as I turn to look at her.

“I’m sorry but I haven’t asked for your name, by the way I’m Jessica.”

“Nice to meet you Jessica. Please just call me Sora.” She answers. “Follow me to your room.”

I smiled and nodded my head and followed her. When we got to the room, my smile widens. The room wasn’t too big or small, it was perfect. I thanked Sora and unpacked my things immediately and took a rest for a pretty long day.

I woke up because of Sora knocking at my door. I apologized afterwards because she had to wake me up. She just waved me off and told me that it’s fine and she even told me that she missed doing that with her daughter.

“Thank you for letting me stay.” I then told her as we both went towards the shop.

“How many times do I have to tell you that’s it’s fine? Don’t worry too much about it Jessica.”

“I just couldn’t believe I met someone nice as you, Sora unnie.”

She laughed and told me to go and just take some orders. I laughed and did as told. While doing so, I felt eyes on me that made me cautious. I scratched the back of my neck and tried to remain calm but couldn’t because it made me think that Su Yeon already found me.

“Hi, I would like to have a Latte,” I was snapped out of my thoughts when someone talked to me.

I smiled typed it on the computer and asked his name.

“Joon Myun,” He said that made me stop from what I’m doing. I looked up at him and stared.

 

Joon Myun?

 

I was about to ask him if he knew me and was from the same orphanage as I am when Sora suddenly called for me and told me to make orders because she’s already full. All that I could do was smile and walk away from him and as I walk away I saw an older man walking towards the cashier taking orders.

“Who…?” I started but stopped.

“That’s my husband, Ji Woo.”

“Oh,” I answered as I nod my head.

I was giving out the orders to the customers when I noticed the same guy staring at me and once it was time for me to give him the latte, he smiled.

“How are you?” He asked, still smiling.

I raised an eyebrow. “I’m fine, thank you.”

“What I meant to say is, how are you for the past years?”

“I’m fine, thank you.” I repeated, turning around.

“Can’t you remember me?”

I didn’t answer and just walked away. I resumed doing what I was doing and didn’t mind the guy who was talking to me earlier. Once the shop was closed, Sora, Ji Woo and I went back to the house and went to our own rooms.

 

Few weeks, The guy, Joon Myun tried conversing with me that it made me slightly irritated and I also started getting weight. Actually reminding me that I am in fact pregnant, Sora looked at me suspiciously and asked if I am, I didn’t want to lie to her so I told her why I was here.

“You’re like my daughter, Jessica.”

I looked at her confused. “What?”

“My daughter was like you, got pregnant at 17. Do you know the reason why she left? She was afraid just like you, she was afraid that we might get angry at her and order her to leave the house.”

“Where is she now?”

“Just like you, she’s living somewhere in Seoul, hoping to get a good job to support her baby.”

“Why didn’t you look for?”

“We did, but when we found her, she told us that she wanted to take care of her child on her own, without being financially supported by us. Ji Woo and I respected her decision and just told her to contact us as soon as there’s trouble.”

“Weren’t you… angry?”

“No, I was shocked but never angry. I admit, it hurt to see your daughter go but it was her mistake and I’m letting her do what is right.”

“Oh, she’s so lucky to have you.”

“Why? Did your parents throw you out?”

I shook my head and smiled forcefully. “They died when I was 15. The only one that takes care of me now is our neighbor and closest friend of my parents.”

“Oh, so…” She looked at me and smirked, “Why don’t you talk to Joon Myun?”

My eyes widened at the name she said. “Huh?”

“Joon Myun, he’s one of my regulars.”

“Oh. What about him?”

“He seems to know you.”

“I don’t know,” I sigh, “I think I know him too but I can’t remember where.”

“Why don’t you talk to him when he starts a conversation? Maybe you’ll be able to find your answer there.”

“Maybe you’re right.” I nodded my head.

“Now let’s go.”

I smiled and followed her out of the house. Once we reached the shop, Joon Myun was already waiting outside. Sora tapped my shoulder and when I looked at her, she winked at me.

“Go talk to him,”

“But…” I started but was stopped when put one finger in front of her lips.

“I got you covered,”

I wanted to tell her that I’m not interested but she shook her head, pushed me to where he was and left. I breathed and when he looked up, we both smiled at each other.

“Hey,” He starts, waving his hand.

“Hey.” I repeated. “You’re early today.”

“Yeah, I know.” He stood up from his seat and took one step forward. “I wanted to talk to you.”

“Talk about what?”

“Are you free?”

I looked back at the shop and saw Sora raising a thumb up. I looked back at Joon Myun and nodded my head. He smiled and asked if I wanted to take a walk, I just nodded my head and walked beside him. Once we reached the park, he sat on the bench and I followed.

“Can’t you really remember me?” He asked.

“I think I do,” I answered, looking at him and at the sky.

“I’m Joon Myun, your best friend at the orphanage,” He said, making me immediately look at him.

“You mean, you’re Joon Myun… My Joon Myun?!” I screamed, smiling.

“Yes,” He said, smiling. “I’m your Joon Myun.”

Without hesitating, I hugged him. He hugged me back and when we were done, we decided to talk about what happened when we got separated a few years back. It was fun talking to him again.

“Hey, do you remember what we promised that time when you were about to leave?” He asked, making me look at him confusingly.

I shook my head.

He chuckled and pulled me closer and kissed me on the lips. My eyes widen at his sudden move and pulled away.

“What was that for?!” I asked, looking angry.

“That’s our promise.” He smiled and stood up.

I looked at him confusingly. “What?”

 

“I hate to say goodbye,” Jessica said to her best friend.

“Hey,” He cupped her cheeks and smiled. “We’ll meet again.”

“When?”

“Someday.” He then released his hands and whispered in her ear. “And when we meet, I promise you that I’ll give you a thousand kisses and would never leave you again.”

Jessica smiled and kissed him on the cheeks before finally saying goodbye and running towards her new parents.

 

I stared at him shocked as I remember what he promised. He did say he’ll give a thousand kisses but I didn’t think he’d remember it!

“Do you remember now?” He asked, kneeling in front of her.

“Yeah.” The only thing I said before looking away.

“Hey, what’s wrong?”

“I’m not the same Jessica you knew before.”

“What?”

“I’m pregnant, Joon Myun.”

When I glanced at him, he looked shocked. I breathed and stood up and started walking away but was stopped when he held me by the arm and pulled me to a hug.

“I don’t actually care if you’re pregnant, what is important to me now is that you’re here and I am never letting you go.”

“But…”

“Don’t worry.” He then touched my stomach. “This baby would grow up like you, cheerful and beautiful.”

I chuckled. “I’m not cheerful and beautiful.”

He shook his head and stole another kiss from me. “Yes you are,”

“Wait, you’re not even my boyfriend and you’re acting like you are.”

He smiled and kissed my hand. “Well, Jessica, can I court you?”