Chapter 3

Accept me

The living room was filled with drunken teenagers. Most of the teenagers kept on dancing like there’s no tomorrow while others make out in one corner. Jessica rubbed her temples and looked for a place to settle but she couldn’t find one.

She sighs,

She walked towards the kitchen, smiled when she saw food and drinks on the table. She squeezed her way to it and did a mental air punch when she got there. She took some chips and drunk some unknown beverage and started dancing to the music.

She didn’t know what her drink was but she was glad she had drunk it. She was already having fun in the party and she promised herself to thank Ja Hye later, the others didn’t mind her and just danced, knowing that tomorrow they’ll have a heavy hung over from the party.

While Jessica was busy having fun,

Kris was watching movies in his house. He didn’t want to go to his best friend’s party because he knows that Jessica wouldn’t be there. He had always been in love with her ever since he laid eyes on her, she may think she’s invisible but in Kris’ eyes, she’s his whole world.

A phone call disturbed him. He looked at his phone to see Ja Hye, his best friend calling.

“Yeah?” He said, pausing the movie.

“You still don’t want to go to the party? You’re only two blocks away.” She asked loudly since there was loud music behind her.

“How many times do I have to tell you?”

“Jessica’s here,”

Kris’ eyes widen as he stood up. She couldn’t be there, she doesn’t like parties. He thought to himself. “You’re joking,”

“No I’m not. Dude, she’s already having fun.”

“Jessica having fun? She doesn’t even like parties’ dude,”

“But she is, if you’re here in my party, you’d see her dancing around looking hot,” She stopped and laughed for a moment. “Okay, this is actually awkward for me.”

“Dude, you’re BI. I’ll understand it if you say she’s hot.”

“But that doesn’t sound right when you’re the most popular girl in the school,”

“Whatever,”

“So are you coming or not? If you are please go now because guys are crowding your girl.”

“I’m on my way,” He said as he hung up on his friend.

He didn’t sound pleased when he heard his best friend say that Jessica was being crowded by guys, he wanted her to be with him and only him. He was so possessive yet she isn’t his.

He just put a white v-neck shirt and jeans and went out running to Ja Hye’s house. He saw her relieved when he reached her and said that Jessica is at the couch sitting with Hyomin.

“Thanks dude,” He said as he passes her to where Jessica is.

He squeezed his way towards her; he saw her talking happily with Hyomin. He stopped, hesitated and asked himself if he’s going to do it, if he does then what will he say to her, and if he doesn’t will he regret it later?

“Dude, c’mon.” Ja Hye pushed him to where they are. “Talk to her,”

Kris looked at his best friend, trying to tell her that he can’t do it. Not with her, Kris can have any girl he wants in an instant, he was famous after all but with the girl he really likes, he can’t. He shies away and looks at her from a far.

“Kris, listen to me.” Ja Hye stopped and looked at him. “I don’t know what you see in that girl but as your best friend, I’m here to help you. I want you to be happy and if she’s doing that then I’ll help in any way I can. But if I’m the only one doing the effort, you’ll lose her. Man up and talk to her you coward!”

Ja Hye pushed his best friend towards Hyomin and Jessica. She smiled happily when Kris was able to talk to Jessica, Finally, She thought, walking away.

“Ja Hye!” She turned around to see her boyfriend, Yoseob smiling at her.

“What?”

“Are you done being a cupid to your best friend?” He pulled her close to him and kissed her cheeks.

Ja Hye nodded her head and wrapped her hands around his neck and let him kiss her, they deepened the kiss and stopped when they reached her bedroom.

 

Kris is happy right now, he was able to talk to Jessica without anyone distracting them. It was awkward at first but when Jessica told him that she’s going outside, he followed her and the conversation started.

“What college are you planning to attend?” He asked her.

“I don’t think I’ll be attending college,”

“Why?”

"I have loads of bills waiting for me at my house and besides, I don't have enough money for their tuiton fees." 

"You can always apply for a full paid scholarship. Don't you want that?"

"Even if I wanted to, I can't." She frowned. "Scholarships mean that you should always be on top and I barely get an A-. I always get C or B."

"Well, at least you could try."

Kris frowned; he didn't like the idea of her not going to college. If he could he would offer his money to help, he's rich after all. 

"I'm going to get a drink, do you want one?" She asks as she turns towards the doors. 

"No, you stay here and I'll go get it."

"Thanks," She smiled at him for doing that. 

But she couldn't understand why he's being kind to her. She doesn't even know him and he's name. 

"Here," She turned around to see him handing a red plastic cup. 

"Thanks," 

"No problem." He smiled and sat on the ground. 

Jessica followed and drank her beverage. There is something different about this drink, she thought. It was making her alive again. 

