Why Are You Broken?

College With The Boys

--Joyce’s POV--

I opened the door and was shocked when Key ran inside, instantly squeezing his arms around me and began sobbing uncontrollably into my neck. I looked around in panick and laughed awkwardly when a person walked by, “Nothing to see here!” I yelled at the person and slammed the door close with my foot. “Key! Umma! What’s wrong?!”

He mumbled and slurred words into my neck that I couldn’t comprehend, squeezing me even tighter and bawling harder. My neck and shoulder began feeling moist with hot tears. My breath hitched at the tightness around my stomach and back, my sunburn didn’t quite heal completely yet. 

“Umma calm down, calm down!” I begged desperately, slowly making my way to my bed, dragging Key along who wouldn’t let go of me for his life. I patted his back panicking, “Umma shhh shhh, Joyce is here, umma… Stop crying..” My heart ached seeing Key like this. Who did this to him? I sat him down on my bed and he continued to cry.

He was unable to catch his breath and breathed harshly, still latched onto me like a leech. I reached for a handkerchief on the side table of my bed and began wiping away stray tears that flowed out of Key’s eyes so freely. I heard Taemin move in his bed and he popped his head up at us, “U-umma?” he said with a raspy voice and blinked his tired eyes.

I just put a finger over my mouth and continued to pat Key’s back, “Just go back to sleep, Taeminah.” I whispered to him. He was too exhausted and sick to take in any of what was going on and he laid back in his bed.

45 minutes later and Key was still crying. When he had calmed down a little bit I tried asking him what happened but that just made him burst back into tears. I pinched my eyes shut, aish, see what you did Joyce? pabo! My shoulder was soaked and my arm ached for holding Key for so long. I laid him down on my bed but he refused to let go of me so I ended up laying down with him.

“What.. Happened, Key?” I tried asking again softly, running my fingers through his hair to calm him down.

He whimpered, “J-j..j-jong..” he managed to sob in between deep breaths as he continued to weep. I didn’t ask him anymore after that and felt my heart sank. Jonghyun? He wouldn’t do this, he couldn’t do this? I rubbed his back comfortingly and he cried himself to sleep.

 

--Key’s POV, 6:00am--

I don’t remember when I fell asleep, but I’m pretty sure it was just me passing out from crying so hard. I opened my heavily lidded eyes. My arms rested across someone’s stomach, Joyce’s, and I picked a hand up to rub my aching eye. It felt totally swollen and I could barely see out of them as I blink them open.

My head throbbed excruciatingly. Joyce moved, noticing I had woken up. She perked her head up, “Key?” she asked quietly. I sat up and rubbed my temples painfully. “Key..” I heard her whisper and sit up, putting a hand on my back. A rush of emotion shot through me as I started slowly recalling all of what had happened today. My chest heaved and I let out a pained cry as tears cascaded down my cheeks one at a time.

I bit my lip hard, trying to prevent myself from bursting into tears again but I soon started hyperventilating, choking on my breaths. Joyce patted my back desperately. “Key, shh shh breath breath.. stop crying.. Why are you crying.. Key..” I hated myself for breaking down in front of her, not being strong but being weak.

 

--25 minutes later--

I managed to catch my breath after a while as I leaned onto Joyce’s shoulder. I felt extremely relieved that she let me cry all I wanted though I was sure I had been crying the entire night. Tears still continued to run out of my eyes but it was calmer than before.

“Will you tell me what happened now.. Key?” she whispered gently, my hair. I almost broke into tears again but I just shook my head and gritted my teeth as words stuttered out of my mouth.

“J-j..j-jong.” I mumbled, breathing as deep as I could to control myself. She looked at me with caring and sorrowful eyes as I slowly spilled out what happened earlier.

 

--Flashback: The other night when the boys visited Joyce and sick Taemin--

Taemin looked much better after our visit. Having a good laugh with your hyungs always makes you feel better. I was really glad Taemin liked the bear I got him. Our fun soon ended when it struck 11:00 pm and Joyce told us to go back to our own dorms so Taemin could rest. I frowned, not wanting to leave my baby but Jjong pulled on my hand, insisting me to let him rest.

I gave both Taemin and Joyce a quick peck on the foreheads. “Hey, what about me?” Onew smiled cheesily. I put my fingers to my lips kissing them and I pressed the against Onew’s forehead harshly pushing him back. He stumbled back and frowned at me. We laughed and I took Jjongs hand before following him out of their room and to our own, “Goodnight~” I sang sweetly before closing their door.

“Ah~” I smiled as we walked into our dorm, collapsing into our bed, breathing in Jonghyun’s sweet mint smell in the covers. He plopped his phone onto the side table before picking up some clothes from his closet and grabbing a towel.

“Jagi, I’m gonna take a shower, kay?” He smiled, “Unless you wanna join me?” I giggled, shaking my head even though I wanted to. I was just too tired from exhausting karate classes. He nodded and walked into the bathroom alone, hearing the sizzle of the shower head rain water down in the tub as he turned the knob from cold to hot.

I dressed into pajamas quickly and laid back down on our bed comfortably. I closed my eyes peacefully but making sure I didn’t fall asleep without Jjong by my side. I thought about happy moments that we spent together that day, the insides of my tummy tickling whenever I thought about my sweet lover.

