Schizophrenia

Love Me For My Imperfections.

The next morning, Junsu found Minah fast asleep on the couch. Her bag was below her feet and Junsu noticed that she had her boots on the ground next to her. He slowly reached out his index finger and poked her arm. She slowly opened her eyes and looked around. Minah got up, clutching her head and .

“Morning.” Junsu said, with a smile on his face. Within the past few weeks, Junsu has grown to like her. Not as a lover, but somewhat of a sister. He saw Minah as a mom to him, even though she’s a couple of years younger than he is. It’s funny because Junsu was the most scared of her, when they found out she had a mental illness.

“Where am I?” Minah muttered.

“In the living room.” Junsu spoke, “I think you passed out from last night.”

Minah nodded her head and began to recall what happened. She remember storming out of the apartment, and wandering the streets for a good 2 hours before returning home and crashing on the couch. Her head pounded with every thought that ran though her mind.

“I think you should get some rest.” Junsu said.

Minah nodded her head. She got up and walked towards her bedroom. On the way there, she passed by Jaejoong, who looked at the ground the whole time. “A good morning would be nice.” Minah said.

“I didn’t think you’d speak to me after what happened.”

Minah wrinkled her nose. “What happened?” She asked, confused. She tried to remember last night, but all she could remember was walking around until her feet got sore.

“You honestly don’t remember?” Jaejoong said, interrupting her thoughts.

Minah shook her head. “Well, whatever I did…I’m sure it was no big deal.” She got into her room and collapsed on her bed. Within minutes, she fell asleep.

- -

“Dinner’s ready!” Minah called out. The fiver of them rushed to the dinner table and began to eat. Minah’s new and improved cooking skills have actually wowed them all. Although she did burn the food a few times here and there, most of the time, it tasted decent. There was a knock at the door and Minah went over to get it. It was DBSK’s manager, Mr. Kim.

“Hello, erm…”

“It’s Minah.”

“Yes, hello Minah! I’m here to see my boys, and I’ve got something for you as well.” Mr. Kim reached into the bag he carried and brought out what seemed like a portfolio. “It’s a study guide I made. It tells you all about DBSK, their habits, favourite foods, stuff like that.”

“Uhm, thanks, I guess.” Minah raised an eyebrow. Did he honestly think she’d read through all this? She sighed and followed him to the kitchen. There, they saw Yoochun crouched on the floor, gasping for air.

“What  happened here?!” Mr. Kim shrieked.

“He ate shrimps.” Yunho responded. “Junsu’s calling the hospital right now.”

“It’s your fault!” Jaejoong dashed towards Minah. “He’s allergic to shrimps!”

“How was I suppose to know?!” She shouted back at him.

“You’re the maid, you’re supposed to know!”

“Jae, calm down, it’s not her fault, she didn’t know.” Changmin butted in.

Yunho and Junsu carried Yoochun out the apartment, where the ambulance waited outside.

Minah closed her eyes. She wanted all this to disappear. She felt so humiliated, so stupid.

- -

“No wonder you mom left you.” He said, as he slapped her across the face. “No wonder you’re homeless.”

Minah had hot tears running down her eyes. “Please, stop.”

He continued to hit her, and beat her until she was breathless. She threw up blood beside her. “I don’t want to die.” She croaked.

- -

“STOP!” Minah yelled, “I DON’T WANT TO DIE!” She crouched on the floor, covering her head.

“Minah, what’s wrong?” Mr. Kim asked, “Why are you going to die?”

Jaejoong’s harsh face softened up, “Minah…” He reached out to help her up.

“Don’t touch me!” Minah screeched at him.

“Come on Minah, calm down.” Mr. Kim said to her. He patted her back and helped her up. He led her to her room then shut the door.

“What just happened…?” Jaejoong asked, confused and a bit terrified.

“I think you guys deserve to know.” Mr. Kim said.

Changmin and Jaejoong gathered around Mr. Kim. “I’m pretty sure you guys saw the newspaper article already. She does have a condition that can be triggered by anything, at any time.” He paused, and then started again, “She was diagnosed with schizophrenia a few months ago.”

“You guys let a crazy person to live with us?!” Jaejoong’s eyes widened. “How can you guys do this?! Get her out, now!”

“As much as I want to, I cannot. It is under the orders of SM’s chairman that we keep her here.”

“To keep her safe?” Changmin butted in.

“You can think of it as that.”

“Why would he want to keep her here? Can’t he put her in an institution?”

“I wasn’t told anymore than that. If you want to know, then you’ll just have to ask him yourselves.”

“But he wouldn’t tell us either.” Changmin said.

“Then you’ll just have to figure out for yourselves.” Mr. Kim said, before leaving the apartment.

Jaejoong looked over at Changmin, “Are you thinking what I’m thinking?” He said, slowly, almost in a whisper.

Changmin looked down at the ground then back at Jaejoong. “I’m thinking of finishing dinner…how about you?”

Jaejoong face palmed himself and shook his head. He was so anxious to figure out what SM was hiding. This called for some serious planning. And for starters, he can start being nicer to Minah. Who knows, maybe she’ll crack and spill everything out.