"Are you having fun?" Kris asked, looking at her. 

"Not so much, Ja Hye was insisting that I should go, she even went to my house and picked me up."

"Now I understand why you're here." He was now angry at his best friend. "I'm sorry on her behalf."

She waved him off. "Don't be. If it weren't for her then I would be sitting on my couch watching a chick - flick movie or reading another novel until I fell asleep."

"Well, I'm glad she did."

They both smiled at each other, neither speaking. It was comfortable and weird for Jessica. She never expected someone to be kind to her. She was new to this stuff and it's scaring her. 

"Do you want to have fun?" she heard him ask. 

She looked at him confusingly. "What do you have in mind?"

Kris smirked and pulled her inside. They started dancing together and laughing when someone danced like an idiot. 

"Are you having fun already?" Kris asked as he pulls her to the bar. 

"Yeah, thanks." She smiled and drank some more in the red plastic cup Kris handed to her. "What time is it?"

"11:30 PM. Why?"

She nodded her head and swayed to the music while she drank some more. She didn't know why but she's already having a headache right now but she pushed the thought away and concentrated on the man in front of her. 

The man actually surprised her. She didn't expect someone as beautiful as him would talk to her. He was a foot taller and he's voice is amazing, when he first talked to her, she wanted to just jump and kiss him. 

"Dude!" Both heads turn to see Ja Hye walking towards them with her boyfriend. "Are you having fun at my party?"

Jessica looked at Kris and saw him smiling at Ja Hye. "Yeah, thanks for inviting me."

"No problem!" She then kissed her boyfriend. "Jessica, this is my boyfriend Yoseob. Yoseob, this is Jessica."

"Hey," Yoseob smiled at her. 

Jessica only nodded her head, feeling awkward. She looked at Kris but he was busy talking to Ja Hye. 

She sighs, walks to the bar again and told the one behind that she wants another refill. The guy nodded his head and poured a drink for her and let her drink again. 

While Jessica was busy drinking, Kris became frantic. He didn't know where she was and he's becoming worried. He looked everywhere and was relieved to see her only drinking by the bar. 

"Hey," He greeted, standing in front of her making her eyes widen. 

"Oh hey," She smiled at him and drank some more. 

"Hey you should stop drinking before you get drunk." He took the cup away from her. 

"Drunk?" She sounded confused. 

"Yes, drunk."

"What's that? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?"

Kris looked amused at what he heard. It was odd for her not to know anything about being drunk, was Nara right all along? Was Nara right about her being in the library almost all her life?

"For girls, it is a bad thing."

"How so?"

"One, girls like you could be taken advantage off," He stopped and stood closer to her. "Two, you might say something that you will regret."

"Like what?"

"Like your biggest secret or something."

"Biggest secret? I'm not hiding the fact that I'm adopted."

She's drunk, he thought. He frowned at her drunken state. He didn't want to take advantage of her while she's like this. 

"I better take you home," he suggested, holding her gently by her arm. 

"What? No! I'm having so much fun!"

"Jessica, please don't be stubborn. You're drunk."

"I'm not drunk!" She countered, glaring at him. "And how did you know my name? I didn't tell you my name!"

"This is not the time for that; you really need to go home." He said rather calmly, he didn't want to get angry at her for being drunk. 

"You're crazy!" She screamed, trying to push him away. 

"Dude, calm yourself first before you regret something later," Ja Hye said, standing beside Jessica. "I'll take care of her while you calm yourself."

Kris didn't want to leave but knowing her best friend, she was right. He needs to calm down before something bad happens. 

He walked away from them and went to stay at the bar. Girls were trying to flirt with him but he shooed them off, screaming at them to leave him alone. 


Jessica resumed drinking after Kris left, she was also complaining to Ja Hye for him telling her that she was drunk. Ja Hye didn't know what to do. She felt really guilty for convincing Jessica to come. She didn't know it's her first time drinking. 

“Why don’t you stop drinking and rest for a bit?” Ja Hye asked nicely, smiling at Jessica.

“Are you telling me that I’m drunk? I’m not drunk! You guys are crazy!”

“Jessica, calm down.” She tried soothing her but she pushed her away.

“You and that hot guy are crazy! I am not drunk!”

Ja Hye tried to calm Jessica again but it was no use, she’s already drunk and she doesn’t want to be with her or Kris because she thinks that they are crazy people.

 

Kris was half drunk when he came back to where Ja Hye and Jessica are. His best friend told him to go with Yoseob but Kris refused to. He pulled Jessica away from her and told her that he’s taking her home, even though Jessica doesn’t want anything to do with him.

Ja Hye tried to stop him but they were gone with a blink of an eye.