Are you feeling alright?

Love Me For My Imperfections.

“Achoo!” Minah sneezed under her umbrella. She wanted to kick herself for even coming out in this weather. Her shoes and socks were wet, not to mention her umbrella kept flying all over the place. This wouldn’t have happened if Changmin have been making a fuss about how he wanted chocolate cake. If he hadn’t kept whining and asking, Minah would not be going to the grocery store in this terrible weather.

Relief washed over her when she finally reached the grocery store. She picked up a basket and browsed the aisles for cake mix. She picked up a box of chocolate cake mix and chocolate icing. Minah grinned and got a pack of chocolate chips and a bottle of chocolate syrup. Changmin wanted chocolate? Minah will give it to him.

As she waited in line for the cash register, she heard a bunch of snickers from beside her. She looked over and saw two elderly women talking in low whispers and looking at her. She shrugged it off. Probably just some weird women who thinks Minah’s skipping school, considering it is the middle of the day.

Once Minah left the store, she was happy to see the rain has lifted. Now it was replaced with massive winds. She groaned at her bad luck. She pulled on her hood and began to walk home.

When she got home, she was shivering non-stop. It was bad enough that her clothes were wet, but after the winds outside, Minah was pretty sure her clothes – especially her socks – were frozen like popsicles.

“MINAH! YOU’RE HOME!” Changmin came running over. “DID YOU–”

“Yes.” Minah said through her teeth.

“Can we have cake now?!”

“After I make it.” Minah shot Changmin a dirty look. Don’t get Minah wrong – she doesn’t hate him. He’s like a brother to her. And just like a brother, he annoys the living day lights out of her.

Minah stumbled to the kitchen and started to prepare the chocolate cake, making sure she didn’t sneeze into the batter. Minah dumped in the bag of chocolate chips and the entire bottle of chocolate syrup, with a grim smeared across her face the entire time.

“Easy there.” Jaejoong said, “Is the circus in town, or did you take too much happy pills?”

“It’s for Changmin.” Minah shot Jaejoong a dirty look, “He wanted a chocolate cake, and well, I’m giving it to him.”

Jaejoong chuckled, “Let me help you.” He reached to the top of the pantry and pulled out a tin box. Inside was a bunch of candy. Minah and Jaejoong both smirked and tossed almost half the candy into the mix.

Minah gave an evil laugh, “Not only will he get chocolate, there’s a whole rainbow inside the cake waiting for him.”

“We should block the taps so he can’t get any water after all this, sweetness.” Jaejoong gestured towards the batter in the oven.

“Good idea!” Minah agreed.

- -

After the cake was done, Minah happily called Changmin to the table and set the cake down before him, all covered in chocolate icing. “Enjoy.” Minah sang.

Minah and Jaejoong stood back as they watched Changmin take a bite. “MINAH!” Changmin screamed, “IT’S DELICIOUS!”

Minah and Jaejoong’s faces both fell. “You..you what?” Minah exclaimed. “You think it’s…WHAT?”

“It’s sooo good! You should make it more often!” Changmin replied happily, taking another bite.

Minah looked at Jaejoong in disbelief. Jaejoong smirked at her and whispered, “Give him a minute.”

And he was right. Just after the second bite, Changmin jumped up screaming. Minah and Jaejoong burst into laughter.

“It’s too sweeeeet” Changmin ran towards the sink to get water, only to find it completely blocked, which only made Minah and Jaejoong laugh harder.

Minah clutched her stomach, unable to take the humour, “That’ll teach you to make me go out in the cold and rain!” She laughed.

“It’s not funny!” Changmin yelled, “AND YOU!” He pointed to Jaejoong, “Were you in on this?”

“Hey, you took my favourite shirt and didn’t give it back, its revenge.”

Changmin opened the fridge and chugged a bottle of orange juice. He gave the two a dirty look before returning back to his room.

Minah and Jaejoong looked at each other and burst into laughter again. “Did you see his face?” Jaejoong laughed.

“Did I ever!” Minah calmed down a bit and sat down where Changmin was sitting. “Thanks, for helping, you know.”

Jaejoong smiled back, “No problem.”

“No, really, thanks. I haven’t laughed that much since–” Minah stopped herself and wrinkled her eyebrows. “Just…thanks.” Minah smiled at Jaejoong.

Jaejoong felt his cheeks flush and quickly looked down at his feet before Minah could notice. He then took the seat across from her. “And I really mean it, no problem.”

Jaejoong gave Minah another warm smile which sent tingles down Minah’s spine. Jaejoong looked up and they locked eyes. His dark chestnut coloured eyes starred straight into Minah’s plain brown eyes. Jaejoong’s smile made her feel warm and welcome, almost as if she was coming home to a fireplace on a cold winter day. Or, drinking hot chocolate while snuggling with a good book. Whatever the feeling was, it felt nice. Inviting. It felt –right. She felt herself smile in return. It’s true what they say–

Smiles are contagious.

- -

 “Minah, get up.” Junsu shook Minah lightly by the shoulders. Minah mumbled something under her covers that Junsu couldn’t quite hear. “What was that?” Junsu asked.

“What time is it?” She mumbled lightly again.

“It’s almost 1:00pm.” Junsu replied.

“Oh, !” Minah stumbled up, but almost fell over, “It’s so late! Sorry.”

Junsu shook his head, “Don’t worry about it!” He smiled then left the room.

Minah blinked a couple of time before getting up and rummaging through her clothes. She settled for a pair of black sweats and a grey t-shirt – her orphanage’s gym clothes. The whole time she got dressed, she felt nauseous and tired. She sat back on her bed, and placed her hand over her forehead. It was warmer than usual. Was she coming down with a fever? No. Minah shook her head. She can’t. She had to stay in tip top shape and make sure meals are being served and the house the being cleaned. But then again, yesterday’s weather has been very brutal.

Minah decided to throw on a sweater over her shirt, to keep herself warm and to prevent anymore sickness. She got to the living room and all eyes were on her. “What? Do I have something on my face?”

“You look…” Yoochun started.

“Like a ghost.” Jaejoong finished.

“I what?” Minah exclaimed.

“Are you alright? You’re really pale.” Jaejoong asked, concern written all over his face.

“Fine.” Minah replied. She strolled to the kitchen and began to do the dishes. Minah sneezed a couple of times, and almost hurled right into the sink. She hid all of her sickness and the guys didn’t seem to notice. She decided to retreat to her room after doing the dishes so she doesn’t get anyone sick. It wasn’t until an hour later that she heard the door shut and knew the guys were off to practice. She slid out of her room and began to clean the house. Funny thing, because she should be keeping herself clean from all this bacterial spreading through her body. She chuckled at the thought.

Minah was about to vacuum the floor when she saw a crumpled piece of paper, just under the couch. She stretched herself and reached under. She pulled out the piece of paper and unfolded it.

She instantly felt more nauseous than before.

It was a printed news article.

Not just any article.

It was about her, and very touchy subject.

According to the Seoul Star, Minah was sick.

Very, very sick.

She was mentally ill.