Moment of Truth

How Far Will We Go

As the clock ticked by, Aiden felt his heart beat faster. Before they sat down, he was able to tell his mom not to talk about the whole school situation in a brief two sentences. Hopefully she got the gist but she was frowning. He might have not told her clearly enough since she was so preoccupied.

When they finally situated around the dinner table, the air was tense. Firstly, because of the impending proposal and the school incident that has now passed. Jessica's father broke the silence in the worst way possible, with the single question that they trying to avoid. His voice echoed across the dining room.

"How's school?" Jessica's father asked as he looked around the table. He gave Aiden and Jessica expectant glances.

Everyone but Jessica's parents froze at the sudden question. Everyone stared at Aiden. He was looking at his food trying to hide. It wasn't working. Jessica nudged him.

"School?" Aiden looked at Jessica who was avoiding his eyes. A playful smile erupted on his lips. "School is great."

"How are your classes?" Her mother pitched in.

"Great." Jessica replied with a nervous smile. "Not as bad as last quarter."

"Indeed." Aiden's dad burst into laughter. Aiden gaped at his father. "I heard from Aiden that you were teaching one of his classes."

"Is that true?" Jessica's mom began to laugh as well. "Did you give him all the highest marks possible?"

Jessica peeked at Aiden as she spoke. She also looked at his parents. They wouldn't want to hear that he got bad grades, did he? But since they were already lying, she felt bad about adding more. So she told the truth. "I couldn't, he didn't finish his homework on time."

"Aiden..." His mom gave him an angry frown. She waved her knife threateningly in the air. "You said you would try this quarter."

"I am, I am. She's a tough grader." Aiden stammered and broke out into cold sweat. He  sent his dad a warning glance. STOP TALKING ABOUT SCHOOL, he mentally sent to his dad.

His dad responded with a frown. HOW? His father shrugged and continued eating.

"When do you think you'll come home to visit then?" Her mother asked randomly. "And Aiden too, the six of us should go on vacation."

"That sounds nice." His mom replied. "We could go visit America, like New York."

"America?" Jessica choked on her food. "What about America?"

"Let's go there on your break?" Her mom passed her a napkin. "Be careful honey."

"Sorry. It was really delicious." Jessica gave her mom a grateful smile. "It really is Mrs Liu."

"Aww call me mother-in-law, darling." Aiden's mom smiled at her brightly. His mom brightened up when Jessica responded.

"Thank you, mother." Jessica left out the in-law because it sounded awkward.

The rest of the dinner went pleasantly well. Aiden and Jessica managed to deflect all the following questions about school. Since school wasn't on the table, they kept hinting indirectly about their potential engagement. Aiden's ear would turn red at the discussions of grandchildren and Jessica would flush. 

The families later retired to the living room with their deserts of fruit and cakes that Jessica's parents bought. Aiden's mom then did something unnecessary.

"I think we need some more fruits. Go buy some down the street." Aiden's mom pushed  Aiden out the door.

"Only me?" Aiden sent his mom a whiny expression. He looked outside. "It's super cold outside."

"So?" His mom scoffed. "I didn't raise you to be picky."

Jessica was pushed out the door by Jessica's mom. She yelped and sent her mom a pleading glance. "Mom?"

"Go together." The moms were grinning, arms linked together. They had executed the perfect plan. They would discuss the marriage arrangements while they were gone. "Come back safely!"

***

"It's cold out here." Jessica pulled at his jacket. "Gimme."

"If you're cold, what do you think I am?" Aiden grumbled as he took off his jacket.

"You should say you're not cold."

"I'm not cold." Aiden repeated her words. He rubbed his hands together. 

"Good." She pecked his lips. "Why is your jacket so heavy?"

Aiden froze. Did he really leave the box in the jacket? How would he get that back without her noticing?

"Uhh the zipper's heavy. Come here for a bit." He pulled at the sides of the jacket and tried to nonchalantly pull out the box. He managed to get it out but he wasn't sure she didn't notice.

"Thanks?" She stuffed her hands into the pockets. Thank God he got to them first.

Aiden breathed a sigh of relief as Jessica appeared to be indifferent about what Aiden shoved behind his back. She continued down the street humming.

"Why is it so cold at this time of the year." Aiden silently screamed at himself. The hand holding the box was throbbing as if in pain. He couldn't muster the courage to pull it in front of him and show her. Maybe then he should wait. He felt his heart beat so fast and he actually wasn't cold. He was on fire. 

"Cause it's night?" She glanced at him. "Do you want to share?"

"Share what? My jacket? It's too small." Aiden declined. "I'd rather you wear it."

"Thank you." She kissed him while rubbing his arms. He was wearing a short sleeve. She felt kind of bad but happy because he valued her so much higher than himself. Then she noticed that his hand was behind his back. Was he that cold? "What's with your hand?"

Aiden froze. Literally and physically. The air was now hitting him and he felt like a deer caught by a car's headlights. He was stiff and tense. "What?"

"Your hand? What are you hiding?" She leaned back to peek at his back.

"Nothing..." He turned so that he was facing her. He was walking sideways as they continued on.

"Tell me!" Jessica reached behind his back and frowned. "What the heck is this?"