He isn't so bad after all.

My Vampire Story

"Taemin!" I say shocked. "What are you doing here so early?" I ask as he enters the room I am in at SM. "I missed you Noona." He admits. I walk up and reach up to ruffle his hair. "Noona missed Taemin too~" I say. He smiles widely. Taemin and I have bonded very quickly and he is like my real dongsaeng.

 

“Do you know how to dance?” Taemin asks me once we are inside their practice room. “Me? I have no clue” I lie. I have danced before, but it wasn’t serious dancing, just dancing with my parents before they died. I shake the thought off. “I can teach you” He says. “Really?” I say happily. His eyes brighten up. “Of course! Noona you would look really y dancing.” He says admiring my figure. “Noona may have a good body but that doesn’t mean she can dance” I scold him for looking. I am short for my age and I am skinny with a few muscles on my arms from training. He laughs. “Come on you will be fine” He says.

 

1 hour later and we finished dancing. “You were better than I thought” He says panting. “That was only the basics though! When we will be able to do more advanced stuff?” I ask. “You want to take it to the next level?” He asks and I nod. We both sprawl on the cool floor catching out breath. The door opens. “And what have you two been doing?” Jinki asks. “Oppa, Taemin is teaching me how to dance!” I say, standing up and rushing to oppa for a hug. He steps back. “You smell, go have a shower right now” He says jokingly. I pout before grabbing my belongings and walking towards the showers.

 

After my long warm shower I step outside to the hallway and feel the presence of another person next to the door. "Hi, Hye Su." The person says. "Hi Jonghyun." I say. "So, umm. I was wondering if I could take you out for a meal. I mean, would you like to come with me and umm.." He rubs the back of his neck nervously. "I don't want to" I say walking away before he can continue. "Wait!" He calls out I turn around. He looks at me with big bright eyes and a shy smile. Anyone who saw him right now would think he is the maknae of the group which is a sight that makes my knees weak. One moment he looks so manly and the next he is like a child. "Please? Just one meal. If you don't like it then you don't have to do it again." He begs. "I am not the sort of person to go out for a meal with people I don't know." I say. He lowers his head and looks at the ground. "But I will take you up on that offer of singing." I say, remembering that he asked to sing with me before. He looks up. "Really?" He asks and I nod. "Sure, I was going to go singing anyway." I say.

 

We enter a practice room and I sit down in front of the piano. I turn around to see him standing at the door. "Are you coming in?" I ask. He comes in and sits on the floor. "Just pretend I'm not here and do what you usually do" He says. "I thought the point was you wanted to sing with me?" I question. "I need to listen to your voice first." He says. "Okay then.." I say. I start playing SHINee's song Noona Neomu Yeppeo (Replay) because, well I like that song.

 

Half-way through the song I hear his voice join in and I have to admit, it sounds pretty good. I unknowingly clap at the end of the song. "Waah! You have a great voice." I say. "Thanks. You're not bad yourself" he says. He tells me all about singing and we end up talking about the most random things. I never thought that I would enjoy talking to this jerk.

 

"I want to clear up a few things. I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry for causing trouble towards you. I'm sorry about calling you names at school before. I was a jerk right?" He says sincerely. "Yep you were. But I accept your apology. I should apologize too" I say. "No, you shouldn't. I was a jerk. I was selfish and didn't think about how you would feel" He says. "I'm curious about something." I say. "What is it?" He asks. "That day when I was in a fight with that student, did you really protect me because of Jinki's orders?" I ask. He is quiet. "It's just if I were you, I wouldn't risk my popularity to protect someone as low and worthless as me. Even if I was told to." I say. I watch as he shakes his head in disagreement. He looks up and I look straight into his eyes, reading all his thoughts.

 

"It's not because of Jinki. It's definitely not because of him. I passed by and I saw you lying on the ground, so small and defenceless. I don't mean that in an offensive way. I was angry that everyone was just watching you on the ground, no one was going to help you. I guess it was just an instinct that I had to protect you. Someone in my heart told me too. You are not low and worthless. You are something special Lee Hye Su."

 

"I don't know why I helped you. I guess it is because of Jinki. I'm not too sure." He says out loud. "Well thanks. I guess you aren't that bad after all" I say showing one of my rare smiles. He smiles back. I guess Kim Jonghyun isn't so bad after all...

 

Two different answers. The mind and heart never lie. Words are lies. Lies that protect people for the better. It's too bad that I can read his mind because now, I'm not protected.