Is this a date? 고백할게

My Vampire Story

The next day, I meet Jonghyun near an empty street. "Good morning" I say. "Good morning to you too. Should we get some breakfast?" He says. I nod happily and he holds my hand. I don't even think twice about it. "What should we eat?" I ask as we walk down the street. I prepare myself for a typical response like 'it's up to you. "Does Pancakes sound good?" He says. I hide my smile at the straight foward answer. "Pancakes? That's exactly what I want. Hurry let's go." I say. We walk to the cafe and order out meals. We don't argue on who will pay and we end up paying half each.

 

We talk over breakfast and joke around. He is able to make me laugh. Before, laughing was rare for me but with him it's just like breathing. We spend the rest of the day randomly walking around Seoul, talking and eating delicious food. This would be the perfect date for me. No soppy romantic dinners or anything of that sort. Just hanging out with the person I like and being natural. The only thing is, this isn't a date in his eyes. This is just hanging out with a friend. Or so I thought.

 

We walk around the streets and look at the stalls on the side of the roads. I admire all the pretty bracelets, bags, sunglasses and all that but something catches my eye. I let go of his hand and run to the stall. A silver necklace is displayed but that’s not what catches my eye. It's the beautiful red pendant that catches my eye. "It's so pretty" I say to myself. "Ahjumma, how much is this necklace?" I ask. "20,000 won." She says. Why is it so expensive for a small pendant? I walk away from the necklace with my head down. Even if I were to ask for a discount, it still would be too expensive for me.

 

It starts to get dark and I didn't realise I spent the whole day with him. "Should we go to the Han River?" He asks. I nod. "I haven't been there for a while." We take a bus and arrive at the Han River. We sit on a bench and spend our time there talking. "I have to use the restroom. Wait here for me?" He says. I nod. I sit on the bench alone looking at the beautiful river. I watch as couples hold hands and sneak kisses to each other as they walk past. I sigh as I think about Jonghyun. Where did he go? It has been more than 10 minutes.

 

I look up to the sky and sigh again. That's when the sky lights up and there are loud noises. At first, I thought it was a bomb or something but I realise that it's fireworks. "Wow" I say out loud as I admire the display of fireworks. Couples around me stop and admire the fireworks too and I watch in envy. I feel something on my neck. I look down and see a silver necklace with a ruby red teardrop pendant. Arms wraps around me and I know who it is. We don't say anything and we watch the fireworks. When it is finished he takes his arms away from me and walks around to sit on the bench next to me. "Do you like it?" He asks looking at my necklace. "It's beautiful, thank you" I say smiling widely. "It reminded me of your beautiful red eyes" He says. "I didn't think such a nice thing could come out of your mouth" I laugh. I feel heartwarmed that he finds my biggest insecurity a beautiful thing. "From now on there are going to be a lot of nice words coming out of my mouth." He smiles. He holds onto my hand and I am filled with warmth. I look at him and he is already looking at me.

 

"You know, these past months of knowing you have been the highlight of my life. Meeting you might not have started off ideally but getting to know you makes me realise that you are a truly beautiful and loveable person." He says. I feel my tears wells up at his words. I know they are true because his mind is saying the same words. "I may lack in a lot of things and I'm not perfect, but I can offer you all my love and attention. Lee Hye Su, I like you."

 

It's like one of those moments in k-drama's when the lead finally confesses and the world suddenly stops. My world has stopped and it is like only he and I exist. "I like you too Jonghyun" I say. He pouts. "Oppa~!" I say and his expression changes into a smile. I giggle. "Will you be my girlfriend?" He asks. "Yes" I say. He moves closer to me. But I can't help but to feel unsettled. So, I stop him.

 

"Why" He pouts. "I can't" I say standing up. "Hye Su what's wrong?" He asks seriously. "Us. Being together is not reality. I'm sorry" I say, tears falling down my face. He wipes the tears away with his fingers. "Don't cry please. It hurts me." He says. How can someone as sweet as him be with someone as worthless as me? "I'm sorry. I'm being selfish. I need to go" I say turning around running away from the beautiful man I don't deserve to call my boyfriend.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 Cliffhanger~~~!