A buzz on the side table made me jump and ruin my thoughts. I sat up annoyed and looked over to Jonghyun’s phone vibrating repeatedly on the table. I bit my lip, resisting the temptation to look through his phone again. I looked at the bathroom door, listening to the sound of Jonghyun still deep in his shower and I looked back at the phone, buzzing irritatingly.

I finally picked it up and without thinking I unlocked his phone. I read the screen, one text message from ‘Seki’. My eyes dilated and I pressed the ‘Read’ button instantly and read the text.

Seki: Oppa, don’t ignore me, I know you’re reading this ;)

I gasped, instantly exiting out of it and going into his inbox to see if there were any more messages from this ‘Seki’, but to my dismay it was empty. I opened a new message and typed angrily.

Me(Key‘s typing): WHO THE HELL ARE U? STAY OFF MY BOYFRIEND.

I pressed ‘Send’ with no hesitation but I almost choked on a breath as I noticed Jjong standing next to me, fresh out of the shower with droplets of water dripping off his freshly washed hair. I dropped his phone in shock, had I not known he was standing there the whole time?! When did he even get out of the shower?! I picked up his phone pathetically and stuck my hand out in front of him with my head bowed down.

He snatched it out of my hand which lead me to take in a sharp breath, indicating he was angry. “What is the meaning of all of this, Key?” He asked me harshly. I whimpered quietly, knowing how much it irritated him when I looked through his phone. “Well?” he pressed.

“I.. I d-didn’t mean to..” I mumbled.

“You didn’t mean to?” his voice was ticked off.

“Who’s Seki?” I burst, looking up at him as he stood in front of me while I still sat on the bed.

“No one you need to worry about.” he said flatly, squeezing his eyebrows together  and pinching the bridge of his nose to try and calm down.

“Then why-” I started saying but he cut me off.

“You don’t trust me?” he asked with a hint of sorrow in his voice but still came strongly into my ear.

“Its not like I don’t trust you..” I felt pathetic and sorry. I quickly regretted yelling and  I just wanted to get on my knees and beg him for forgiveness.

“Then how do you explain this?” he shoved his phone into my face. I read the text on the screen, it was the message I sent to that damn ‘Seki’.

“Who is she?!” I demanded, yelling now as I felt anger bubble up in me. I painfully held in tears that were pushing to come out.

“Shin Se Kyung, child hood friend, you happy now?” he said harshly. I scoffed, not believing him. “How can you be like this to me, Key?” I looked up at him in confusion. “You look through my phone like you don’t trust me, you boss me around like I’m some maid and you max out all of my credit cards.” I stared straight into his eyes the whole time, I didn’t even notice a tear fall stray out of my eye as he continued to yell at me bitterly. “You know I don’t have all the money in this world!”

“Th-that's got nothing to do with this!” I stuttered, biting my lip at the threatening waterfall of tears pursuing behind my eyes.

“Doesn't matter. You can’t even trust me. How am I supposed to feel, Key? How?” he asked sharply. I couldn’t talk and my throat felt extremely dry. He shook his head.

"B-b-but.." I croaked.

“I’m so damn sick of your diva attitude.” he concluded. I felt a pang in my heart that rang in my head over and over again. I reached my hand up to grab his for forgiveness but he stepped back before I could. “I’m sleeping in this bed, tonight.” he said quietly before slipping into our spare bed and pulling the cold sheets over him, “Shut the lights when you’re going to sleep. Goodnight.”

I sat in place, frozen. I looked across to my lover in the other bed. I bit my lips as it trembled and tears flooded my eyes. I whimpered quietly, trying not to disturb Jonghyun anymore. I shut the lamp on the side table off, my hand shaking as I reached for the switch. The room dimmed and I quietly went into our bed, my small body only fitting half the space. It was cold and I traced a finger over his usual spot in our bed, feeling extremely empty inside and outside.

His words rang in my head like a never ending echo and like a broken record that could never be fixed. It put a pain in my heart so bad that my chest ached. I buried myself deep into the comforter and whimpered into a pillow, trying to muffle my sobbing. Jonghyun never yelled at me like that before and I never knew he would. I kept recalling how harshly he said those words to me, how painful his words were, and how true he was. I was becoming possessive and my attitude has been its worst. I wished that everything would just blow away and be normal the next morning, having my lover hold me in his arms, loving me again. I was wrong.

I don’t remember falling asleep that night, but I woke up the next morning with swollen eyes and a headache. I felt someone shaking my shoulder and I looked up to see a blurry Jonghyun. My vision cleared after a few seconds and I saw that he was already dressed for class. “Get ready, class starts in 20.” Before I could say anything to him he turned and walked away, leaving my mouth hanging open. I watched him as he coldly picked up his bag and went straight to the door, not even looking back at me once. He closed it with a bang and left me in bed, feeling more alone than ever.

 

-----------------------------

ohmygod, I actually started tearing when I was typing this, AH ToT Are you guys crying yet?

What happened that day? What made Key finally break down? And who really is this Shin se kyung to Jonghyun? GASP~

Mehehehehe >:) cliffhangers, gotta love em XD

The rest of Key’s flashback of what happened will continue in the next chapter, so please look forward to it!

COMMENT COMMENT <3